2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had painted silver (clearcoat) wheels before, but could never recall starting out with clean wheels that will look caked in brake dust and road grime after 20 miles of mixed driving (dry conditions) and I'm trying to understand it better.

They're not the easiest to clean, I tried some old spray wheel cleaner I had in the garage with some water and a cloth to wipe it off, as instructed and it worked OK but a pain and messy. This was after already running it through a good automatic touchless car wash with no difference.

Anyone have the best way of cleaning/protecting this other than the good ol' soapy brush and bucket? This is only my second time washing the car and I'm already over it 馃槉 the rest of the vehicle is a breeze...

Footnote: This was after minimal driving, midweek somewhere between "clean" and "dirty". Photo for reference only.

Premium Member
When I have an issue like that I would usually call the local auto parts store and ask them. They probably know a greater deal then the average person on what works or not. If you have a local place that cleans cars maybe ask them too. Did you try buffing the rims with a soft wash brush?

To be honest I usually just use the regular soap and water mixture and use a sponge to wash my rims and it turns out okay but then my standards are fairly low compared to others.

Reactions: brianguy714

Registered
I used this stuff for years on a previous car which used to get caked in brake dust especially on the front wheels.
I am usually not a great fan of ArmorAll products but I found this stuff actually does repel brake dust and my wheels stayed clean for much longer.
It works well on polished alloys and silver painted rims but not so much on black rims.
You just clean and dry the wheel rims well and spray it on making sure you cover the whole rim but then do not drive the car and leave it overnight for best results and you will find it repels the brake dust for many weeks. Just ensure you do not touch the rims after application with your hands or a cloth because that will remove the film.
I found one can lasted me around 4 applications of all 4 wheels or 4 to 6 months.

Probably find it cheaper if you shop around or google the product. I often picked it up much cheaper than shown in this link (in Australia). :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used this stuff for years on a previous car which used to get caked in brake dust especially on the front wheels.
It works well on polished alloys and silver painted rims but not so much on black rims.
You just clean the wheel rims well and just spray it on and leave it overnight for best results and you will find it repels the brake dust for many weeks. Just ensure you do not touch it with your hands because it will remove it on that spot.

Probably find it cheaper if you shop around.
What is the name? I bought the Chemical Guys citrus-based wheel & tire cleaner on Amazon which should arrive soon but I also want something to apply after wash & dry to protect it so that the sticky brake dust combined with road dirt and grime is easier to wash off every week.

After messing around with a little more elbow grease in the meantime, I noticed a few things: one the black carbon pads on this '18 are particularly dusty which I did not have on my past cars, that probably had more metallic brake pads. And also, two of my wheels are slightly pitted in the clearcoat, but the other side they're both fine. I bought the car used so that's partly to be expected but it was adding to my difficulty cleaning them since the dust and grime was sticking more where the finish isn't as smooth, so that kinda answered that question.

Will just step up on the maintenance since I can't stand dirty (upsized) wheels on an otherwise clean car, but may consider replacing at least one wheel or getting it re-cleared in the future if it gets worse. I was also planning to get some winter wheels and tires by fall, so it should get easier to keep clean shoes year-round.

Registered
What is the name? I bought the Chemical Guys citrus-based wheel & tire cleaner on Amazon which should arrive soon but I also want something to apply after wash & dry to protect it so that the sticky brake dust combined with road dirt and grime is easier to wash off every week.

After messing around with a little more elbow grease in the meantime, I noticed a few things: one the black carbon pads on this '18 are particularly dusty which I did not have on my past cars, that probably had more metallic brake pads. And also, two of my wheels are slightly pitted in the clearcoat, but the other side they're both fine. I bought the car used so that's partly to be expected but it was adding to my difficulty cleaning them since the dust and grime was sticking more where the finish isn't as smooth, so that kinda answered that question.

Will just step up on the maintenance since I can't stand dirty (upsized) wheels on an otherwise clean car, but may consider replacing at least one wheel or getting it re-cleared in the future if it gets worse. I was also planning to get some winter wheels and tires by fall, so it should get easier to keep clean shoes year-round.

Sorry...forgot to put the link...it's on there now with more details about the product. ;)
Also, you don't wash this stuff off until you want to reapply it. You just leave it and it should last for weeks.
It is not a brake dust cleaner like the Chemical guys stuff...it is a repellent to stop/reduce the effect of brake dust gathering.

Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
You can get wheels ceramic coated which is supposed to make them a lot easier to clean. Be careful using any dedicated wheel cleaning product as some can be harsh on the wheel.

Changing brake pads to a low dust variety could also help.

Registered
You can get wheels ceramic coated which is supposed to make them a lot easier to clean. Be careful using any dedicated wheel cleaning product as some can be harsh on the wheel.
True...but I used this ArmorAll stuff on my Renault RS Clio with silver painted wheels similar to the Escape wheels for over 3 years with no detrimental effects.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry...forgot to put the link...it's on there now with more details about the product. ;)
Also, you don't wash this stuff off until you want to reapply it. You just leave it and it should last for weeks.
It is not a brake dust cleaner like the Chemical guys stuff...it is a repellent to stop/reduce the effect of brake dust gathering.
Sounds good I've also seen waxes and ceramics (some of which claim to do the same thing) but something easy to apply periodically for the final step is nice. I'll check it out

Registered
You should try Rim Job. I feel like a new man after trying it. I mean, there鈥檚 a little rubbing involved but my Sport Appearance rims have never looked as good after a good Rim Job application.

B75AC05A-0D64-4719-94CC-C432FFFB84DE.png

Registered
You should try Rim Job. I feel like a new man after trying it. I mean, there鈥檚 a little rubbing involved but my Sport Appearance rims have never looked as good after a good Rim Job application.

View attachment 79263
I am assuming you are talking about your Escape...:p:p.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts