2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I just thought I would share what's happened so far in my adventure to try to make my bypass valve vent to atmosphere for cheap. so like boomba racing and others, they have a adapter that works for the 1.6 1.5 EcoBoost engine that sandwiches between our bypass valve that allows it to vent to atmosphere so you get the cool woosh sound. That's all it's for, there's no performance benefit just for the woosh sound but they're like 60 bucks and they don't say they work for our 2.0 engine so I'm not about to spend 60 bucks on something that might not fit but I did find a copy on eBay for $16 so I bought and got it in yesterday and spent 2 hours trying to make it fit. so far what I found is one of the holes is slightly different so I had to take a Dremel and extend the whole slightly towards the center also, when you turn it you can only use two of the three possible combinations for lining up the holes once you've dremeled in the part of the flange. Also once I did that and put it on where it should have worked I found that there's a bolt in the way of the bottom right bolt for the BOV. It looks like it goes from the engine to the transmission possibly that is in the way where you can't get the bottom right screw in and I watched a video for the focus ST boomba racing blow off valve where they had to like cut the edge off of that screw hole on the flange and use a shorter bolt so I might have to do something like that. but so far in case any of y'all were wondering yes the 1.6 blow of valve adapter will not work on our engines without modification and so far I've not been able to make that modification work. I would have taken more pictures but there's not really a point because I can't get it to work and honestly it's such a pain in the ass getting in there the the pictures wouldn't be very good. I do want to mention it is the stupidest design of a blow off valve I've ever seen in my life and it is the worst possible location I've ever seen for a blow off valve. I'll post again once I've had time to try it again with different length bolts and possibly take out that transmission bolt first then put in the blow off valve adapter then put the transmission bolt back in and see if something like that will work.
Here's the link to what I bought I guess it's a dollar cheaper now. I might also see if I can maybe just mill the flange thinner and then that would hopefully stop the bolt from getting in the way but I'd rather not do that because most people don't have the ability to mill that thinner while keeping it flat so that it mates up correctly without leaking. in fact I don't have that ability I would have to go to my friend who has a milling machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
So I decided to give it another go and I just wanted to let y'all know that I wasted $16 because the person who designed this blow off valve and the turbo housing got it wrong. It is the worst design I've ever seen for a blow off valve. Basically skipping past how it's almost impossible to work on and get your hands in there, the problem is there's a nut in the way of the bottom right bolt so when you try to put the longer bolts in you can't because the bolt for what looks like mounting the engine to the transmission is in the way it'll be in the picture I include below. and the flange on this thing is too thick and I was going to mill it down but I just don't think there's enough room to mill it down and still have it function . I'm done I'm just going to buy the turbo smart blow off valve and if you want the woosh sound you're just going to have to pay a hundred and whatever dollars for a real bov. Sorry gave at my best but this thing is stupid and ridiculous and once again if I knew who was responsible for this design I would kick them in the nut s so many times.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I went ahead and milled down that blow off spacer and yeah there's no way to make it work because when you mill it down then it's too thin for the diaphragm and the piston so just do yourself a favor and buy the turbo smarter whatever blow off valve actually is made for this engine and yeah

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
just want to let everyone know I did find a cheap option for a blow off valve I got to put in today drove it around and so far it seems to be working good It releases the atmosphere easy I did leave the stock spring in that they had in there but it does have three other choices if you buy it it's like 35 bucks I'll try to post a link to it in here sorry I didn't take pictures of the install but it's just three bolts. I just realized actually I have one on there for like 20 bucks so if you buy it I'd go for that one if it's still on there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm trying to put a link to a video of that cheap blow off valve It works pretty good you can hear the release pretty much even with the windows up let's off immediately it's not as loud as the one was on one of my last cars which had a vortec V3 on my mustang but still pretty good.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to add one more message it's the third day since I've had this blow off valve on and I've already done a 300 mi round trip to Flagstaff and back and so far everything's working great still sounds good so I think I'll put my stamp of approval on this one and if y'all want a cheap blow valve I would suggest it

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure and it's still working good I'm driving right now and enjoying the woosh sound

1 - 9 of 9 Posts