2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the past 24 hrs. Our 2018 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost (51,000 miles) has gone from running perfectly to throwing a P0171 code (lean bank 1), to failure to start at all and throwing a P0300 (random misfire) code.

Any thoughts on what might be going on here?

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
722 Posts
When was the last time you got gas and what did you put in it?
Second thing that comes to mind is the canister vent solenoid, followed by a cam position sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did just fill it up yesterday. Same station and premium unleaded like usual.

I was thinking possible CPS too. Canister vent solenoid? Is that off the fuel tank?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I don’t think it has to do with emissions. I think you have unmetered air getting into a cylinder. A leak somewhere perhaps?

Reactions: ajef7885

·
Registered
722 Posts
The CPV is known for causing no-start or stalling problems when it goes bad and it usually manifests itself right after a fill up.
Verify your part number against your VIN on a Ford dealer part site, here's a rough example of what it looks like.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
The CPV is known for causing no-start or stalling problems when it goes bad and it usually manifests itself right after a fill up.
Verify your part number against your VIN on a Ford dealer part site, here's a rough example of what it looks like.
Yes, but getting those codes does not jive with the CPV. On top of that, a 2018 is a little early for that to fail. I respectively disagree with your assumption.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that doesn't look very easy to install. I have no experience with anything Ecoboost to this point and haven't even changed the oil in it myself because we got a package deal at the dealership. We just had the transmission fluid and oil changed two thousand miles ago. Pretty frustating to go from running perfectly to won't even start in the span of one day.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A bit of a long shot but a couple of cases where I live the fuel delivery guys have put the wrong fuel in the wrong storage tanks. I assume you have diesel if you call it that in the USA as well as petrol (gas).

I doubt it is this and will be something else but may be worth putting in a call to where you filled up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had the same issue on my 3.5 EB F150. For me the cause was the o2 sensor for Bank 2 - which caused the Bank 2 Lean code and misfires on Bank 2.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The reason that I point to the CPV is that I had the issue of getting bank zero O2 codes due to my son's habbit of trying to put every last drop possible into the tank when he filled it up. Dealer said it was blocking the tank vent and that the O2 code was bogus, the overflow was causing over rich fuel vapors into the evap system.

The P0300 with a no start is common on the Focus/Fusion when the CPV goes bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did put a little extra in the tank - just to get to an even dollar amount, but then immediately drove 15-20 miles without issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2017 Titanium with 2.0 ltr and 56,000 miles. I just had Ford replace the coil for bank1. When they ran their diagnotic on it thats what came up. My check engine light of course had come on for this problem and the car had rough idle and rough start. I went ahead and had them repace all 4 spark plugs while they were at it. These turbo engines wear the plugs out quicker than non-turbo models.
FYI, I used my extended warranty to fix this problem just in case that becomes a question.
The plugs needing replaced is expected, but the coil was not, so in my opinion, it is a failure that shouldn't happen.
A trip to your service representative is unavoidable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well... I had the vehicle hauled off to the dealership. I can only wait and see what they say at this point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts