2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
I read something very interesting about focus rs head gasket failure mechanism, which, i think it apply to all open deck design ecoboost engines:
"The Focus RS 2.3 Ecoboost engine block is an open deck design. This means that the cylinders are not attached to the outside of the block structure at the sealing surface of the head gasket. This space is filled with engine coolant.
The head and block are secured to each other using torque to yield bolts (which do not require re-torquing the head fasteners after the engine is heat cycled). In spite of this there is inevitable movement between the two sealing surfaces. The two types of movement are vertical movement (which is what causes head lift and a sudden gasket failure) as well as lateral movement. This lateral movement is of most interest in this situation. Minute lateral movement causes what is called gasket fretting/scrubbing. There are two mechanisms that cause this lateral movement:
  1. Thermal deformation. As the engine is brought through a range of temperatures (within normal operation), the expansion and contraction of the head and block cause this lateral movement between the two interfaces. The movement caused by this is however low cycle, as the engine is warmed up and cooled down relatively few times compared to the next mechanism.
  2. The most relevant mechanism for lateral movement is due to cylinder firing. When a cylinder fires, it applies pressure on the open deck cylinder structure. This in turn causes this minute movement between the two interfaces scrubbing them at a high rate."
The entire article here: Blog : Focus RS Head Gasket Failure Mechanism : Stratified Automotive Controls
That was debunked a while ago (well 3-4 months after the release of the blog you referenced) ... And I shouldn't say debunked but, found to not be the root cause of the problem.

The source of Focus RS failures were that the wrong head gasket was used. Some RS's had the head gasket from the Mustang 2.3L installed instead of the correct one for the RS. Second article below is more detailed.

To keep on point of the conversation, interesting and I agree, TSB is garbage. That means if you have an affected vehicle, outside of warranty, it's out of your own pocket. Thankfully my daughter has an extended warranty on hers. She was living at home when she bought her 2017 almost two years ago (late 2018) but we knew she'd be moving out on her own afterwards. That happened in January of this year so, while I am more than willing to help her if she has car troubles, she has the means to take care of it on her own now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been noticing my coolant has been running low after a day or two even after I add some coolant in it. There are no obvious signs of any leaks. I'm not sure what is going on. I've been to a couple of mechanics and they haven't seen anything yet. I live close to Houston Texas. Its starting to get hot here. I wonder if that could be anything to do with the always low coolant. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
I've been noticing my coolant has been running low after a day or two even after I add some coolant in it. There are no obvious signs of any leaks. I'm not sure what is going on. I've been to a couple of mechanics and they haven't seen anything yet. I live close to Houston Texas. Its starting to get hot here. I wonder if that could be anything to do with the always low coolant. Thanks in advance
It would be helpful, If you provided the mileage on your Escape. Also, I reccomend that you search this site for other posting on same topic. Best case based on what you have provided is an external leak somewhere and the worse case is that coolant may be leaking into the engine. There may be a TSB on this vehicle for the latter. As I recall it involves models built during a certain time period. Again, check this site for more details. I would assume you are still under warranty?

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
I merged your thread with this existing thread.

·
Super Moderator
2,229 Posts
I've been noticing my coolant has been running low after a day or two even after I add some coolant in it.
You've got the 2.0l EcoBoost, what year? (I'm guessing you may have posted that info in your thread's subject but it got lost in the merge.)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts