2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have two 2017s that are identical but for the 1.5 and 2.0 engine and the exterior color.
I feel that the 1.5 is adequate for most all driving but since my wife drives the 1.5 in mostly city driving it's average MPG is at 23.3 after 2500 miles (since June) and my 2.0 gets more highway time and it's at 30.4 average with about 3000 miles (since July) right now.
They are comfortable and drive nice. 0:)
My wife's biggest derogatory comment is that it drives more like a mini-van to her. She says that her old 2008 Escape 4cyl AWD. drove more like a truck. I am only reporting...not agreeing.

The stop /start feature isn't too annoying but it invariably has to restart within 3 seconds or less of when it stalls at a traffic light. Either the light is going to change soon after it stops or the cars in the line tend to stop for the red light and then they inch up a bit. I don't think that this is a local thing. People just do this. and if you don't close ranks then the guy behind you gets ticked. There is also another issue when the car stops and the steering wheel is turned, it kicks.

My big issue? Ok, a minor issue after a bit of history. I learned to drive on a simpler car. Wind-up windows and vents, no air conditioning, no power steering or power disc brakes on all fours. I mean, my grandpa's 49 Dodge had this lever that you pushed and a vent rose up in front of the windshield for forced fresh air...I think that there was a heater but the seats were wool and there was an old USMC wool blanket in case it was cold out.

So, a lot of features are nice on these new-fangled buggies but not all that important to my old mind. For example, the backup camera is nice but now I feel that I have to check my 5 mirrors, one camera, I also have to turn my head to the quarter panel windows to check while backing up from a parking space because none of the mirrors or that camera look to the left and right for the texting walkers in the Walmart parking lots.

There is a tendency to pack too much of these neat features into the electronic gadgets,
& Trying to navigate the on-screen controls isn't worth the danger and distraction while driving.

Sooo...since it's getting into the 50's F in the mornings and the air conditioning is needed in the afternoons in Ohio at this time (early September)...I need to figure out how to change from air conditioning to just plain vents and heater on the automatic climate control. This car isn't equipped to do this with one button it seems....

If I hit the "auto" button then the air conditioning turns on and I can set the global or zones temperatures to a nice comfy place but when it's colder outside,
I want to turn off the automatic and go into just heater or vent.
So, Logically,
1) pushing the "Auto" button turns off the auto but...
2) then the air conditioner remains turned on and goes into polar mode as the fan kicks into hyper freeze and 747 jet blast.
3)Turning off the air conditioner next turns on the auto light. Fan's still at Force 10.
4) Turning off the auto and then hitting the floor and chest vents. and finally I'm good but my wife yells about the temperature and spooling F18 afterburner fan speed...and opens the window.

Is there an installation procedure for that new Amazon Echo Silver device so that I can just tell O'Dessa what I want the car to do?
:D

As a side note, my 2.0 turbo rocks on acceleration.>:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe Ford Energis and Hyrids have Alexa integration.

If it is cold out just turn the A/C button off and change the temperature to what you want. If it blows too hard use the fan button.
Great suggestion. I'm kinda curious about a few things on the climate control section as you can see....since the climate is changing.
I discovered the Hurricane switch as being the max defrost button. To get it out of hurricane mode I have to then push the fan decrease button a few times.
That would have been better served by a knob that most cars (like my 2010 and 2003 Escapes) used to have....instead of two - / + buttons separated by a few inches and the Climate control display screen.

Why, does it not display which vents are operating with the auto climate system turned on? It'd be nice to know what's going on with that.
Also, since we have the cold weather pkg. and the windshield wiper park heater, why does my switch that controls that only say that it's for the rear window grid?
So, when you switch the heated rear window on, the heated exterior mirrors will also automatically turn on and the wiper heater as well. which automatically turns on when you hit Max. Defrost.
But then what about the PTC?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with all those gadgets in those newer cars, it may be a downside for older people. I personally don't use most of the gadgets anyway, but not that I particularly find them annoying, same goes for my buddy, but for example his father really hate this stuff in newer cars. He drove like 30 years or more on old school cars.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well, this 62 year old automation engineer (mainly software) loves tech and these cars nail it pretty much for me. I didn't get the 301A because there's not enough there for me for the money -- I can park myself, lol. Also skipped adaptive cruise.

But the many Sync 3 features and the Android Auto are awesome. I work as a contract engineer and I do lots of driving (put 60K on my Focus in less than three years) so the comfort and features on my new Escape will be very nice to have with as many hours as I spend in the cockpit.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I believe Ford Energis and Hyrids have Alexa integration.

If it is cold out just turn the A/C button off and change the temperature to what you want. If it blows too hard use the fan button.
Great suggestion. I'm kinda curious about a few things on the climate control section as you can see....since the climate is changing.
I discovered the Hurricane switch as being the max defrost button. To get it out of hurricane mode I have to then push the fan decrease button a few times.
That would have been better served by a knob that most cars (like my 2010 and 2003 Escapes) used to have....instead of two - / + buttons separated by a few inches and the Climate control display screen.

Why, does it not display which vents are operating with the auto climate system turned on? It'd be nice to know what's going on with that.
Also, since we have the cold weather pkg. and the windshield wiper park heater, why does my switch that controls that only say that it's for the rear window grid?
So, when you switch the heated rear window on, the heated exterior mirrors will also automatically turn on and the wiper heater as well. which automatically turns on when you hit Max. Defrost.
But then what about the PTC?
To come out of max defrost, push the Auto button. That will return you to your previous settings. If you adjust the fan speed in this mode the temp will stay at HI.

I've personally never been in a car that had a separate side mirror heater button or even a side mirror icon on the rear defrost switch.

The PTC heater only works if the exterior temp is low enough and the engine coolant temp is below a certain range as well. Don't have to think about that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To come out of max defrost, push the Auto button. That will return you to your previous settings. If you adjust the fan speed in this mode the temp will stay at HI.

I've personally never been in a car that had a separate side mirror heater button or even a side mirror icon on the rear defrost switch.

The PTC heater only works if the exterior temp is low enough and the engine coolant temp is below a certain range as well. Don't have to think about that.
Thank you for your suggestions. I do appreciate all of these features folks. It's just daunting to try to figure them out and the manual should be more easily followed. Some things simply aren't in it that should be. This reminds me of a loaner that my wife got that was a loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee. She accidentally got the tranny into 2nd gear in a manual shift mode and the manuel is only on the electronic screen...which she didn't have a clue how to operate.....while driving the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions. I do appreciate all of these features folks. It's just daunting to try to figure them out and the manual should be more easily followed. Some things simply aren't in it that should be. This reminds me of a loaner that my wife got that was a loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee. She accidentally got the tranny into 2nd gear in a manual shift mode and the manuel is only on the electronic screen...which she didn't have a clue how to operate.....while driving the vehicle.
Your wife sounds like mine, lol. Well, look at it this way: it's a voyage of discovery. I feel pretty comfortable with the main vehicle features so far, but there's always some nuance to learn and if you keep the car long enough, you'll certainly be an expert. Some of the folks on this board have been living with these cars for years now and that's a nice resource to have access to.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your wife sounds like mine, lol. Well, look at it this way: it's a voyage of discovery. I feel pretty comfortable with the main vehicle features so far, but there's always some nuance to learn and if you keep the car long enough, you'll certainly be an expert. Some of the folks on this board have been living with these cars for years now and that's a nice resource to have access to.
That is a very good reason to be here. My 2017 is actually our fifth Escape and we've enjoyed all of them so far. My first vehicle was probably a Flexible Flyer.....So, I like them fast and sporty and this 'scape sure has that going for it :) Ya all know that some of my comments on this are actually kinda tongue-in-cheek. 0:)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
That is a very good reason to be here. My 2017 is actually our fifth Escape and we've enjoyed all of them so far. My first vehicle was probably a Flexible Flyer.....So, I like them fast and sporty and this 'scape sure has that going for it :) Ya all know that some of my comments on this are actually kinda tongue-in-cheek. 0:)
We're right behind you. My new one makes our fourth one: 2001, 2010 (both gone now) and the current 2016 and 2017.

Actually, peasant driver that I am, I actually DO consider my 2.0 Escape "fast and sporty", lol. At least compared to what I've typically driven: trucks; minivans; two different Focus's or Foci maybe (2nd and 3rd gen); and an assortment of cheap and cheerful junk over the years, lol. I was 40 before I actually bought my first new car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, maybe I'm getting lod and slow but any car that has laid 10 ft of rubber in my driveway (recently seal coated with sand mix.) by accident is kinda sporty to me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mrs' B'S 1.5L just made the trip down to OBX. 31.1MPG average on 656 mile trip withe two people, 2 dogs and beach luggage. with the average highway speeds of 70-80mph I-95 S and Va. 64 E. ...I cleaned the clocks before leaving.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, on Sunday I towed the boat. It basically maxed out on the two capacity of the Escape 2.0 and the engine did real well. I did put 91 octane in the tank and the car drives with even greater pickup than the 87 regular.
One review comment that I have is that the radio and the climate gauges could have been better placed for this traditional driver. I prefer the radio down below and I keep reaching for the volume knob where the driver's heat control knob is located. Yes, I know that the volume buttons are on the steering wheel and I use them too. I do like the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Gas mileage is typically averaging above 30 outside the city for both cars.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2nd oil change for both cars.
The 1.5L has the 13mm oil pan bolt and the 2.0L uses a 15mm.
Another difference is that the resetting of the Oil-life reminder is different.
With the 1.5L you insert the key, go to the run position without starting the engine and hold down the brake and gas pedals ...for a fairly long time.
With the 2.0L you can find the reset setting in the engine computer (Left spoke controls on steering wheel)
The 910S filters are the same for both engines but the oil specs and amounts ... 5W-20 for the 1.5L and 5W-30 for the 2.0L

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, for reference and review. I find the "engine stop " for the most part unnecessary but it's not really annoying most of the time.
When it does get annoying is when it stops for a short time and then re-starts. Like, when the light changes just after you stop or when you have to inch up at a longer light.
The engine oil reminder event series on the dash (The display and a chime.) also activates whenever the engine turns on....including the events described above.....every time.

I still think that the radio and climate controls are engineered badly....but I'm sure that this is my problem and I will get used to it by the time I sell these cars.

In my area of the country, there are many of these Escapes probably because of price and quality. yesterday someone parked next to me with an identical color and style.
This happens to me every Monday as well....Same charcoal magnetic in the parking lot at work. hehe.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Also, for reference and review. I find the "engine stop " for the most part unnecessary but it's not really annoying most of the time.
When it does get annoying is when it stops for a short time and then re-starts. Like, when the light changes just after you stop or when you have to inch up at a longer light.
The engine oil reminder event series on the dash (The display and a chime.) also activates whenever the engine turns on....including the events described above.....every time.

I still think that the radio and climate controls are engineered badly....but I'm sure that this is my problem and I will get used to it by the time I sell these cars.

In my area of the country, there are many of these Escapes probably because of price and quality. yesterday someone parked next to me with an identical color and style.
This happens to me every Monday as well....Same charcoal magnetic in the parking lot at work. hehe.
i find the best way to mentally prepare for the start/stop, is to pretend you have a manual transmission. i wouldn't burn up my clutch moving up a single car length. so if start/stop is engaged, i wouldn't inch up a car length either. Also if you know the line of traffic is going to "compact" a bit, and inch up, maybe hold back, roll in a little slower, to give them time to settle in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello from another NEO member. Only time start and stop bothers me, is on those hot humid days when the AC is running, then you pull up to a light and the engine turns off, and the air starts to get warm. I have to let off the brake a scoche to let the engine start back up to get that cool air blowing again, other than that, it does not phase me, and a lot of the time I forget all about it.

Hope you are still enjoying your scapes, the wife and I are still enjoying ours.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts