2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,926 Posts
In theory you "should" be able to do it since the 2.3 is a slightly bored out 2.0L EB.
The things I can think off of the top of my head are changes to the PCM, possible different locations for things on the wiring harness, the tranny oil cooler location, intercooler routing and possibly the oil filter/block adapter.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is an interesting question. What year ESCAPE are you thinking of modifying?

The 2.3L has an increased stroke over the 2.0L, bore the same.
I was thinking of getting a 17 or newer. since the 2.3 is used in the mkc it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Having 300 + hp in an escape would be a kick in the pants

· Registered
91 Posts
I was thinking of getting a 17 or newer. since the 2.3 is used in the mkc it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Having 300 + hp in an escape would be a kick in the pants.
You have no interest in a MKC 2.3L (2015-2017) (2nd GEN ENGINE) as it is already wired?

Is this going to be a HP or daily driver? FWD or AWD? Engine take-out from another vehicle or a fresh?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have no interest in a MKC 2.3L (2015-2017) (2nd GEN ENGINE) as it is already wired?

Is this going to be a HP or daily driver? FWD or AWD? Engine take-out from another vehicle or a fresh?
I don't the looks of outside of the mkc. I would think a majority of the wiring would be the same as the engine block is basically the same. It would 4wd. and just to make an escape into something like a focus rs, but in suv form

· Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,964 Posts
I'm guessing, but you may be able to strip the MKC 2.3l EcoBoost down and bolt on all the 2.0l Escape intake, sensors etc so you don't have to change any looms and then get a custom tune done on your current Escape PCM. You may lose some power- if say the intake or something else is revised for the 2.3l- but it could be the easiest path. A custom tune for high octane fuel should get more power than the stock MKC too.

· Registered
91 Posts
I would think a majority of the wiring would be the same as the engine block is basically the same.
No, the actual harness (ESCAPE MKC) may be the same or similar but the PCM would be much different. And depending on your residence state, it would have to pass an emissions test.

The MKC 2.3L is also a PREMIUM FUEL ENGINE. So the ENGINE CALIBRATION would be much different. The throttle body is larger and I would think the intake would be different to fit it.

If you are dead set on the larger engine, it would be easier (IMO) to find a MKC 2.3L takeout and use the 2.0L sensors and such to get it to run and then bolt on the 2.3L goodies and see what the 2.0L PCM will take. You might have to have the 2.0L PCM reburned or you could run a tune on the 2.0L PCM to get there.

Keep the board posted as what you decide to do.

· Registered
91 Posts
I'm guessing, but you may be able to strip the MKC 2.3l EcoBoost down and bolt on all the 2.0l Escape intake, sensors etc so you don't have to change any looms and then get a custom tune done on your current Escape PCM. You may lose some power- if say the intake or something else is revised for the 2.3l- but it could be the easiest path. A custom tune for high octane fuel should get more power than the stock MKC too.
Pretty good guess ... (y)

· Registered
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0 FWD
7 Posts
I have zero personal experience but, assuming he swap is successful, from the reports I have read, you might be taxing the transmission beyond its limits. You would certainly need better motor mounts. My 17 2.0 turbo has brutal torque steer if you catch a healthy downshift after the turbo is spooled up !!

· Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,964 Posts
I have zero personal experience but, assuming he swap is successful, from the reports I have read, you might be taxing the transmission beyond its limits. You would certainly need better motor mounts. My 17 2.0 turbo has brutal torque steer if you catch a healthy downshift after the turbo is spooled up !!
The same transmission is used in the 2.3l MKC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts