2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my research, this is our 4th Escape, not one bit of trouble out of the first 3. Bought a 2017 2.5L Escape S 1/6/2021 with 36,069 miles on it. We drove 2 hours to pick up the car, my husband failed to check under the hood before we headed home. Today, 1/9 he lifted the hood and the coolant reservoir was dry except for about an inch of coolant in the tube. I called the dealership and the salesman I spoke with told me that his father has a 2018 Escape that was having the engine replaced today, because the coolant leaks into the cylinders.
My husband put coolant in the car and I am calling a closer dealership on Monday to make an appointment for a compression check to see if we have a coolant leak. This sucks. If Ford knows about this issue they need to do a recall. From everything I've read the engines affected are 1.5 and 1.6 with turbo. Mine does not have turbo because my research showed the turbo would overheat. I like the bigger engine, every other Escape we've had has been a 2.5L. This is the first used Escape we've bought, now I have buyers remorse.
Has anyone had issues with their 2.5L? I haven't seen any on this forum. I'm hoping it's a fluke. At least we're still under warranty.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think you'll be fine...the 2.5l has been a rock solid design for a long time....it originally was a joint project between Ford and Mazda....its block and cooling system is completely different than the troublesome turbo engines. I had the same model, wish we still had it. We wanted AWD and for that the turbos were the only option. We went thru 2 of them...both had the coolant issue...

Reactions: Soccerguy48025

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium FWD 1.5L Ecoboost
7 Posts
I am surprised by this, the 2.5L is a good engine, perhaps this is a fluke. The widespread coolant seepage problem is on the smaller yet more modern Ecoboost engines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you'll be fine...the 2.5l has been a rock solid design for a long time....it originally was a joint project between Ford and Mazda....its block and cooling system is completely different than the troublesome turbo engines. I had the same model, wish we still had it. We wanted AWD and for that the turbos were the only option. We went thru 2 of them...both had the coolant issue...
that eases my mind some, but I'm still going to have it checked. That's why we went for the 2.5L. Wish me luck.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,874 Posts
A side note- please keep discussion in this thread purely to the 2.5l engine. There are other threads for the 1.6l, 1.5l and 2.0l EcoBoosts.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
There are no known issues with burning coolant on your 2.5 liter engine. I've had two Escapes with the 2.5 liter engine with zero engine issues and they really are quite rare. This is a very reliable engine.

That being said, any engine can experience it. Your shop will need to perform a few basic tests to try to isolate it. Those would be to put it on the rack and perform a comprehensive visual inspection to see if there is any signs of coolant leakage (new to you vehicle so you may not know), a cooling system pressure test and a cylinder compression test, those are the ones that come to mind.....there may be others.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
554 Posts
This is a case of the tech needing to pull the under body shield and put pressure on the system for a few hours.
Personal bet is that you got a cracked hose or a sensor that's leaking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tomorrow we will putting a few miles on the car and will see if the coolant in the reservoir goes down. The dealership we bought it from is 2 hours away, they said to take it to a local Ford Dealer and have them run a compression test on it. I'll feel more at ease once I find out what the issue is, cracked hose, sensor, or worse. I'm making an appointment ASAP.
The salesman I talked to said his father's 2018 had to have the engine replaced, but didn't say what model or size engine it had.
The only problems our other Escapes gave us was the 2003 developed a fatal oil leak after a 3 day round trip from TN to New Jersey. The second one was great, never an issue other than regular maintenance. The 3rd one was taken out by a pillbilly who was asleep at the wheel and didn't see my husband coming toward her in a red car, and didn't know he was there until she hit him as close to head-on as she could. He couldn't take the ditch, and couldn't get into another lane and is lucky to Escape (pun intended) with his life. We are hoping this is just a glitch that nobody noticed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe your Escape has a 2.0 liter engine with a turbo, OPs is 2.5 liter naturally aspirated (no turbo). I am not aware of any factory built Escape that has a turbocharged 2.5 liter engine, so if that is what you have, it must have been a pretty cool mod! 🐹
Our Escape is a 2.5L without ecoboost. We made sure to steer away from the ecoboost. We put some miles on the car yesterday and the day before, and didn't lose any coolant so hopefully someone drained and forgot to fill the reservoir.
We are now perplexed about our 2016 Focus SE, the VIN says it's a 1.0L, 3cylinder engine, but it said when we bought it it was a 2.0L, 4 cylinder. It has 4 spark plugs so who knows? Never had any trouble out of it except the transmission and it was replaced by warranty. Ford needs to get it together, never doubted them until now. My first car in 1976 was a 67 Mustang.

·
Super Moderator
2,874 Posts
I've deleted the posts referring to another 2.5l coolant issue as the other user's posts revealed they in fact own a 2.0l EcoBoost. Sorry to the other posters caught up in the cleanup.

This thread is strictly for 2.5l engine only!

·
Super Moderator
2,874 Posts
We put some miles on the car yesterday and the day before, and didn't lose any coolant so hopefully someone drained and forgot to fill the reservoir.
Sounds good. Just be sure to check it when the engine is stone cold eg. first thing in the morning after driving the day before.

Reactions: feel taken
1 - 11 of 11 Posts