2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Escape S 2.5L named Route :)
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellooo!

I got a 2019 Escape with the 2.5L engine. I am not familiar with that particular engine and curious to hear if any of you have it, what you like and dislike about it, the easiness to work on it when necessary and also if you have encountered any issues?

Love my 5.0 and I have my own opinion/experience on the 2.0 Ecoboost and the 1.6L Turbo I had in my little Fiesta ST.. But this 2.5L.. so new for me!

Anyone?! :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
There may have been some changes, but the 2.5 was in the 2nd Gen ('08-'12). My mom has one in hers, and I've taken it on a few trips when I visit her and she prefers we take it. In my experience, it's not a bad engine. You'll notice downshifts if you encounter slight grades at high enough highway speeds, say 75mph+, and it's not quite as zippy as the 2.0 turbo. But it's been reliable for her for 4+ years, with no issues.

It's a naturally aspirated engine, meaning no turbo, so you can burn 87 without worrying of a decline in power or any change in how it runs. In fact, stick to 87, as there isn't a point in spending money when there isn't a reason. It's a smooth, somewhat quiet engine. Many people overlook it in the 3rd Gen models, but it's perfectly fine, even if it's not the fastest. And while I've had no problems with my ecoboost, the lack of a turbo means one less thing that can go wrong.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all the info! Every little bits counts :)

I was aware of the non turbo and fuel grade. You have made a very good point in saying that there is no point going any higher than the 87. You run the 91 or 93 in your ecoboost? Wondering what they are set up up from factory..

So far I have indeed found it very quiet! Its got some go (Again, being a 5.0 person, it's hard comparing anything littler.. LOL). I didnt buy it with speed/power in mind and so far from what ive experience, Im happy with the guts it has :) I am a little over protective so I kind of drive it like my Gramma drives LOL ( PS.. She's definitely not a race car driver hahah ) Reliability was for sure what I was going for. Glad to hear your mama's has done her well :)

I could not agree more either with your statement "the lack of a turbo means one less thing that can go wrong". Again! What a good point! I am like that with electronic as well. SO needless to say, I even tried to get out of the back up camera and I couldnt! Ive only got the small center console screen and I couldnt be happier with my lack of electronics! Less to fail down the road!

Very interesting about the downshift! Sadly, Im in Alberta and there's no hills to be found anywhere... Lol. I would be curious to test that out! Im wondering too if with the new gen transmission, if this was a true point/issue, if that didnt get resolved with their update? Hmmm..

·
Registered
180 Posts
With my 2.0, 93 is "suggested". I do burn it. I can use lower grades, but hey, gas isn't all that expensive where I am, usually. The 2nd Gen has a 6 speed in later years, so unless they made changes to gearing or other things, you may experience the downshift. It's not bothersome, but it is notable. I still find it to be just fine on the highway.

What matters most is that you're happy with it! I only got the 2.0 ecoboost for it's towing capacity and the performance is just a very nice perk.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting! Yes you guys are really lucky down there when it comes down to fuel! That alone is a heck on a convo on its own! Lol Lucky you :) I like the extra octane in my 5.0 and its a gas guzzler... Basically goes from one station to another for way too much money! Ah! Lol

I could be totally wrong as I honestly didn't study the transmission on my escape but i thought they were now CVT 8 speed?? Im gonna have to look into it now.. Kinda feel silly not knowing and it's my own vehicle lol

And yes, thanks! Im super happy with! And im glad you hre happy with yours as well! Nothing like buying something for a specific reason and ending up with awesome perks! Id call that the magical Escape story! Lol

·
Registered
180 Posts
Your 2019 is a 6 speed. The 2020's have an 8 speed. Not CVT (yet). Which is fine by me! CVT's aren't my preference. :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont disagree with you there either, on the CVT thing. Lol Had it in my Toyota and I did not like at all. Lol

Good to know! :)

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I'm on my 2nd Escape, both with the 2.5 liter engine. My first was a 2014 base "S", now I own a 2018 "S" model. I prefer the 2.5 liter engine because of the tried and true reliability of this engine through the years. Arguably, the 2.5 is the most reliable engine in the Escape fleet. I have had no issues with either of my 2.5 liter engines except for a flaky ground problem that created a "no crank" condition in my 2014, resolved with only cleaning of that ground point.

Are the turbo engines snappier? Sure they are. Are the turbo equipped Escapes more fun to drive? Yup, they are. But for me, my Escape is a "point a to point b" vehicle and I have only wanted or needed more power maybe twice and that was for a passing situation that I really didn't have to take advantage of.

And yes, there are no worries about having turbo issues with the 2.5 as it is naturally aspirated.

I couldn't be happier with the two Escape 2.5 liter engines I have owned. For gas mileage on both of them, I get 25 mpg in the city, 31 mpg on the highway, 28 mpg mixed city/highway. And to boot, I bought both of these Escapes brand new out the door for under $20k plus tax and license so I believe that the base "S" model is a very good value proposition. I was sad to see the 2.5 liter engine not being offered with the 2020 Escape fleet as not everybody wants or needs a turbo.

Enjoy your Escape!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed, Agreed and Agreed!

Love to hear that it is potentially the most reliable one of them all ;) I say potentially as everything is kind of a matter of opinion and mine hasnt truly even formed yet. Lol

Also happy to hear you had no real issues and that you still love yours!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Funny bit of trivia only car nuts would be interested in! I got to thinking how these little 4 pots compared to the V8's of the past. Specifically, to the Cadillac I once had. It was a 1990 Sedan DeVille, had a 4.5 V8 linked to a 4 speed auto.

Here are the specs for output:

And for the 2013-2019 Escapes with the 2.5:

TWELVE horses difference between the 4.5 V8 and the 2.5 I4. That's two liters less displacement and half the cylinders producing a hair over 10 fewer horses. It's insane how far we've come! The big difference is torque. From experience, that V8 had plenty, and it was all way low on the power band. Taking off from a green light took technique, lest you chirp the tires next to a cop when you had absolutely no desire or intention to (at that moment). The 2.5 has less torque, but what it does have feels more evenly distributed through the power band. To me, while not as fun as chirping the tires just tapping the gas, it's more desirable for most driving situations. Especially if you aren't into that, lack experience, or are driving in bad conditions where predictable throttle response can be the difference from sliding wildly or taking off in a controlled manner if you aren't used to "ALL THE TORQUE! RIGHT NOW!".

The first snow of the year each year I had that car was like getting your land legs back for the first couple miles, then it was better. :p

Reactions: ralph7up

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha!

Now thats cool info!! As i was scrilolling down i had to re read the two pictures.. i was like did i see this right? Then i followed with your comment and ya!! I saw that right! Holy crap have we ever!!

Ya no doubt on the throttle response. Which like you said, being a daily driver and in completwly different driving condition, this is much better!

Thanks for sharing!!! I knew my little man was worth Cadillac title! Haha ❤

Reactions: Wolfie_85
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.