2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

461 - 480 of 503 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
I couldn't afford a new car anymore. I got a 2008 525i that doesn't consume coolant neither stumbles when starting (as Escape was) to have as a backup when the Escape did its long visits to dealer for repairs. Then sold the Escape and got a 2011 X5 Xdrive 35i very low milage. Neither of the two models are known for high reliability non the less both are older than our Escape and are holding far solid than the Escape did... So time will tell.
What did you end up getting?
Enviado desde mi Pixel XL mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quick update after picking up my 2014 Escape 1.6 about two weeks ago with the new engine. Coolant was below the MIN line again and we've put less then 300 miles on it. I reached out to the dealership and they told me to keep an eye on it. Could be because it's a new engine working all the fluids through. I topped it off and will check it again in about a week or two to see where it sits.

More and more I want to get rid of this thing and get something with a different engine. I'll post back after a couple weeks with an update. Car feels awesome with a new engine though.
Here's a quick update. I picked up my Escape on August 10th from the dealership and since then we have driven the car pretty hard putting over 1300 miles on it and the coolant level has stayed steady (went on a road trip). I've been video documenting the reservoir level since pick up and it dropped only a little bit from MAX line to just below the MAX line. I will continue to document this and post updates if we see drops or if it holds out. The dealership ran multiple pressure/leak tests and found nothing, case with Ford is still open until further notice.

I really hope this last visit will be the last with regards to this problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We went though this same thing on our 2013 1.6 SE. The dealer did all kinds of test, pressure test and leak downs, and the system was holding pressure, but about 1 day after getting it back each time (it was in 3 times) the coolant level would drop about 2 to 3 inches from where the dealer had just filled it up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another quick update, coolant level is still holding out normal since the engine replacement. We haven't been driving it too hard lately but it still gets used daily. I think we may have a winner here. I'm still video documented the level if it changes at all.

Tina, the only advise I can give is if your vehicle is still under warranty get it checked out at a dealership immediately. Ford replaced my engine and immediately after picking it up the coolant dropped, so we returned it to the dealership (a second time) and they ran leak/pressure tests and found nothing. The census was that since it was a new engine all the coolant was settling in the components/piping. I don't know how true that is but the coolant level has been normal since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2014 Ford Escape SE 1.6 AWD

I have a coolant leak on my 2014 Ford Escape Se 1.6 AWD it seems as if it is leaking somewhere around the middle belt pully. Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this?

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I have a coolant leak on my 2014 Ford Escape Se 1.6 AWD it seems as if it is leaking somewhere around the middle belt pully. Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this?
You may well be describing the water pump drive pulley, behind which is the water pump and it's shaft seal, a possible point of coolant leakage. Water pump seal failure isn't reported here as a common issue but it can and does happen.

Note that if in the USA your 2014 water pump is covered under the 5-year / 60,000 mile Drivetrain Warranty; if within that coverage still a prompt trip to the dealer is IMHO your best next step. If not in the USA you'll need to check your applicable warranty guide / call a dealer.

If not in warranty then the dealer or a competent independent repair facility familiar with this engine is in order unless you (IMHO) have above-average tools and DIY auto repair skills (and your question indicates that's not the case).

R&R of the Escape 1.6 water pump is not a particularly simple procedure (nor is it likely to be particularly inexpensive due to the extensive component removal/replacement labor required to access the fairly inexpensive pump itself). I strongly advise that you study the procedure in a good Workshop Manual before proceeding with DIY repair (Workshop / Service Manual Sources).

Personally, if I see coolant leaking from my system I would not delay getting competent inspection and repair.

Whatever you do, do not add any sort of 'miracle in a bottle' coolant-stop-leak product to your Escape's cooling system. At best (if you are very lucky) that will only briefly delay the need for the inevitable proper repair, at worst (more likely) it will cause a number of other problems and increased repair costs.

Sorry to hear of your problem, hope that helps, good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks! It’s still under the Powertrain Warranty it has 56k miles on it. I am going to make a appointment with the dealership hopefully they will cover it under the warranty. And I agree I wouldn’t attempt to fix it myself I can tell my looking at it that it needs to be done by a dealership.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Thanks! It’s still under the Powertrain Warranty it has 56k miles on it. .....
Hopefully the original in-service date was less than 5 years ago (2014 model-year delivery began well before September 2013), the dealer will verify that by lookup of your VIN, and you got lucky under your warranty.

Please let us know the outcome, follow-up is always appreciated. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
The inservice date goes out September 23 2019! Thanks for the help I’ll post back as soon as I find something out, I’m sure they will have to keep it a couple days to fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update. Took my 2014 Ford Escape 1.6 AWD with 55510 miles to the dealership on 9/27/2018 got the vehicle back today 10/04/2018 The vehicle was leaking coolant from the middle belt pully area, the dealership diagnose it with a bad water pump and replaced it, it was covered under the Powertrain Warranty I didn’t have to pay anything. Now to ride it and make sure everything operates as it should. But so far everything is good.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The consensus on this thread is that a presssure test does *not* detect the leak in question because it is a small/slow leak, probably involving micro-cracks in the engine. Assuming micro-cracks are the culprit, the leakage probably can’t even be replicated at room temperature; the engine needs to be at operating temperature for the leakage to occur and the leakage rate is slow enough to require a long hold-time to be noticeable during a test.

Despite being a hard leak to detect in a shop, it is an obvious leak to detect after 10-20 hours of driving.

The remedy of pressure testing and replacing parts would only correct a properly designed/built engine with typical garden variety leaks in ancillary equipment. The issue appears to reside in the engine itself, and Ford has yet to admit this, because replacing an engine is expensive.
So what is the correct name of the test required to find this leak? My car eats 2oz of coolant every 1500 miles. ZERO leaks outside the engine. Dealer did the quick pressure test(10 minutes) and of course said it was fine.

·
Registered
875 Posts
They need to perform a long leak test. At least 12 hours. It can be nothing serious, or ot can go all the way to head replacement.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Coolant leak, P0234, Turbo?

I have a significant coolant leak in my 2013 1.6 as well.

I've got the turbo overboost condition (P0234) intermittently. I haven't noticed a clear pattern with when the CEL goes out, but it's usually a few days at a time.

Coolant is visibly dripping, leaving a shiny puddle after I leave a parking spot. A few months ago I took it to a mechanic who pressure tested the reservoir, said it was cracked, and replaced it. But it's started happening again in the last two weeks. I can sometimes here a bubbling noise as if coolant is boiling its way out again.

I took it to a Ford dealership and they quoted me some $2100 to replace the turbo.

It was manufactured within some recalls, notably 12V431000 (which mentions significant coolant loss), but both NHTSA's and Ford's websites say my vehicle doesn't need any related recall services.

I hate owning this car. As much as I like the car itself, it's a god **** nightmare dealing with this incessant issue. Issues seem to affect the whole gamut of 2013 1.6s. I wish Ford would do a lifetime warranty or just buy it back. Hell, I'd give them a discount.

·
Registered
7 Posts
EDIT: since my thread was merged into this one, the fact that I have a 2014 and not a 2013 was lost.

Second owner, bought it at 60k miles. It has almost 90k miles and with the exception of the evaporator issue, it's been pretty solid. I get the oil changed every 10k miles or so and I trust my mechanic to eyeball everything and let me know if something looks wrong, so I'm assuming this has developed in the past 9k miles.

Wife calls me from work, says the car gave her a engine temp warning (or something similar). I drive out there with some coolant* and sure enough, it's not even showing in the reservoir. I added about half a gallon to get it between MIN and MAX, then drove it about 20 miles, parked it for a couple of hours, and drove it another 8 miles. No puddles yesterday or this morning, but coolant was showing a good half inch below the MIN mark. Topped it off with another pint or so and we'll see what it looks like this afternoon.

So no obvious leaks. No smell of coolant in the car, nor any white exhaust. I was planning on having the oil changed in 1k miles, but figured I'll have that done ASAP to see if it's milky. I'm posting because while there are a number of threads like this, they seem to center around the 2013 model year, and even other threads seem to be several years old. I was hoping a newer thread might yield information more quickly about possible causes so I can mention these to my mechanic (who should know already, of course, but still) when I drop it off in a day or two. Also, is there anything I can easily check to eliminate - or verify - potential causes?

*I have an asterisk because I have a related side question: what coolant does the 1.6 take? I had some yellow (or neon greenish-yellow) Prestone that I used to top it off (not being able to see the coolant the first time) and then this morning I noticed it was orange-ish...which I thought would not be good, as you're not supposed to mix that with yellow-green (even if it says safe for all years and makes), right?

·
Super Moderator
5,513 Posts
Second owner, bought it at 60k miles. It has almost 90k miles and with the exception of the evaporator issue, it's been pretty solid. I get the oil changed every 10k miles or so and I trust my mechanic to eyeball everything and let me know if something looks wrong, so I'm assuming this has developed in the past 9k miles.

Wife calls me from work, says the car gave her a engine temp warning (or something similar). I drive out there with some coolant* and sure enough, it's not even showing in the reservoir. I added about half a gallon to get it between MIN and MAX, then drove it about 20 miles, parked it for a couple of hours, and drove it another 8 miles. No puddles yesterday or this morning, but coolant was showing a good half inch below the MIN mark. Topped it off with another pint or so and we'll see what it looks like this afternoon.

So no obvious leaks. No smell of coolant in the car, nor any white exhaust. I was planning on having the oil changed in 1k miles, but figured I'll have that done ASAP to see if it's milky. I'm posting because while there are a number of threads like this, they seem to center around the 2013 model year, and even other threads seem to be several years old. I was hoping a newer thread might yield information more quickly about possible causes so I can mention these to my mechanic (who should know already, of course, but still) when I drop it off in a day or two. Also, is there anything I can easily check to eliminate - or verify - potential causes?

*I have an asterisk because I have a related side question: what coolant does the 1.6 take? I had some yellow (or neon greenish-yellow) Prestone that I used to top it off (not being able to see the coolant the first time) and then this morning I noticed it was orange-ish...which I thought would not be good, as you're not supposed to mix that with yellow-green (even if it says safe for all years and makes), right?
I merged your thread with one of the many threads on coolant leaks. Have a look through some of the other posts in this thread for some help. You can also search the forum for the other coolant threads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I merged your thread with one of the many threads on coolant leaks. Have a look through some of the other posts in this thread for some help. You can also search the forum for the other coolant threads.
Understood. I posted a new thread because the overwhelming majority of coolant leak threads are about 2013 Escapes, and mine is a 2014 (my understanding was that whatever issue it was in the 2013s was fixed by 2014). Because of this and because I did not see a relevant non-2013 thread, I thought a new one was appropriate. My apologies.

461 - 480 of 503 Posts