2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

541 - 560 of 564 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 ford escape. I have had it to the garage multiple times. They cannot figure out where the antifreeze is leaking. The diagnostic said it was a coil i already replaced. The antifreeze is not leaking into the oil or outside. The coils keep misfiring, and we keep replacing them, and then within in a day we are right back to where we were and the engine light stays on. The car idles rough when we first start it and then it seems to be okay. I am getting annoyed with fixing it and the garage not knowing what is wrong still.

·
Registered
2020 Escape
188 Posts
Sounds like with the coolant level going down and the misfire you have a coolant leak into a cylinder. Perhaps you need to have a dealer diagnose the issue if you are using an independent mechanic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 ford escape. I have had it to the garage multiple times. They cannot figure out where the antifreeze is leaking. The diagnostic said it was a coil i already replaced. The antifreeze is not leaking into the oil or outside. The coils keep misfiring, and we keep replacing them, and then within in a day we are right back to where we were and the engine light stays on. The car idles rough when we first start it and then it seems to be okay. I am getting annoyed with fixing it and the garage not knowing what is wrong still.
took 3 times with mine.
Mine leaking in 2 spots. The banjo fitting coming out of the turbo is made of dissimilar metals and comes loose. That fitting will take a bunch of tightening.

the second is a coolant hose in the very back center of the engine. The hose was leaking badly at the top where it connects to the coolant manifold. THAT was the big leak and the “leaks when it gets cold” leak that’s impossible to find.

best wishes!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Finally found my leak that has plagued me for months. Leaks during cool down but not when pressure tested.
It appears to resemble a bleed off type of circuit between the heater valve, heater core and engine. It connects the heater valve and heater core to the engine.

I have not found the exact one on any on line parts diagram. The leaking connection is directly above and to the left of the transmission cooler. I may have to resort to seeing the dealer to find the exact one.

Tasca Parts shows this as my replacement according to my VIN but it looks different. Very hard to reach the back of the motor to see where the added Tee connects to. I suppose that is why they used these "EZ connections" that leak.

Anyone else know about this replacement?

Is there an air bleed procedure after refilling coolant?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Reactions: moorecd3 and murcod

·
Registered
34 Posts

I don't know anything about the replacement, so I can't help you there.

I do know when we had a recall done on our escape, a coolant level sensor was added I believe, they had to drain the coolant. I was talking to the tech who did the work when I picked it up. He said to watch for a coolant drop over the next few days just in case there were any stuck air bubbles. He did say he used a vacuum device, I think he said it went on the plastic tank in place of the cap, and it should have pulled all the air out of it. It must have done a pretty good job, the level only dropped maybe have a centimeter afterward, if that much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know anything about the replacement, so I can't help you there.

I do know when we had a recall done on our escape, a coolant level sensor was added I believe, they had to drain the coolant. I was talking to the tech who did the work when I picked it up. He said to watch for a coolant drop over the next few days just in case there were any stuck air bubbles. He did say he used a vacuum device, I think he said it went on the plastic tank in place of the cap, and it should have pulled all the air out of it. It must have done a pretty good job, the level only dropped maybe have a centimeter afterward, if that much.

OK, thanks for this, I see there are reasonably priced vacuum tools available on Amazon so will probably try this one:

Good to know because large trapped air bubbles can lead to head warping or gasket failure.

Thanks,

BobM

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I posted earlier here today when our 13 escape popped up a low coolant,engine light. Immediately looked at temp gauge and it was between cold and Hot, started to pull over and car went into safe stop. Checked coolant, level was acceptable but on minimum. Topped off and all good except engine light. Drove straight to dealership.
Guess what engine shot, $6500 estimate. Engine goes bad with everything fine one minute and now coolant problem vauses this issue.
Recently had this in for a different recall. Asked dealership a bout coolant issue and my 2013 didn't fall in the recall time frame. 92K miles and motor shot with absolutely no warning.
Come on Ford make these repairs for everyone.
Anyone have number contacts for Ford next level? This is ridiculous.
Was told new engine or trade in for another, righht now Ford is the last brand I would purchase at the moment.
Any assistance or advise would be appreciated.
Okay, so it sounds like we are having the exact same issue. This is what I have learned on my end - I had a Ford Dealership in Ripley, WV advise me that a recall had been falsely claimed and (NHTSA Safety Recall 13S12). I have just made that same repair that you mentioned in you 12/26/18 update - still no change.
I also have the pieces that I changed that shows that the recall had not been completed. I've reached out to the dealership and no one gives a d*** - and well Ford told me from the beginning that it wasn't their problem.
I'm hoping you have had a happy ending...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Finally found my leak that has plagued me for months. Leaks during cool down but not when pressure tested.
It appears to resemble a bleed off type of circuit between the heater valve, heater core and engine. It connects the heater valve and heater core to the engine.

I have not found the exact one on any on line parts diagram. The leaking connection is directly above and to the left of the transmission cooler. I may have to resort to seeing the dealer to find the exact one.

View attachment 77959

Tasca Parts shows this as my replacement according to my VIN but it looks different. Very hard to reach the back of the motor to see where the added Tee connects to. I suppose that is why they used these "EZ connections" that leak.

Any help is appreciated.

View attachment 77970 View attachment 77971
Thanks,

Bob

I took advantage of a 70 degree Saturday and changed this hose. It was relatively easy, only about 1 hour including fishing a socket out of the dark recess between the transmission and the motor.......getting the smallest old hose clamp off the back of the motor took the longest.

I must admit, even though the original center connection leaked profusely, no excuse for that screw up......Ford did one other thing right by using the 2 pre-staged spring clamps and the one heater core hose with the twist lock connection, they were real easy to connect.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Escape SEL 1.6l Turbo
2 Posts
what is the build date on your 1.6?

This latest round of recalls is the third related to the 2013 Escape powered by the 1.6-liter engine. Last September 7600 units were recalled due to a cup plug within the cylinder head that could become dislodged, causing coolant to leak and possibly catch on fire.

Read more: 2013 Ford Escape Recalled For Fire Risks - Motor Trend WOT

This latest round of recalls is the third related to the 2013 Escape powered by the 1.6-liter engine. Last September 7600 units were recalled due to a cup plug within the cylinder head that could become dislodged, causing coolant to leak and possibly catch on fire.

Read more: 2013 Ford Escape Recalled For Fire Risks - Motor Trend WOT
How do I go about checking to see if my Escape falls under the recalls for the coolant issues?

·
Registered
2013 Ford Escape SEL 1.6l Turbo
2 Posts

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/1311_2013_ford_escape_recalled_for_fire_risks.html#ixzz2wzeHV0LA
Ford Produces Fix in Voluntary Safety Recall of 2013 Escapes, 2013 Fusions with 1.6-liter Engines

• Ford today announced a corrective action to address potential engine overheating that could result in engine fires in 2013 Ford Escape SE and SEL models with the 1.6-liter engine and 2013 Ford Fusion SE and SEL models with the 1.6-liter engine

• Ford will make updates to the cooling system software to better manage engine temperatures during a unique overheating condition. Original cooling system design was not able to address a loss of coolant system pressure under certain operating conditions. The new software will resolve this issue

• Escapes equipped with the 2.0-liter and 2.5-liter engines are unaffected as are Fusions equipped with 2.5-liter and hybrid engines

• Ford remains absolutely committed to continuously improving and providing the highest-quality vehicles to its customers. When a potential issue is identified, Ford acts promptly on behalf of customers
How do I go about finding out about these coolant recall? As I am having this same issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2014 1.6 escape here with 102,000 miles. I have been topping off the coolant as needed as I knew about the 1.6 loosing coolant from casting issues with the head but it has recently got me thinking it has advanced into a crack.

Coolant usage has increased but not drastically, the tell tell now is a noise on cylinder #1 similar to a loose sparkplug not sealing and letting the compression get past it. I checked the plug and its tight and not leaking.

I then pulled the oil cap to check if the sound changed and was greeted with a jumping oil cap. I assume the crack is letting compression bleed into the valve cover under on the #1 cylinder causing it to become pressurized enough lift the oil cap when unthreaded but then has enough vacuum to suck it back down.

I did a quick check on the oil and it did not appear to have coolant contamination (milkshake), but the oil looked much darker than usual which I believe from the gasses and heat making it into the top end of the motor via the crack.

I need to make a trip to harbor freight and pick up a compression tester and check compression and leak down.

Looks like I may be adding a head along with the timing belt that needs to be done. Used motor might be better than doing the head...

Man, once this thing is paid off its gone. It hasnt been a bad car but I dont have the love for it. It does everything ok but nothing is outstanding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 1.6 ecoboost se I just got the car & i had it for about 2 weeks & had to put a coolant level sensor on it it had 126,500 on it when I replaced it now it has 132,000 on it should I be worried with it over the problems they’ve had also I have put coolant in it once in 10 months that I’ve owned it so far so good just looking for advice

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,354 Posts
I have a 2013 1.6 ecoboost se I just got the car & i had it for about 2 weeks & had to put a coolant level sensor on it it had 126,500 on it when I replaced it now it has 132,000 on it should I be worried with it over the problems they’ve had also I have put coolant in it once in 10 months that I’ve owned it so far so good just looking for advice
I merged your thread with one of the low coolant threads. Have a look at some of the other posts for some possible help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
duke594,

I want to take a look at your customer service case and see what's going on with your Escape. Will you please PM me your VIN or case number?

Thanks!

Ashley
I am having the same issue. But keep getting told my car wasn't part of the recall. I have been driving it for several years now refilling my coolant every week.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
I am having the same issue. But keep getting told my car wasn't part of the recall. I have been driving it for several years now refilling my coolant every week.
Have they done a pressure test? As noted in some previous posts on this board, there can be other reasons for coolant loss other than intrusion. Only way to know for sure is to scope the individual cylinders. Other indicators are engine codes and excessive white smoke out the exhaust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have they done a pressure test? As noted in some previous posts on this board, there can be other reasons for coolant loss other than intrusion. Only way to know for sure is to scope the individual cylinders. Other indicators are engine codes and excessive white smoke out the exhaust.

We have the same Issue with our 2013 1.6. its burning coolant, the pressure test came back and said so. I wish Ford Would own up to a crappy vehicle issue and fix their flawed design. It would only be the right thing to do. we are filling up our coolant every 300 miles. and diligently take care of our vehicle, there goes thousands of dollars not well spent. If all these people are having the same issues, why wont Ford just fix it?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,089 Posts
If all these people are having the same issues, why wont Ford just fix it?
Has your vehicle had all the recalls done?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, it has had all the recalls according to the dealership. its a big bummer this car. its so nice, but this coolant leak is a disaster.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Anyone who has having problems with the Ford Ecoboost engine should have a read here from our UK site. Not sure if you get the 1.5 Ecoboost in the USA but I know there were issues with the 1.6.

@murcod - Do you think it may be an idea to post this as a separate thread. Not sure if there is a campaign already going in the USA but this may help their cause if there is.

541 - 560 of 564 Posts