2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

561 - 567 of 567 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,173 Posts
Anyone who has having problems with the Ford Ecoboost engine should have a read here from our UK site. Not sure if you get the 1.5 Ecoboost in the USA but I know there were issues with the 1.6.

@murcod - Do you think it may be an idea to post this as a separate thread. Not sure if there is a campaign already going in the USA but this may help their cause if there is.
There's another thread on here regarding a current class action lawsuit that is being raised against Ford USA for EcoBoost engine failures.

The problem is "Ford", although operating as one company, seem to restrict what recalls or compensation type programs they operate to each country. The 1.6l EcoBoost fires gained momentum in South Africa (due to public outrage and a death linked to a Kuga fire) and I think they were the first country to get a recall that involved revising the cooling system and PCM software. Then there were some fires in Australia- which Ford Australia ignored for a long time (even well after the South Africa fires and recall already being issued.) It took more fires and bad publicity before they acted here. I know people in Australia were denied any help when their engines had burned or overheated. Months later they finally issued the recall here.

So the BBC article could certainly help, but the US Escape is built in a different factory and their engines (I believe) were also made in a different factory to the UK/ South African/ Australian Kuga.

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Ford Escape SE 1.6L GTDI. I have taken my car in to the dealership 3 different times for coolant loss. Ford customer service has been contacted and the dealership has tried all of the recommendations at this point. Ford is now telling me that they can see the coolant levels drop but, they can not find where it is going. Since they can't find where it is going then there isn't any issue with the car and it is "safe" to drive. The car has about 20,000 mile on it currently. I have had the vehicle in the shop for about 32 days now. This last time was 7 days in the shop with no solution. I was told that since Ford has can't find the leak there is no issue. I am wondering if anyone else is having the same issue with their Escape or am I just special. Thanks for any help.
I know you posted a few years ago But I have the same exact issue.I've been to , multiple mechanics & yet they cant find where or why Im losing coolant! One mechanic said he found it leaking at the coolant bypass hose & replaced it. It ran perfect for a week & , then it made me pull over Because it was overheating. Popped the hood the coolant level is fine BUT it's bubbling like crazy like they're air bubbles inside. So I take off the cap to let the alr . bubbles out & they finally stop & See the level was below minium. I get coolant & pour some in the reservoir & it starts just gushing out of the back side of it. take It Back to the mechanic & he sees nothing wrong. He said theres nothing else he can do. So everyday &Before I get in to drive I make sure to check my coolant...Another thing that causes it to say it's over heating & make check engine light come on is when You hit the gas too hard. I never do it intentionally. But Ive given up on trying to get it fixed & trying to figure but whats wrong with it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,173 Posts
Popped the hood the coolant level is fine BUT it's bubbling like crazy like they're air bubbles inside. So I take off the cap to let the alr . bubbles out & they finally stop & See the level was below minium.
Welcome to the forum.

It's possible the engine's head gasket has failed- particularly if there's no external coolant leak. A mechanic should be able to test that by pressurising the coolant system when the engine is not running. If the pressure drops and there are no external leaks then it's most likely going into the cylinders due to a head gasket leak or cracked head.

PS: Make sure your engine (assuming it's the 1.6l) has had all the relevant recalls done. There have been a few of them.

Reactions: Vader101

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Ford Escape SE 1.6L GTDI. I have taken my car in to the dealership 3 different times for coolant loss. Ford customer service has been contacted and the dealership has tried all of the recommendations at this point. Ford is now telling me that they can see the coolant levels drop but, they can not find where it is going. Since they can't find where it is going then there isn't any issue with the car and it is "safe" to drive. The car has about 20,000 mile on it currently. I have had the vehicle in the shop for about 32 days now. This last time was 7 days in the shop with no solution. I was told that since Ford has can't find the leak there is no issue. I am wondering if anyone else is having the same issue with their Escape or am I just special. Thanks for any help.
I know this an old post, but I was wondering if you got the coolant leak fixed? Also did you have evidence on the ground of the leak? I've been dealing with this problem for a while and the dealership did not fix the problem after 4 times bringing it back.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I know this an old post, but I was wondering if you got the coolant leak fixed? Also did you have evidence on the ground of the leak? I've been dealing with this problem for a while and the dealership did not fix the problem after 4 times bringing it back.
We have no details of your car model or year.
Do you see coolant on the ground under the car in your case?
If so it has to be a leaking hose or connection somewhere. If not I suggest you refer to post #564 here or previous posts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue of coolant link out from the reservoir tank ford escape2013 Se EcoBoost, which i think is the main issue that made the former owner sold it out @54000miles
When i experience this , i took it to my mechanic and this is how he resolved the overheating/coolants linkage.
1. Change the thermostat bcos the thermostat has stiff
2. The water passage holes was change bcos the water return hole is also blocked
3. The water passage hole under the fuel injector is wick and it links out coolant. This was replace also.
Since these was done the engine cools normal and i have not top coolant for month now.

561 - 567 of 567 Posts