2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
731K views 612 replies 155 participants last post by  mattg 
Their is a simple hydrocarbon test that any shop can do that will show a coolant leak from the combustion chamber. Its cheap and it works every time. The only thing is getting it up to operating temperature with the fill cap off. The way it works is their is a test tube that comes in a kit along with a blue chemical, you put the chemical in the tube and it then goes over the fill where it filters the fumes coming out, if the chemical turns light green or yellow their are hydrocarbons in the cooling system where their should be none. I have used this hundreds of times with great sucess. The only thing is on small leaks it takes some time, some heat, and some cylinder pressure (ie; revving the engine) to get the leak to show. The only reasion a dealership would not be able to find a leak, would be not doing the test, not taking enough time doing the test, or not wanting to find the problem...;) Here is a vidio of the test I found on utube, as you can see its not rocket science. How to test head gasket failure using an antifree…: How to test head gasket failure using an antifreeze HC Tester - YouTube.
Mark

If you smell coolant inside the car with windows up and the HVAC off or on recirculate than its a heater core. If you smell it outside towards the front than it probably is a coolant leak on the engine. If you smell it towards the back than it might be burning coolant.
Mark

Reactions: pilotattitude
When I talked to the dealership they told me that Ford tech line told them to just pull the spark plugs and look for coolant. I asked if they looked at the head and they said did not. What is a "mic"? I am wondering if I should suggest that to the dealership. Did Ford reach out to you about the issue/ replacing the vehicle or did you have to call them about it? Thanks for any info.
I'm not sure what the kawwikids mechanic was talking about. A mic. Is usually short for micrometer which is used to measure things. Their is nothing you could measure with a micrometer on a cylinder head with it still on the engine. If the head is on the engine the only way that I know of to look at the combustion chamber is with a bore scope. A bore scope is a tool that uses mirrors or a small camera and fits down the sparkplug hole. This allows you to look at the combustion chamber and cylinder on some engines.
Mark

Hey charlie g, is your car a 2013 1.6L and part of the recall? If so try to make the dealership do the HC test for the coolant system that I mentioned earlier in thread. That test works and as I'm sure you know if theirs any hydrocarbons in the cooling system that is not going to fix its self or go away its only going to get worse.
Mark

The problem with this engine, the way I see it, is bad implementation. The engine it's self, mechanically is fine. This engine was designed for a turbo, Ford didn't just hang one on a regular engine. The reason Ford is installing these kits is not all the engines are bad yet. If the coolant level didn't get too low and the engine wasn't over heated than it is repairable.
Their is something that is prone to leak externally on the 2013 cooling system design, once the coolant level is low enough the engine overheats and the micro fracturing to the head happens. At that point the engine is junk and needs to be replaced.
Mark

Look if the engine has a cracked head, blown head gasket or the cylinder/combustion chamber is compromised in any way you will know in short order. Their is no way you will get very far without the engine overheating and no hoses or anything else will fix it. If you took you Escape on a trip and it did not overheat the engine is probably sound.
Mark

So the added increase in fuel consumption with the active shutters removed should bring the 1.6 liter engine exactly in line with the 2.0 as far as mileage goes.

...so what was the point of the 1.6 liter Ecoboost again???
So you can change the timing belt at 90,000mi.>:D
Mark

I have a 2014 job 2 (second half of the year) Titanium 2.0l with all but four options and 3000 miles on it. I have had the car sense the middle of February and I highly recommend this car, I have had zero problems with it thus far. My wife and I both love driving it, and my only complaint so far is I don't get to drive it enough. I'm a mechanic by trade and I believe the tech and car over all are solid. If you decide to go with the Escape go with the 2.0l, I think its worth the extra bucks.
The options I didn't get were AWD, GPS, 19in. wheels, and the tech. package which consisted of self park, HID head lights, rain sensing wipers, and blind spot sensing. If I could have split up the tech. package I would like to have had the HID headlights. Everything has worked every time so far.
I'm 54 years old so I've had a lot of cars and this is my favorite so far.
Mark

Reactions: 2014Escape
You need to take it back to the dealer and tell them how often your adding coolant. You more than likely have one of two problems. One, an external coolant leak or two an internal leak. The external leak should be able to be repaired. An internal leak (the most likely) on the other hand will probably require an engine change. If it were mine I would request the dealer do an overnight coolant leak test that others here have talked about. The dealer pulls the spark plugs, adds air pressure to the cooling system and let's it set over night. The next day they take a bore scope and check each cylinder for micro fracturing of the cylinder head. This problem will only get worse and needs to be addressed before it leave you stranded or you run out of warranty.
Mark