2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
731K views 612 replies 155 participants last post by  mattg 
Ford Produces Fix in Voluntary Safety Recall of 2013 Escapes, 2013 Fusions with 1.6-liter Engines

• Ford today announced a corrective action to address potential engine overheating that could result in engine fires in 2013 Ford Escape SE and SEL models with the 1.6-liter engine and 2013 Ford Fusion SE and SEL models with the 1.6-liter engine

• Ford will make updates to the cooling system software to better manage engine temperatures during a unique overheating condition. Original cooling system design was not able to address a loss of coolant system pressure under certain operating conditions. The new software will resolve this issue

• Escapes equipped with the 2.0-liter and 2.5-liter engines are unaffected as are Fusions equipped with 2.5-liter and hybrid engines

• Ford remains absolutely committed to continuously improving and providing the highest-quality vehicles to its customers. When a potential issue is identified, Ford acts promptly on behalf of customers

There are compression tests, and, other visual cues, along with a big one if coolant is getting into your cylinders, like the sweet coolant smell and white opaque color of smoke coming from your exhaust which is thicker than normal.

We have decided to go with the Mazda CX-5. I found a 2014 we like and the dealership is willing to make a great deal on it as the 2015 are starting to show up at the dealership. I am still a huge Ford fan and the way Ford handled the issue restored my faith in them. I plan on buying a New Ford Edge when the redesigned ones come out to replace my wife's car. I appreciate everyone's input on the forum.
Congrats on your choice, Good luck with it!