2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
731K views 612 replies 155 participants last post by  mattg 
It isn't a big leak. I have had to fill the coolant twice since the beginning of February. It was almost empty both times. I can smell the coolant every time I turn the car off and get out. It is definitely burning coolant in the engine but a little at a time.
If you can smell coolant, you probably have an actual leak, rather than burning it off.
I'd bet the plastic coolant tank or its pressure cap is leaking.
Why does Ford allow this tank to be pressurized up to 20 psig? Seems dumb to me!

If this is a widespread problem, Ford should replace all 1.6's with 2.0's at their expense.
But, first, they need to come clean about what the problem actually is.
Perhaps one of our Ford reps can give us the "straight story"

More importantly, is the 1.6 block and head system strong enough to withstand forced induction?
There are many sad stories of DIY turbo or super charging destroying perfectly good engines.
Wonder if Ford made a mistake like a backyard shadetree mechanic would?
I presently have no problems, but am becoming concerned about the longevity of my 1.6.

Mine is a 2014, built in October 2013.
To our Ford reps:
How can I quickly visually verify that I have the revamped cooling system?
I'm an engineer with over 35 years years experience around all sorts of machinery, just tell me what to look for and I'll fibs it.
For now, I will use the photos from the recall manuals and poke around under the hood. But, maybe the 2014 plumbing is different to begin with?

Need an answer - but, don't send me to the dealer - I'll go there if I determine that I need to.

Mine is a 2014, built in October 2013.
To our Ford reps:
How can I quickly visually verify that I have the revamped cooling system?
I'm an engineer with over 35 years years experience around all sorts of machinery, just tell me what to look for and I'll find it.
For now, I will use the photos from the recall manuals and poke around under the hood. But, maybe the 2014 plumbing is different to begin with?

Need an answer - but, don't send me to the dealer - I'll go there if I determine that I need to.
Sorry for double post - can't edit on my iPhone.

Inspected mine, and I do not have the standpipe shown in the recall fix posted here.
But, my plumbing is somewhat different than shown in the photos and sketches shown in the recall fix. Since there is no recall on 2014's, I'm probably good to go, plus I do not smell any coolant, nor is my level dropping.

Here's my take on the recall fix:

Standpipe, new degassing bottle, associated wiring, and programming were added to monitor coolant level and send an alarm on a low level.

Shields, drain holes, etc. were added - why? - to deal with continuing oil and coolant leaks from heat damaged heads? (these engines need to be replaced - band-aids won't cut it)

A new lower temperature thermostat was installed - probably the major fix for the problem.
Part of the software update probably changed how and when the coolant solenoid valves operate - also something very major for keeping temperatures under control.

A new pressure cap was supplied for the degassing bottle - probably a higher pressure cap, to increase the boiling point of the coolant. This could be a big thing also.

A new O ring was installed in a quick connect fitting in a major coolant line - might have been a source of leakage.

A new oil dipstick was supplied - probably to declare a lower oil level as safe - overfilling the crankcase of an engine is a sure way to cause engine damage.

Ford reps - am I barking up the right tree here?

External leak - could be the O ring I mentioned above.

Overheating - could be the thermostat swap and pressure cap I mentioned above. Get the coolant to the radiator sooner, and keep the pressure up so the coolant doesn't boil.

I agree on the engine, a solid performer in Europe for several trouble- free years.
Maybe inexperienced young engineers worked on the US cooling system design?

A full buyback is probably not possible.
But, maybe Ford could offer a "lifetime" warranty on the 1.6 engines to the original owners, all vehicles and model years.
Realistically, probably only a small percentage of 1.6's actually have the problem, so the cost to Ford would be minimal, yet offer a massive amount of peace of mind to all 1.6 owners, knowing that Ford stands behind their product 100%. This would also show that Ford has faith in the 1.6.

Are you listening Ashley?

DKazoroski,

I'm unable to offer any technical advice to customers because Ford-certified technicians are in the best position to diagnose your concerns and offer repair assistance.

If you change you mind about going to the dealer, let me know. I'll be happy to let your regional customer service manager know about your situation.

Ashley
Maybe Ford should assign a techie to the forum (Jeep and a few others do this - I've learned a lot from those folks).
There are a few gearheads, motorheads, and car geeks like myself here who would like to have technical discussions with someone right from the source.
What does everyone think?

I picked my car up on Friday 3/28 from the dealership after they preformed recall 13S12. I drove about 700 miles this weekend with 250 mile stretch with 80 degree weather. I had very little hope that it would actually fix the issue because I thought this is just a band-aid fix to the issue. I will say it has significantly reduced the amount of coolant lose from the whole degauss bottle every month or about 2,500 or so miles. Now it will probably take about 3 or 4 months to use all the coolant in the degauss bottle or about 7,500 miles. Ford hasn't even tried to offer me an extended warranty or anything on the vehicle. I am afraid now that the engine will die right after my 60,000 mile warranty runs out.
Have you actually observed continued coolant loss after the fix?
If so, the root cause of the problem has not been found in your car.

All cars do consume some coolant in normal use.
On a brand new car, as a result of deaeration of the cooling system.
On in-service cars, a small amount of the water in the mix boils off over time.
My experience has been that I need to put in about 6 fluid ounces a year to compensate for the loss.
Please keep us posted on your cooling system experience.

"They can no longer pressure test the system" - either a lie or incompetence on the part of the dealership.
As the system heats up pressure builds, this pressure helps raise the boiling point of the coolant - critical that the coolant stays liquid to be able to do its job.
What a dealer!!!