2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
731K views 612 replies 155 participants last post by  mattg 
My bet is on micro cracks in the cylinder head. A small amount of coolant is being burned off and out the exhaust.

Is this a design flaw, or just caused from cooling issues? I'm sure we will never be told fully.

I remember back when the 1st generation Dodge Neon came out. A cheap head gasket was used which caused coolant leaks. Chrysler never did a full scale recall, and most repairs where left up to the customer.

If these are micro cracks, there will only be a very tiny amount of coolant being burned, probably not enough to even be noticed in the exhaust.

This is why the coolant level only drops slightly in the 1.6 Ecoboost (the engines under the recall anyways). I really hope this is not an issue with all the 1.6L Ecoboost engines.

Now if it was a major head gasket leak like the Dodge Neon had then you would see a milk shake in your engine oil, and see lots of white smoke out the exhaust pipe.

That is quite a bit of coolant. A new vehicle should not use up any coolant.

This is very concerning for a new vehicle. Makes me wish I would have bought a 2.0 FWD instead of the 1.6

I've noticed the coolant in my1.6L 2014 Escape getting low. I'm going to buy some coolant and keep an eye on the level. I have a little over 2,000 KM's on the vehicle, so it may be due to the break in period of the engine?

The 2.0 was or is made in Spain. I thought production was supposed to move to Cleveland, Ohio?

it is at the dealer again leaking coolant, when they pressure tested for the tsb they found the water pump leaking, a fuel line miss installed at the factory, first recall was for cars built though aug 31 2012 our was built 09-05-2012 a bit close in time,
shop foreman called me to tell me the news since we know each other, said I've never seen a 55 page tsb ever in my 30 years and 6.1 hours is a no way repair. had to order the pump and fuel line.

What a nightmare, you would think Ford would have put you into a new vehicle by now.

So the added increase in fuel consumption with the active shutters removed should bring the 1.6 liter engine exactly in line with the 2.0 as far as mileage goes.

...so what was the point of the 1.6 liter Ecoboost again???

So is this change (removal) being done coming down the line on the new(er) 2014 Job 2 models as well?

My Escape SE was built December 2nd, 2013 (Job 2 Build) and has all four active shutter blade above the bumper and five shutter blades below the bumper. I guess I will have to ask the dealership if I need to remove a couple of the shutter blades?

I was just in the Ford dealership this morning. Looking to trade in my 2014 Escape with the 1.6 for a 2015 with the 2.0

I took the 2.0 for a test drive and it put a smile on my face! I can't believe how quiet the engine is and how much more get up and go it has compared to the 1.6