2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 40 of 613 Posts
Almost empty both times...wow, that's not good at all. I can see maybe an ounce or so ever so often, then top it off. but if you drive it for a while and it's almost empty, that's not good. Hopefully something does give and you vapor lock that motor. After you feel it up and drive it, have you noticed any discoloration in the coolant or an oil smell? No bubbles in the coolant while it's running? No white sludge when you do an oil change? Any white smoke with a good amount of water droplets?

It definitely has a issue that is not normal and I would def be concerned with. Sorry to hear.
And i meant to write "hopefully something doesn't give"

20 brand new fords in my life, this is the first ever that has had such major issues.my wife just called at about noon, I'm smelling it again, the coolant bottle is at the bottom line again, thank full I have a very good caring dealer that we deal with back on Tuesday.

Hey,I thought it was just mine.

My 1.6L loses coolant too. I have to top off the coolant about once a month when it gets below the "LOW" mark on the tank.
After driving and we park it in the garage I can smell coolant when standing in front of the car.
I took it to the dealer a couple months ago and they thought they found the problem and changed the water pump.
That didn't fix it.

We are taking it back to our dealer again in a week or so when it hits 20,000 miles and have it serviced while its there.

Never had a new car absorb coolant before.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
The Ford dealership just called me to tell me they have performed the recall 13S12 fix after having my car for 10 days. They told me it was a 52 page manual and a bunch of parts they had to replace from hoses to the thermostat to a wiring harness. I have to drive about 700 miles this weekend and I will be keeping an eye on the coolant level. I told the Service Advisor that I would let him know if it worked or not ( I have about 1% faith it fixed the issue since I believe the issue is cracks in the cylinder head). I will update this post to let everyone know my findings.

I've noticed the coolant in my1.6L 2014 Escape getting low. I'm going to buy some coolant and keep an eye on the level. I have a little over 2,000 KM's on the vehicle, so it may be due to the break in period of the engine?

If you smell coolant inside the car with windows up and the HVAC off or on recirculate than its a heater core. If you smell it outside towards the front than it probably is a coolant leak on the engine. If you smell it towards the back than it might be burning coolant.
Mark

Reactions: pilotattitude
We went though this same thing on our 2013 1.6 SE. The dealer did all kinds of test, pressure test and leak downs, and the system was holding pressure, but about 1 day after getting it back each time (it was in 3 times) the coolant level would drop about 2 to 3 inches from where the dealer had just filled it up. When we stopped and turned off the car, we could smell coolant. Ford tech line told my dealer to use a mic and look inside the head. Sure enough there was micro cracks all though it. Ford did a vehicle exchange for us, putting us a left over 2.0 SE. But it took almost 11 weeks to get everything resolved, so prepare to be patient..

If this is a widespread problem, Ford should replace all 1.6's with 2.0's at their expense.
But, first, they need to come clean about what the problem actually is.
Perhaps one of our Ford reps can give us the "straight story"

More importantly, is the 1.6 block and head system strong enough to withstand forced induction?
There are many sad stories of DIY turbo or super charging destroying perfectly good engines.
Wonder if Ford made a mistake like a backyard shadetree mechanic would?
I presently have no problems, but am becoming concerned about the longevity of my 1.6.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Ford tech line told my dealer to use a mic and look inside the head. Sure enough there was micro cracks all though it. But it took almost 11 weeks to get everything resolved, so prepare to be patient..
When I talked to the dealership they told me that Ford tech line told them to just pull the spark plugs and look for coolant. I asked if they looked at the head and they said did not. What is a "mic"? I am wondering if I should suggest that to the dealership. Did Ford reach out to you about the issue/ replacing the vehicle or did you have to call them about it? Thanks for any info.

When I talked to the dealership they told me that Ford tech line told them to just pull the spark plugs and look for coolant. I asked if they looked at the head and they said did not. What is a "mic"? I am wondering if I should suggest that to the dealership. Did Ford reach out to you about the issue/ replacing the vehicle or did you have to call them about it? Thanks for any info.
I'm not sure what the kawwikids mechanic was talking about. A mic. Is usually short for micrometer which is used to measure things. Their is nothing you could measure with a micrometer on a cylinder head with it still on the engine. If the head is on the engine the only way that I know of to look at the combustion chamber is with a bore scope. A bore scope is a tool that uses mirrors or a small camera and fits down the sparkplug hole. This allows you to look at the combustion chamber and cylinder on some engines.
Mark

I was a combo vw and Toyota tech for 45 years, the tool needed is a bore scope as told above. after the 21 day down first major on dec 2nd 2012 ford was very kind and gave us a 75k bumper to bumper extended warranty, but more recalls and stink of coolant leaking onto hot surfaces i'm worried
we had it with this our first bad ford, since 1964 , as we are now afraid to drive it any distance and have filed a lemon law suite. hope it doesn't take for ever

Hey charlie g, is your car a 2013 1.6L and part of the recall? If so try to make the dealership do the HC test for the coolant system that I mentioned earlier in thread. That test works and as I'm sure you know if theirs any hydrocarbons in the cooling system that is not going to fix its self or go away its only going to get worse.
Mark

mark
the dealer I go to is the best in my area. it is a small father and son run dealership, both great in how sales treats people and for a top notch service department, so yes the have tested and performed every test they can. and done everything ford has told them to do to date.

when the motor is good and hot the smell of leaking antifreeze enters the cab with a strong odder which can also be smelt out side and under the hood. the coolant bottle goes down slowly, each week it needs to be filled ,there is no signs of coolant in the exhaust, no oil into the coolant bottle, no excessive pressure into the bottle, just the strong smell of a leak.

our car which we like most love for performance and good mpg's is a early built special for us 09/12. it was delayed in being built for the fuel line and casting plug recalls, and one of the ones removed from the road on dec 2- 2012. for 21 days after that re-flash the gauges, lights and radio didn't work properly, another re-flash , 5 recalls for this motor is to much.

Hey charlie g, is your car a 2013 1.6L and part of the recall? If so try to make the dealership do the HC test for the coolant system that I mentioned earlier in thread. That test works and as I'm sure you know if theirs any hydrocarbons in the cooling system that is not going to fix its self or go away its only going to get worse.
Mark
forgot YES it is one of the early ones under the all the leak recalls built special for us in 09/2012 .

Mine is a 2014, built in October 2013.
To our Ford reps:
How can I quickly visually verify that I have the revamped cooling system?
I'm an engineer with over 35 years years experience around all sorts of machinery, just tell me what to look for and I'll fibs it.
For now, I will use the photos from the recall manuals and poke around under the hood. But, maybe the 2014 plumbing is different to begin with?

Need an answer - but, don't send me to the dealer - I'll go there if I determine that I need to.

21 - 40 of 613 Posts