2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so our 2013 is loosing coolant slowly. I can smell it from time to time upon exiting the vehicle. What are the dealers replacing to fix this? I have an appointment for Friday at 8am to drop it off and have it checked out. I have an in-depth mechanical background, I am a factory trained GM tech(I have since moved towards greener pastures), and I like to know what's going on with stuff. The only reason I am taking it to the dealer is because of the warranty. If there wasn't a warranty I wouldn't be taking it.
I wish I couldn't smell it, I wish it was internal. Because being that the early 1.6's are notorious for having internal leaks, I don't want to be stuck with a broke dick head or block when the warranty runs out. I am seriously considering trading this hush puppy in when the warranty is about up. I don't have the time or money(until I'm done with college) to deal with a $5000 repair. Screw that, they can have the thing back for $5000 lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Blown head gasket can cause loss of coolant, if it leaks bad enough you will notice rough idle until it burns off the coolant. Noticed several people on the web complaining about head gasket leaks on 2013 1.6.

·
Registered
145 Posts
going by problems with my own and also having been a dealer tech factory dsm for a German car company.

item one found was the copper compression seals on the turbo cooler lines , water pumps on the 13 1.6 were another common issue with them on back order for a while, I waited close to 2 months adding coolant every few days .
finally with no external leaks only the stink ,being found they did a over night pressure test on the system, next morning they pulled the spark plugs and dropped a bore scope down though the hole. low and behold there was drops of orange coolant on top of the pistons. if you look on line for ford dealers selling parts, you will find the cylinder head for 1.6 l motors listed as to 07/24/2013 "discontinued use this number cj5z6006g which is a service long block assembly 2 times superseded to a 2015 number. photos of the engine can be seen in this ebay listing for a price I find way under dealer cost since they list for $3.358.52 plus a $800.00 core Ford Escape 1 6 Egoboost Eng 2012' 2013' CJ5Z 6006 G Under Dealer Cost No COR | eBay
as I was told this is a complete long block engine with injectors. VC, timing belt and cover ,water pump, oil cooler and filter minus the intake and exhaust manifolds. some external parts and flex plate
please let us know how you make out and what is found

·
Registered
299 Posts
So a 2014 Ford Escape with the 1.6 engine would have the older version of the the cylinder head?

Technically a 1.6 liter Escape built in 2014 could have head gasket issues down the road, say at 45,000 plus miles?

I'd like to think that I could get many miles out of my ride without a major engine rebuild.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
So a 2014 Ford Escape with the 1.6 engine would have the older version of the the cylinder head?

Technically a 1.6 liter Escape built in 2014 could have head gasket issues down the road, say at 45,000 plus miles?

I'd like to think that I could get many miles out of my ride without a major engine rebuild.
The cooling issues on the 1.6ls were from coolant loss and overheating not so much a bad cylinder head design. People were developing coolant leaks from the water pump and other places on the early 2013s. Then they would run the engine till it overheated causing blown head gaskets or micro fracturing of the cylinder head. This happen because of faulty software not activating limp mode or auto shut down. This was corrected by a PCM flash and rerouting coolant lines.
The 2014 came with the cylinder head update and the current software update and hose routing. Another words I wouldn't worry about the longevity of the 2014 1.6ls. They should last a long time if you keep the oil changed and replace the timing belt at the recommended mileage.
Mark

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it was a GM vehicle, what would you be changing to fix it?

---
...that's not really a clear question. I would replace what was leaking, and different cars I would suspect different areas. Most vehicles/engines have their common places they leak. If it was a DeVille with an older Northstar I would immediately look at the crossover gaskets and waterpump housing seal, a Vortec 350, the heater hose quick connect adapter, on an LS motor, the waterpump and thermostat housing seal, any GM V6 the waterpump, 3.8 in particular the coolant bypass elbow, 3.1/3.4 the intake gaskets, they typically leak in the corners as well into the engine, or the coolant temp sensor.
Hence why I asked my question. I know a couple of people on here that external coolant leaks and didn't really see a final outcome so I was hoping they would chime in and tell me what the dealer replaced for them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did list what was done and replaced. the list is long as is my pile of repair orders high , the final outcome was a new motor mine was one of many with a bad cylinder head casting, proven with the use both black lamp and dies showing external cracks and a bore scope that showed drops of coolant on the piston tops ,

there has been several major recalls for the early 1.6 ecoboost motors www.safercars.gov will give you the information your looking for. These pretty much cover 1.6 ecoboost motors built from Oct 11 2011 to June 2nd 2013 with coolant leaks and what ford has done for the better and our personal safety.

you state your a gm tech? Then you should well know, We techs can no longer rely on our eyes and simple pressure testing to find leaks. These are now the days and have been for several years, Of adding black light die to a system, while some of these leaks are from parts like a water pump. core plug or loose sealing rings to micro cracks from bad castings that can't bee seen without help. IE black light and bore scopes,
I'm sorry to say this to a fellow tech, your car needs to go into the dealer and be checked as per the many TSB's they have access to.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I agree with Ocean48, I always use a coolant hydrocarbon test kit when I have a overheating engine or one I can't figure out where the coolant is going. It's cheap and it works every time if you know how to use it. Their is simply no reason for hydrocarbons to be in the cooling system and if you find them their you have a bad problem.
Mark

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yes, as long as the dealer is open at 8am tomorrow it's going to the dealer. Made an appointment Tuesday for tomorrow. I almost bought a hydrocarbon tester but decided I'd let the dealer handle it and depending on what they say will determine if I buy one. I can smell the coolant under the hood but no idea where the world it's going. Being FE's have a cover panel underneath I can't tell where the leak is. It hasn't spotted in a parking lot yet, and it has snowed here quite a bit. I'm interested to see what's up. I'll check my build date as well to see if it possibly has a crappy block or head. Being it's a 2013 I'm sure it does.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well due to the snow we have had the dealer wasn't open this morning. So I will call tomorrow to if they're open. If not Monday I will reschedule.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Well due to the snow we have had the dealer wasn't open this morning. So I will call tomorrow to if they're open. If not Monday I will reschedule.
Hi 91sonomast,

I wanted to check in with you on how your appointment went. Please let me know if you have any updates. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dropped it off yesterday at the dealer at 8am. They called me around 10:30am with the diagnosis of a leaking waterpump. Part was supposed to come in today. Hopefully can pick it up tomorrow. They gave us a loaner as well. Our dealer are good people just concerned with the long-term ownership of this thing being it is an early '13 with the KNOWN block/head casting defect that is most likely going to cause issues at some point that I AM NOT going to pay for even if it is out of warranty. @FordService is there anyway you can get me the records of the warranty work performed on my vehicle?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Dropped it off yesterday at the dealer at 8am. They called me around 10:30am with the diagnosis of a leaking waterpump. Part was supposed to come in today. Hopefully can pick it up tomorrow. They gave us a loaner as well. Our dealer are good people just concerned with the long-term ownership of this thing being it is an early '13 with the KNOWN block/head casting defect that is most likely going to cause issues at some point that I AM NOT going to pay for even if it is out of warranty. @FordService is there anyway you can get me the records of the warranty work performed on my vehicle?
I'm glad to hear your dealer's been great. Since I'm not a technician, I don't have access to that information, however, your dealer would be able to let you know. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Meagan

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked it up tonight after hours. Haven't even had time to pop the hood or look it over. It will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon. I will try to talk to the service department tomorrow and get the warranty records.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And just when you brag on someone they mess it up. Picked it up after hours and we used the wife's key. They were supposed to leave my key in the car, didn't see it in the cupholder or door pocket so figured they forgot. Called the dealer, "left it under the floormat." I get home, of course after they've closed, checked under every floormat, every seat, no key. Called hoping to catch the service writer, he's out, they call him, he says, "under the floormat." I assured them it was not under the floormat, I will be going up there Monday and figuring out where my **** key is. He told the lady that called him, "have him check under seat it probably slid under there." Good try buckaroo but the floormats are clipped in place and a key with a ring and a rubber tag on it aren't simply going to slide out from under it. Not real impressed with this situation, I foresee him somehow trying to turn this on to me, it's not going to happen.

·
Registered
299 Posts
On the subject of the leaking water pump. At how many miles did you start noticing coolant loss?

I have a 2014 with the 1.6 liter engine and even though it is a late model 2014 build last June and has low mileage it seems to have used up some coolant.

I took a look today and noticed the coolant is below the "Minimum" mark on the over flow bottle. When new the level was above the "Max line". This is with a cold engine that has sat for a couple of days.

I'm wondering if the water pump leak is common with the 1.6 Ecoboost engines?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Idk if it's common but I am by far not the first with this issue.
Our vehicle has 47k miles, they had to top off the coolant when we bought it a 41k miles so I'm assuming then. But I had been noticing a coolant smell for a week or so when I made this thread.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts