2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Idk if it's common but I am by far not the first with this issue.
Our vehicle has 47k miles, they had to top off the coolant when we bought it a 41k miles so I'm assuming then. But I had been noticing a coolant smell for a week or so when I made this thread.

The water pump replacement seems more like a band aid fix as other members on this forum have had their water pumps replaced and the coolant still continues to burn up and out the exhaust pipe.

If you continue to lose coolant I would press the dealership further to look into the possibility that the engine head has micro cracks.

Again this seems to be only affecting the 1.6 Ecoboost engine. Some 2014 owners are also loosing coolant. I've noticed the level of coolant in my late model 2014 1.6 is also well below the minimum level and needs to be topped off with only 3,000 km's on the clock.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The water pump replacement seems more like a band aid fix as other members on this forum have had their water pumps replaced and the coolant still continues to burn up and out the exhaust pipe.

If you continue to lose coolant I would press the dealership further to look into the possibility that the engine head has micro cracks.

Again this seems to be only affecting the 1.6 Ecoboost engine. Some 2014 owners are also loosing coolant. I've noticed the level of coolant in my late model 2014 1.6 is also well below the minimum level and needs to be topped off with only 3,000 km's on the clock.
Oh trust me I will be. And when they call me and say, "your vehicle is ready, we can't find anything...it must have just evaporated, you can come pick it up now." I will go up there, tell them that, that is a COMPLETELY ** and unacceptable answer, and to call me when they have a better solution.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My sister in laws 2014 Escape SE 1.6 L just turned over 17,000 km's

I had a look just for the heck of it at the coolant level. To my surprise the coolant container was almost completely empty. I'm really surprised that there isn't some sort of check engine light that hasn't turned on yet.

I told her to get it to the dealership first thing in the morning.

She had an oil change done on her Escape at the Ford dealership at about 9,000 km's. I'm surprised that the technician did not notice the low coolant level, or maybe they did and topped it off. and it has since used up the entire coolant overflow bottle of coolant.

There is no way that a new vehicle with only 17,000 km's should have lost that much coolant. Luckily for her it's only a lease and is paid for by her work.

I guess this is the last hint I need to trade in my 2014 1.6 Escape for 2015 with the 2.0

I don't put a ton of mileage on my vehicle but plan on keeping it for at least 12 years. With my current 1.6 Ecoboost there is no way that I would be able to get 12 years out of it with coolant loss.

·
Registered
338 Posts
...(snip) .....

I guess this is the last hint I need to trade in my 2014 1.6 Escape for 2015 with the 2.0

I don't put a ton of mileage on my vehicle but plan on keeping it for at least 12 years. With my current 1.6 Ecoboost there is no way that I would be able to get 12 years out of it with coolant loss.
Now you don't know this. I put over 30,000 miles (about 48,000 km if my math is correct) in just about 16 months or so on our '14 1.6 without ANY coolant loss.... But as good as an excuse to buy a new car as any, I suppose!

·
Registered
299 Posts
So my sister in law has an appointment to take her 2014 Escape in to the dealership this week.

She stopped by an independent garage and the mechanic told her to take it to the dealership as the vehicle is still under warranty. He told her not to have Ford fill the coolant, but to find out why so much coolant has disappeared. He told her that a new car with low mileage (17,000 km's) should NOT be using up any coolant.

I am pretty sure Ford will fill the coolant up and send her on her way without even trying to find out if the water pump is leaking, or if there is something else going on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Most likely, they will give her a new water pump - saying that is the source of the leak. But check it very carefully every couple weeks because if it is like mine the leak will still be there. I had the big recall done on this issue, then the new water pump, and now I can see the slow leak is still there.

Good luck to her, and yes luckily it is just a lease! Other than the 1.6 engine issues, I absolutely LOVE this car!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
So my sister in law has an appointment to take her 2014 Escape in to the dealership this week...
Thanks for the update, CND_Escape.

Let us know the outcome, and if your sister-in-law needs further assistance. Don’t hesitate to contact my FordServiceCA colleagues here.

Most likely, they will give her a new water pump - saying that is the source of the leak. But check it very carefully every couple weeks because if it is like mine the leak will still be there. I had the big recall done on this issue, then the new water pump, and now I can see the slow leak is still there...
Tbudjobs,

If your vehicle is still experiencing symptoms, let me lend a hand. What’s the mileage?

Tricia

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Now you don't know this. I put over 30,000 miles (about 48,000 km if my math is correct) in just about 16 months or so on our '14 1.6 without ANY coolant loss.... But as good as an excuse to buy a new car as any, I suppose!
An engine losing coolant, especially if it is an internal leak will not last, that I can say with 100% confidence, if it is a minor leak now it will compound into a large leak.
Yes, your 2014 has the new block/head design so you will probably not see the leak we are talking about.

·
Registered
338 Posts
An engine losing coolant, especially if it is an internal leak will not last, that I can say with 100% confidence, if it is a minor leak now it will compound into a large leak.
Yes, your 2014 has the new block/head design so you will probably not see the leak we are talking about.
Ok, I guess I am confused. First off, I didn't know that there had been a block/head redesign. When did this change take place? Secondly, my '14 FE 1.6 has a build date of June 2013, CND_Escape, who is concerned about coolant loss in their '14 1.6 shows a build date of June 2014, a full year later than mine. Additionally, I don't think CND was saying their '14 was leaking, just that sister's was. Like I said, I am confused! :confused: LOL EDIT: I read back a few posts and CND did say their late build 14 was showing a coolant loss.

How would any of know if we have the "new" block/head?

Thanks for explaining this.:)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yes my sister in law is having the coolant loss in her 2014 Escape with the 1.6 engine.

I'm not sure of the build date, but I'll find out.

I thought the new engine/head was a 2015 thing only??

·
Registered
299 Posts
I checked the VIN on my sister in laws Escape and it was built March 28th, 2014

I though the new head part number for the 2015's

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Maybe it was only a 15 thing. I thought 14's got it as well.

·
Registered
299 Posts
So my sister in laws 2014 Escape spent two days at the dealership. They had to order a part.

They changed the cap on the degas coolant bottle as they said the gasket under the cap was faulty. They topped off the coolant and sent her on her way.

I checked the coolant bottle a couple weeks ago and did not notice any leaking coolant unless it was evaporating?

I still think the water pump leaking may be to blame.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
So my sister in laws 2014 Escape spent two days at the dealership. They had to order a part.

They changed the cap on the degas coolant bottle as they said the gasket under the cap was faulty. They topped off the coolant and sent her on her way.

I checked the coolant bottle a couple weeks ago and did not notice any leaking coolant unless it was evaporating?

I still think the water pump leaking may be to blame.
Thanks for the update, CND_Escape!

Just a friendly reminder, if need anything don’t hesitate to contact my FordServiceCA colleagues here.

Have a great weekend! :)

Tricia

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 2.0 FWD Coolant loss mystery

55,000 miles in and "engine fault, service now light". Dealer says it was an over temp code caused by 1 gallon of coolant missing. Powertrain warranty would only respond if the issue was internal. The dealer has had the vehicle for 3 days and calls to tell me to come pick it up. They cannot find the issue. They have pressure tested the coolant system. And used a scope to look in the cylinders. I have found many issues regarding the 1.6 motor and coolant. Nothing on the 2.0. The Ford dealer wants me to come get the vehicle as they cannot find where they system is loosing coolant. The only time I have ever though there may be any issue is after long trips. When getting in the garage and out of the vehicle there is a smell that could be coolant. I always passed this off as possible adhesive or rubber getting warm.

Where do I go from here? Being that this vehicle is still under warranty, do I push the issue? What further testing should be done on this issue?

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
55,000 miles in and "engine fault, service now light". Dealer says it was an over temp code caused by 1 gallon of coolant missing. Powertrain warranty would only respond if the issue was internal. The dealer has had the vehicle for 3 days and calls to tell me to come pick it up. They cannot find the issue. They have pressure tested the coolant system. And used a scope to look in the cylinders. I have found many issues regarding the 1.6 motor and coolant. Nothing on the 2.0. The Ford dealer wants me to come get the vehicle as they cannot find where they system is loosing coolant. The only time I have ever though there may be any issue is after long trips. When getting in the garage and out of the vehicle there is a smell that could be coolant. I always passed this off as possible adhesive or rubber getting warm.

Where do I go from here? Being that this vehicle is still under warranty, do I push the issue? What further testing should be done on this issue?
Welcome to the forum.

I merged your thread with this existing thread on coolant loss. There are a lot of other threads on this, if you can't find the information you need here. Just have to do a quick search.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Well, I will jump with my tale. 2013 SE early built. 84000 or so kms. Well maintained. Had coolant lost when new, after 2 or 3 overhear/coolant related recalls the car did not loose a drop of coolant.
During test under Ford dealer due to a horrible drive train sound car heated up. Ending in several parts ordered under a TSB which is coolant system related. After that, cars starts loosing coolant a liitle every month or two. Luckyly, reservoir level sensor works and car warns at "min" level. Dealer can not find the source. They pressure test and purged all system.
There's is one thing, car idles poorly at some starts, then smooths... It still have plenty of power (1.6T speaking). Turbo, PTO, drive shaft, engine/trans mount all replaced.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L23 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
aruek;924033 There's is one thing said:
idles poorly at some starts, then smooths[/B]...

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L23 using Tapatalk
This should be a clue if the dealer was made aware of it. A borescope into the combustion chambers after an overnight will likely reveal coolant therein. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just recently received my recall notice on this from Ford (2014 1.6T). It was a preliminary letter stating that if i'm not experiencing issues (which i'm not) they will contact me again when all parts are gathered for the recall. Luckily I haven't noticed any coolant loss or overheating. This scares me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
coolant loss

I am the owner of a 2015 Ford Escape with 1.6 ecoboost engine. I've had this vehicle for 4 months and it has 50000 kms on it. I checked my expansion tank and noticed it was under the min line..I added about 1 cup of coolant and noticed a big puddle underneath the tank which i figured must have been from me spilling coolant somehow. My wife took the vehicle for a drive of about 30 kms and it was about an inch lower than when I filled it. My vehicle doesn't overheat and there isn't any oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. The car runs excellent and I only ever see coolant on the driveway when I add coolant but I don't see any wetness anywhere. Any ideas?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts