2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
The tank isn't just for coolant expansion. The radiator will also draw coolant in from the tank, as needed. Add some coolant a little at a time until it stays above MIN when coolant has cooled after a run cycle, and use a funnel to avoid spills.

·
Registered
811 Posts
there are a multitude of problems with the 1.6 engine!
make sure all recalls have been done.
Also there are a number of TSB's that you need to know about!

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,048 Posts
The tank isn't just for coolant expansion. The radiator will also draw coolant in from the tank, as needed. Add some coolant a little at a time until it stays above MIN when coolant has cooled after a run cycle, and use a funnel to avoid spills.

I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same topic. If you do a search, there are lots of threads on low coolant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read all the other threads and thought they were all about the 2013's. I thought my problem was a different one so made a new thread. I don't understand why all coolant threads would be merged

·
Super Moderator
6,048 Posts
I read all the other threads and thought they were all about the 2013's. I thought my problem was a different one so made a new thread. I don't understand why all coolant threads would be merged

All of the information in all of the threads you read is still relevant to your issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went to try the 4th time to figure out where my antifreeze is going. Pressure test says no leak. Go out next day , on the carport n tank is empty. Had some kind of pressure valve replaced .nada. Love car 2013 self . ,kicker amp ,leather heated seats, rare deadpan green.

·
Registered
113 Posts
...that's not really a clear question. I would replace what was leaking, and different cars I would suspect different areas. Most vehicles/engines have their common places they leak. If it was a DeVille with an older Northstar I would immediately look at the crossover gaskets and waterpump housing seal, a Vortec 350, the heater hose quick connect adapter, on an LS motor, the waterpump and thermostat housing seal, any GM V6 the waterpump, 3.8 in particular the coolant bypass elbow, 3.1/3.4 the intake gaskets, they typically leak in the corners as well into the engine, or the coolant temp sensor.
Hence why I asked my question. I know a couple of people on here that external coolant leaks and didn't really see a final outcome so I was hoping they would chime in and tell me what the dealer replaced for them.
Dealer replaced my engine, but only after stringing me along for more than a year telling me it was other stuff... until it was undeniably a warped head.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I got 2013 2.0 Ford Escape on Sept. 18. Check engine light came on Sept 19. After numerous trips to garage, had to take it to Hilbish Ford, they have had it for 4 weeks. They are telling me there is a problem with the model's 2013-2018 that Ford hasn't did a recall on. From what I understand it is a problem with coolant leaking into the valve's. This is ridiculous. Ford needs to get it together. When I put my car in Hilbish had 16 Ford Escapes in line with the same problem. Shape up or I will got to another type of car.

·
Super Moderator
6,048 Posts
Hi, I got 2013 2.0 Ford Escape on Sept. 18. Check engine light came on Sept 19. After numerous trips to garage, had to take it to Hilbish Ford, they have had it for 4 weeks. They are telling me there is a problem with the model's 2013-2018 that Ford hasn't did a recall on. From what I understand it is a problem with coolant leaking into the valve's. This is ridiculous. Ford needs to get it together. When I put my car in Hilbish had 16 Ford Escapes in line with the same problem. Shape up or I will got to another type of car.
Merged your thread with one of the existing threads on coolant leaks. Have a look through the other posts for help. You can also search the forum for one of the many other coolant leak threads. They are easy to find with a quick search

·
Registered
1 Posts
few weeks ago while driving down a neighborhood street I get an alert "engine coolant low" the engine heat gage is 1/2 way, so I may a mental note to stope and have that checked. Not two blocks later I get alert/alarm that engine will shut down pull over, and within one block that happens. I pull over and do notice a little pink fluid dripping. I agreed to have towed to nearest mechanic (AAA). I have to admit I panicked and just said tow it to the nearest, not thinking I should have towed it to my dealer. Ended up being a Buick Dealership and since it was there I let them repair what they said was a bad water pump ($1,600 total repairs). Here is is about 2-3 weeks later and I get the same alert "engine coolant low". now I am afraid to drive it as to get to the dealership it is over several bridges with no side lanes to pull over. I will call dealership today to se what they have to say. I just notices on this site that several have had this issue but seems it was several years ago. Checking to see if anything like this recent?

·
Super Moderator
6,048 Posts
I me
few weeks ago while driving down a neighborhood street I get an alert "engine coolant low" the engine heat gage is 1/2 way, so I may a mental note to stope and have that checked. Not two blocks later I get alert/alarm that engine will shut down pull over, and within one block that happens. I pull over and do notice a little pink fluid dripping. I agreed to have towed to nearest mechanic (AAA). I have to admit I panicked and just said tow it to the nearest, not thinking I should have towed it to my dealer. Ended up being a Buick Dealership and since it was there I let them repair what they said was a bad water pump ($1,600 total repairs). Here is is about 2-3 weeks later and I get the same alert "engine coolant low". now I am afraid to drive it as to get to the dealership it is over several bridges with no side lanes to pull over. I will call dealership today to se what they have to say. I just notices on this site that several have had this issue but seems it was several years ago. Checking to see if anything like this recent?
I merged your thread with one of the existing threads on low coolant. We really don’t need yet another new thread on this. If you don’t find help in this thread, then please search the forum for the other threads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Coolant runs low goes into protection mode. We have to add fluid almost every other day. Biggest POS. Pressure tested, valve changed, nada.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Coolant runs low goes into protection mode. We have to add fluid almost every other day. Biggest POS. Pressure tested, valve changed, nada.
I'm right there with you guys. I found the leak in mine. There is a small tube that runs from the reservoir around the back of the engine and up to the radiator. That tube,because of a design or engineering flaw, runs against the power steering system fill cap. There's no way to keep it from rubbing and believe me I have tried. I have had to have it fixed 3 times now and it's 300.00 each time. I have only had it for 2 years as of December. I've gotten to where I carry coolant and a funnel at all times and as soon as the warning comes on I pull over and refill it before it goes into protection mode. Just like you said the gauge will only be half way but it still flashes low coolant warning and if you don't stop right away it will go into protection mode.
I like my Escape, but Ford needs to find a way to correct the problem. This really hits me hard in the bank account. I'm 65 yrs old and disabled. My social security doesn't allow for much extra spending for stupid problems like this one.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,589 Posts
I found the leak in mine. There is a small tube that runs from the reservoir around the back of the engine and up to the radiator. That tube,because of a design or engineering flaw, runs against the power steering system fill cap. There's no way to keep it from rubbing and believe me I have tried. I have had to have it fixed 3 times now and it's 300.00 each time.
Welcome to the forum. Do you have any pictures of the area where it's rubbing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Do you have any pictures of the area where it's rubbing?
I took a picture of it. You couldn't see the tube very clearly so I just got a little inventive. I put a piece of my granddaughter white play dough on the tube because the tube is black and so is the fill cap. The tube is leaking where you see the white play dough. The power steering fill cap is the black cap with the yellow markings on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can see in the picture where coolant has leaked onto the frame. It's just a pin hole right now but it will get worse as it continues rubbing on the cap. I've looked at other 2013 Ford escapes with 1.6 engine. They are all the same. The tube is right against the cap just like mine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This last post seems to make sense to me and I'll have to take a look at mine. Can't right now, the car isn't here. My symptoms are a bit different, so once I figure out what the source is, I'll post that here. It seems a lot of folks have had this issue, yet I really don't see a lot of solutions. We bought the 2013 Escape 1.6L as a certified used from our local Ford dealer. After about 6 months, the low coolant warning was issued. I checked the expansion tank and sure enough, it was low, so I topped it up. Since the warranty was still active, I took it to the dealer and they replaced the water pump and declared victory. Not bad, $100 deductible and I was back on the road. About 6 months later, I got the same message and went through the same process, only this time the dealer said "could not duplicate". That was 2-1/2 years ago and it's been leaking ever since and back to two different dealerships with the same results, no problem found. I recently had it pressure tested at the Ford dealership while they replaced my battery and they could not find a leak. Going back at least a year ago, I could smell antifreeze periodically, but could not see any signs of a leak, so I assumed it may be internal. I had taken it to the dealership for a seasonal tire change and state inspection. The guy who logged the car in noticed the smell as well, so they checked it out. Could not find the leak. Over the past 8 months or so, the problem has gotten worse and it needs to be topped up nearly every week. About 4 months ago, I noticed a puddle on my garage floor. Sure enough, antifreeze. Shortly after that, the warning came up. When I topped it up, some of the coolant actually ran out from under the car, so it's definitely an external leak. Despite that, no one seems to have a clue where it's coming from. It does appear to be associated with the number of times the temperature has been cycled. In other words, the number of times the engine has been brought up to temp, then allowed to completely cool. We took a weekend trip about a month ago and put on 500 miles without seeing the tank level drop. Then, about a week after returning home, the warning came up after less than 100 miles. So, I am assuming that when it heats up it must be forcing out a little coolant, then when it cools it draws in air. When this cycle has repeated enough times to reduce the tank level enough, the warning comes up. Two days ago, I refilled it and could see coolant leaking from between the right fender wheel liner and the subframe where the engine bottom cover is attached. I removed the liner yesterday to see if I could figure it out and there are no signs of where it came from. Very bizarre. I have left the liner out so that when it happens the next time, I can hopefully see exactly where it is coming from. If anyone out there has any ideas, based on what is above that area that could cause the leak, I'm listening. Is there some sort of pressure relief valve in that area.

·
Registered
811 Posts
The 2013 > 2020 escapes have electric steering, there is no power steering pump
the picture you showed is for the transmission fill plug. the transmission does not have a dipstick!!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,589 Posts
The 2013 > 2020 escapes have electric steering, there is no power steering pump
the picture you showed is for the transmission fill plug. the transmission does not have a dipstick!!!
Yes, part of the reason I was asking for a picture of the area. I missed the reply.

Thanks for posting the pic @horsewhisperer1954 . With the picture it may help others prevent the same wear related leak. Or, it could be a "one off" case and that coolant pipe isn't normally routed that way?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts