2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

2013 Escape Engine seems loud!

36K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  escape05xls 
#1 ·
I just purchased my 2013 Escape SEL w/Eco-Boost, which was a one-owner with approx. 40K miles. Although the mileage seems somewhat high, everything seems to be in great condition & the CarFax showed nothing unusual. One question I do have is this; I realize the car has a turbo, but it, to me, seems to have a somewhat loud engine noise. In other words, it's not quiet like my wife's Kia Sportage SUV, particularly as it's auto transmission shifts through the gears. I did take it to my local Ford dealer & had a salesman drive it around the lot & he said he didn't hear anything out of the norm. I also had it serviced there, oil change, rotation, etc, & the tech said he didn't detect anything although he admitted he didn't go into any detail checking. Now I'm not talking about the ticking noise that I see others talk about; this is simply a much louder engine than I'm accustomed to. My Ford Fusion before it & again, my wife's SUV seem very quiet. Since this vehicle has the turbo, was it designed more for the younger crowd to sound louder? I just want to make sure that what I am hearing is normal & not something I need to look further into. Anyone out there familiar with this particular model/engine?

#6 ·
Engine Louder Than Used To...

Is just the noise or is it more a noise vibration combination?
Mark[/QUOTE

No, it's just the noise, no vibration at all. And when I say noise, I mean the loudness of the engine. Something I would expect to hear in a car that had been modified with a different type muffler, etc. I'm just used to vehicles that are quiet as far as the engine goes. So I was wondering if the 1.6L turbo had a louder engine than you would hear on say any other suv like the explorer, etc. Seems like I had read somewhere where the wr5iter had said this particular engine was designed for the folks who liked to hear a sportier vehicle.

#7 ·
The only complaint with 1.6l that I've heard is vibration. Have you checked to see if the previous owner installed an aftermarket muffler or cat back system? You might go to your dealer and have them start a new 2015 1.6l escape and see if their is a difference.
Mark

#8 ·
The smaller the displacement the higher the revs and louder the noise level. Our Escapes are also a bit lighter in sound dampening. So it's just a part of the character of the car.

#10 ·
You maybe right about the 1.6l I don't have one so I can't say, but I haven't heard a lot of complaints on this board about it. I know my 2.0l is very quite, enough so that I'm planning on putting a cat back system so I can hear it a little.
Mark

#11 ·
every post I read about the 1.6 and its issues. I am so glad we bought the 2.0. BTW- our 2.0 is whisper quiet

#13 ·
my 13 se had the 1.6, when we started having the engine issues from coolant getting into the cylinders it did get louder. the exhaust had a stink like a burning cigar not what we normally have, it had a major loss of power
after the dealer finally found we had a porous cylinder head and installed the 2015 service engine everything went back to normal
I'd watch the coolant level close if it drops take it to a dealer right away

#19 ·
my 13 se had the 1.6, when we started having the engine issues from coolant getting into the cylinders it did get louder...
ocean48,

I’m glad to learn that the dealer resolved this concern. I’ll be here to lend a hand if you need me!

Sounds like the best explanation yet although I don't know if I would describe it as "buzzy". (It's not a deep-sounding bellow, but rather a somewhat higher pitch engine noise)...
Welcome to the community, hearrean! :)

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. I’ll be happy to look into this further. What’s the current mileage?

Tricia

#15 ·
Louder than expected engine

Although everyone here has tried to help, I must admit I am more confused now than ever. Seems as though some are saying the louder engine can be expected, yet others are saying theirs is whisper quiet. I don't know how there can be both cases with this one model. Maybe it's my description of the problem; when I say engine noise, I am not necessarily saying this is some kind of strange noise coming from under the hood. The noise I hear is what I would expect if I drove a vehicle that had a louder muffler on it or some after-market work done that was intended to create sound that a souped up engine would make. As I have said previously, I am used to driving a Ford Fusion, Ford Taurus or even my wife's new Kia Sportage. And those aren't necessarily road noise quiet, but their engines are all fairly quiet.
And lastly, let me also say that someone referred me to another thread where they were discussing experiences with a loaner. That thread also talked about noise levels considering different type & size of tires, etc. To clarify, I am not talking about road noise & different tire sizes would have nothing to do with what I am hearing. Those would, I understand affect the noise level from the road, but what I am hearing is the louder than normal engine level/noise. Hope this helps clarify.

Thanks,

#16 ·
Although everyone here has tried to help, I must admit I am more confused now than ever. Seems as though some are saying the louder engine can be expected, yet others are saying theirs is whisper quiet. I don't know how there can be both cases with this one model. Maybe it's my description of the problem; when I say engine noise, I am not necessarily saying this is some kind of strange noise coming from under the hood. The noise I hear is what I would expect if I drove a vehicle that had a louder muffler on it or some after-market work done that was intended to create sound that a souped up engine would make. As I have said previously, I am used to driving a Ford Fusion, Ford Taurus or even my wife's new Kia Sportage. And those aren't necessarily road noise quiet, but their engines are all fairly quiet.
And lastly, let me also say that someone referred me to another thread where they were discussing experiences with a loaner. That thread also talked about noise levels considering different type & size of tires, etc. To clarify, I am not talking about road noise & different tire sizes would have nothing to do with what I am hearing. Those would, I understand affect the noise level from the road, but what I am hearing is the louder than normal engine level/noise. Hope this helps clarify.

Thanks,

Yes that was me that linked another post.

As I have mentioned I have driven both the 1.6 and the 2.0 Escapes

The 1.6 is buzzy sounding during shifts. At a traffic light during engine idle for the 1.6 is fairly quiet. Getting on the highway during acceleration again the engine gets noisy. The 1.6 puts out 175 hp, so the engine does seem to work harder and maybe rev higher during acceleration.

The 2.0 is a much more refined quiet engine. An Escape with the 2.0 feels more like a luxury SUV with regards to acceleration and quiet smooth shifts.

The extra power does make a difference and the balance shaft keeps the engine smooth. The 2.0 is the premium engine out of the three engines offered in the Escape. The 2.0 does come with an extra cost though.

Fuel consumption between the 1.6 and 2.0 are almost the same. It basically comes down to price.

For people that say the 1.6 is quiet need to really drive an Escape with the 2.0 engine, I found the 2.0 to be the quietest of engines.

I actually find the 2.5 liter to be the loudest of the three engines though. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: atlcarl69
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.