2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2013 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0L
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to tackle the goofy drain-and-fill process for the differential. I've seen conflicting descriptions for the fill level. Some say to fill to 3mm below the level plug, some say 4mm or 5mm. Does anyone have access to the service manual to confirm the correct fill level?

(just so we're on the same page, I believe the level plug is the annoying rear-facing plug 1 inch in front of the rear crossmember)

thanks for any help

· Registered
2016 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 awd, cpe delta core from focus st
17 Posts
I got a harbor freight 3/8 adapter because I couldn’t use a belt tool or find a low profile ratchet. I used rhino ramps. I filled it till it drained out completely to the level. I used Lucas synthetic oil. Just want to share my experience. In the future I hope to drill and tap the diff so I don’t need to use an extractor.

Attachments

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a harbor freight 3/8 adapter because I couldn’t use a belt tool or find a low profile ratchet. I used rhino ramps. I filled it till it drained out completely to the level. I used Lucas synthetic oil. Just want to share my experience. In the future I hope to drill and tap the diff so I don’t need to use an extractor.
I have a belt tool already, and low-profile ratchet. I'm hoping one of those will work, otherwise I'll keep those adapters in mind.

thanks

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fill until it starts to drain, like every dif. If you can measure 3-5mm inside of a dif while you are pouring in the fluid, you are on some next level x-ray vision stuff. Don't overthink it. As long as the amount of fluid you put in replicates what the specs say, you are g2g.
That seems to be the way to go. I'll just fill until it trickles and call it good. I'll also measure what I take out, just to make sure I'm putting back a reasonable amount.

· Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,964 Posts
One of the recent videos posted on here showed the fill level check plug as being on the front end of the RDU. I'm not sure if it was the video above or the one in a different thread posted a couple of days ago.

· Registered
3,677 Posts
I usually fill it till it comes out. Then remove some to be below the hole. if you over fill it will come out the vent tube. If it’s really over filled it will come out of the shaft seals. Remember to make sure your vehicle is level when filling fluids.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts