2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2007 in early 2009 with 29K on the odometer. Loved the size, rear seats folding flat, great handling, had that " just fits us " that we enjoyed. For a while. Car was well taken care of 3.5K semi synthetic oil changes as well as protective maintenence. Had the trans oil changed at 50k.. At 83K the tranny went out.. total a 4k replacement ( 2/4 gear most likely as per the gauges and real world auto mechanic opinion ) Not wanting to buy another car I opted for the tranny, a lot cheaper than a newer car right ? At 105K trans oil was again changed.. then things like the struts went, those stupid tone rings, cheap to replace as long as you did the labor, front stabilizers and then the biggy.. Another trans went at 119K... After getting the news it was another failure that required another 4K trans, I bitched and moaned to myself " I'll never get another &*(&^% Ford product again "... Junked the car for $ 270 along with a new stereo, rear back up camera and other goodies I put on thinking I had another 5 or 6 years left.. Need I say it was the dreaded CD4E transmission ?
Fast forward to a few months ago while car shopping and taking a Buick Encore for test ride... Okay I guess but a little lacking iin size, it was at least quiet. Salesman says we have a 2013 Escape at our other lot, I can have it here in 15 minutes. I was still pissed but my wife loved the Escape and wanted to take this one for a ride. Turned out to be several rides and we ended up buying up.. Low mileage, FWD only ( OK since we have another all wheel drive vehicle ) car fax showed regular maintenence on it. Seller to me was the lifetime drive train warranty. Yes, the dealers not a fly by nighter, well established for years. Soooo... what's the consensus 2013 vs 2007 ? Step up, step down or more of a lateral move. So far a tick over 30mpg on trips and around 27 combination driving.. comfortable driving, decent stereo ( I do miss the rear back up camera ) I'm definitely older and not able to do nearly what I used to do.. I'm now relegated to filter changes, batteries and general cleanup. I just don't trust folks to do what they are supposed to do... especially fast service places.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Bought a 2007 in early 2009 with 29K on the odometer. Loved the size, rear seats folding flat, great handling, had that " just fits us " that we enjoyed. For a while. Car was well taken care of 3.5K semi synthetic oil changes as well as protective maintenence. Had the trans oil changed at 50k.. At 83K the tranny went out.. total a 4k replacement ( 2/4 gear most likely as per the gauges and real world auto mechanic opinion ) Not wanting to buy another car I opted for the tranny, a lot cheaper than a newer car right ? At 105K trans oil was again changed.. then things like the struts went, those stupid tone rings, cheap to replace as long as you did the labor, front stabilizers and then the biggy.. Another trans went at 119K... After getting the news it was another failure that required another 4K trans, I bitched and moaned to myself " I'll never get another &*(&^% Ford product again "... Junked the car for $ 270 along with a new stereo, rear back up camera and other goodies I put on thinking I had another 5 or 6 years left.. Need I say it was the dreaded CD4E transmission ?
Fast forward to a few months ago while car shopping and taking a Buick Encore for test ride... Okay I guess but a little lacking iin size, it was at least quiet. Salesman says we have a 2013 Escape at our other lot, I can have it here in 15 minutes. I was still pissed but my wife loved the Escape and wanted to take this one for a ride. Turned out to be several rides and we ended up buying up.. Low mileage, FWD only ( OK since we have another all wheel drive vehicle ) car fax showed regular maintenence on it. Seller to me was the lifetime drive train warranty. Yes, the dealers not a fly by nighter, well established for years. Soooo... what's the consensus 2013 vs 2007 ? Step up, step down or more of a lateral move. So far a tick over 30mpg on trips and around 27 combination driving.. comfortable driving, decent stereo ( I do miss the rear back up camera ) I'm definitely older and not able to do nearly what I used to do.. I'm now relegated to filter changes, batteries and general cleanup. I just don't trust folks to do what they are supposed to do... especially fast service places.
If you haven't already run across it, check out this thread on dislikes:
As for the earlier generation Escape, I've only know 1 friend who had a first generation Escape, and she loved it and never had problems with it. She traded for a smaller car. Since this forum is for 3rd and soon 4th gen Escapes, there may not be many folks with experience with the older generations.

·
Registered
387 Posts
We had a 2006 V6 Escape which we bought new and handed down to our daughter in 2013 when she got her drivers license and my wife bought a new car. She drove it until last year when she bought her 2017 Escape. One of her friends has a 2014 Escape. We didn't have any trans problems on the 06. The only major problems we had during our 150K and 14 years of ownership (bought it new in 2005) was the timing cover leak and toasted PCM (coil drivers). The PCM repair was the most expensive, about $600 (remaned PCM, new coils and plugs). The timing cover leak was only $100 in parts but took some time to repair, It wasn't difficult, just time consuming.

The rest of the 'problems" were just regular wear-and-tear issues like brakes, suspension, one rack-and-pinion, a water pump, hoses and a/c compressor. I did all of the maintenance and repairs on it.

Anyways, the newer Escapes have better power delivery from the 6 speed transmission. What I liked from the 06 with the cd4e was that the throttle was very connected vs the newer Escapes with fly-by-wire (electronic) throttles that lag a bit to downshift when you hit the gas. An aftermarket tune may fix that. What I didn't like on the 06 was that once it shifted into 2nd gear and up, it was a dog for acceleration. Up to 40 great, above that, boo!

The MPG on the new Escapes is far superior to the 06/07. That is again largely due to the difference in transmission, 6spd vs 4spd.

The 2013-2016 escapes are smaller in the hatch area than the 06/07. 2017/2018 are larger in the rear and have reclining rear seats. The basic radio in the 2013-2018 with some minor upgrades and no subwoofer are better sounding than the 06/07 premium sound with sub (what we had).

Issues on 2013 Escapes to be aware of:
  • Drivers side of the transmission where the half-shaft goes in to the trans can leak. This is due to a bad bushing being installed from the factory. Easily replaced and resolved.
  • Some had shifting issues which is remedied by a sofware update from Ford. 1.5L/1.6L(?) Ecoboost motors had head gasket/coolant issues.That is a major issue that required a head replacement and in some cases a whole motor replacement.
Others can chime in about other known issues or concerns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts