2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 SE AWD 2.0T
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if any other owners have had a lower Right steering control Handsfree (Home, Info, Sync, Answer, Hangup) switch pack fail?

Bought the car about a month ago, hasn’t worked since day 1 (obviously wasn’t a dealbreaker)
Throws a DTC ‘Ground Fault’ B11BA:1C

While I had the car at Ford for some other work I asked them to put an hour into diagnosis on it and even they are stumped (it’s been escalated to Ford Engineering, yet to hear back)
They pulled the same DTC as I did and tested all the pinouts. They seem to think the switchpack is fine but potentially a BCM issue.
No other apparent faults with the BCM or AIPM units.. just a Handsfree switchpack that won’t work. All other steering controls work- Cruise, IPC control, volume and track controls. (actually, the M button, which I believe is Mute or Mode?… need to check the manual, doesn’t work either but I can actually let that slide)

I’d really like to have the Handsfree pack working so I can actually use Sync Voice as well as the other phone/AIPM control.

Bit of a bizarre one (considering Ford themselves are stumped) but anyone happen to have experienced similar?

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,835 Posts
They do fail, has Ford tried changing it out?
Have they looked at the clock spring?

·
Registered
2013 SE AWD 2.0T
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve got half a page of diagnostics. Switchpack tests fine, as does the clock spring.
Local Ford have done everything by the book to test both assemblies which is why it’s been escalated to HQ

·
Registered
2013 SE AWD 2.0T
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even though the dealership ran all of the standard tests for the switch and clockspring, Ford HQ/Engineering came back with further suspicion on the clockspring and another set of tests that they want to run to rule it out.
Booked in for next Friday to get it looked at again

·
Registered
2013 SE AWD 2.0T
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In what appears to be a never ending saga:

Ford HQ/Engineering dug into the schematics and don’t suspect the Clockspring so this wasn’t replaced.
Interestingly they’ve said the Volume/skip switchpack is interconnected- so they changed that out to no resolution (which worked perfectly to begin with)
The dealer has said every time they plug in my good volume/skip pack, the ‘other side’ stops working (over the phone they didn’t really explain what they meant by ‘other side’, but they said it fails a pin out test… guessing it’s the Cruise pack but they )
I’ve reiterated that everything else, except the Handsfree pack worked fine (cruise, IPC controls and audio) prior to.

they’ve got another 2013 on their lot so they are going to strip that and switch components one by one until they find the issue.
I still think it’s probably an internal ground fault in the Handsfree switchpack.

again, I’ll keep others updated incase anyone else seems to have this issue

·
Registered
2013 SE AWD 2.0T
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I gave up pursuing this through Ford.
The dealer and Engineering spent more than 5 hours troubleshooting to no success so I pulled the pin.

Engineering wanted the dealer to follow an insanely complex diagnostic procedure, testing and replacing components one by one until they found it.
I don’t have the money, nor patience for it.

Engineering basically ignored mine (and the dealers common sense) to start at the switch and work backwards from there (switch being the cheapest possible component, followed by clock spring etc)
Engineering wanted them to start with the BCM and go along the circuit that way. Mental!
No switches available locally in Canada so I took the car home, ordered a new switch from the states myself and I’ll continue diagnostics, starting with a resistance test comparing old to new.

I also checked my AIPM settings with ForScan. Interestingly my Sync (which was replaced before my ownership) was configured as a Gen1 sync (it is Gen2) yet again, everything worked fine. Reconfigured as needed with logic applied to what settings it should have to no avail. (Nothing see was harmed or disabled in this process, and I did save my old settings incase)

·
Registered
2013 SE AWD 2.0T
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally have a resolution to this, and I can’t believe it was something so simple…

after Ford told me there were no local RH Lower switches available in Canada, I went ahead and ordered one from the States.
It arrived, bench tested the resistance of each switch and confirmed compliance with specs.

Switched out the switch to no success, then bench tested the old one for the sake of it. Bench tested all within spec.

Random thought came into mind. It does have a replacement AIPM kits before I took ownership.
(Which Ford did take note of when they first started testing as it has a sticker from the Wrecker on it)
knowing this isn’t exactly a straight swap, I pulled my factory AsBuilt data direct from Ford/Motorcraft and compared it to the AsBuilt loaded on my unit, sure enough there were some variations!
Edited all the AB data back to as-delivered spec and sure enough the switchpack works again!
I did lose Nav and my Rear Camera (neither were factory fitted) in the process but all I had to do was re-enable these through ForScan BCM/AIPM and bam!

So when the AIPM was replaced, they simply grabbed a Sync 2 unit with similar specs (+factory enabled rear cam) but never loaded the original AsBuilts and used it PlugNPlay.
Still not exactly sure which line/function was different that would have stopped the switch from working, as I’d tried all of the switch related options in CommonConfig to no success..

Feel incredibly happy to have fixed this finally and even moreso having outsmarted 5hours of Ford Engineering.
Funnily enough I have the car booked in for first thing in the morning for them to try diagnose it again- this time they wanted to use a known working donor steering wheel assembly and swap it out to test.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts