2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all,

I have a 2013 Ford Escape SEL AWD wit the 2.0L engine. A couple of days ago it would not start, acting as if the battery was toast. It still had the Orignal Motorcraft battery, so I assumed that it had run it's course and I purchased and installed a new one. After that it still would not start. Doing some research, I found that it is recomended that the battery monitoring system be reset. When I went to turn on the ignition again, it started to come up with a variety of errors. First the Engine Fault message, then the BLiS left and right, hill assist and cross traffic detector sensor. I thought this was really odd so I found an ELMS 327 OBD2 scanner, download Forscan and tried to connect. It sees the scanner, but it will not conect to the car. I get a message that read "Please check the connection and make sure the ignition is on" error. I have reinstall drivers and tried 3 different scanners (2 USB adaptors and 1 Bluetooth adapter). At this point I'm just not sure how to even look up the code or reset the BMS in case that is causing an issue. Any assistance or direction would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sounds like the PCM isn’t getting power. Is it a key or push button ignition? What exactly happens when you try to start it, if anything? Any clicks or does the starter run?

Sounds like you need to look into whether any PCM fused are blown and make sure the relay is working. Seems likely that you have some kind of wiring issue. Are there any signs of chewed wires under the hood, or has the vehicle been driven in deep water lately?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,620 Posts
Have you got a multimeter? I'd suggest checking for voltage in the engine bay junction/ fuse box, then the BCM/ fuse box under the glove box. Also check for bad earth connections between the battery negative and the body/ chassis (the main earth connection being on the suspension strut tower in the engine bay) and check fuses while you're in those areas.

PS: Were both battery terminal clamps clean and not corroded?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
As far as ForScan, you need to check your Device Manager first. In my first picture you can see my USB OBD2 uses COM6 under PORTS. Make sure there is no yellow triangle there with an exclamation point. That means your driver is incorrect.

My next picture shows the communication settings in ForScan for my device. Notice that in the com settings I have COM6 selected. That matches what the Device Manager on my laptop designated that port.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Have you check the “Battery management system" cable? As @waverunner10 often suggest check or replace that cable when crazy thing is going on with the electrical system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your suggestions and help! So far I'm striking out. I checked for blown fuses, but didn't find any. I also looked for an wires that may have been damaged, but again, I'm not seeing anything. This is a push to start system. When I push in the brake and push the button, nothing really happens. I don't hear the starter and then that's when I get the error messages pop up. Right now I have the negative terminal connector off and a wire connecting it to the positive post to see if I can discharge the system and clear the error. I'm not sure if this will reset some of the other systems like the BMS or not, but it's worth a shot at this point. Right now I'm wondering if I have a bad sensor somewhere or if the PCM/ECU itself it bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any final resolution to this? Mine just did the same exact thing yesterday and no one else seems to have the same symptoms

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would recomend the total reset as he mentioned in his very last post. That would be my first go to fix for " confusion". When the battery gets low it can really confuse the onboard electronics!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did every combination imaginable. Waiting for the tow truck to it towed to the dealership as I type this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts