2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Ford Escape that has recently started having problems. My ABS light is on, when I first start to take off my car will stop moving but still stays running. My traction control light will blink while this is happening. Then after a few seconds I can go again. It may do this a couple more times until I pick up speed. After this my hill start will be unavailable and/or my 4x4 will disable. But later down the road my 4x4 will enable again. All this will happen randomly throughout my drive. Sometimes when I come to a stop i can feel my brake peddle grinding. My dad has taken a multi meter to my ABS sensors but all seem to be working. I’ve heard tone ring but can’t find anything with a 2013 having them. Anybody else have this problem and know maybe what it could be. Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Are the ABS sensors the speed sensors? I’d probably get a professional with scan tool to take a look it sounds like the ABS module lost contact with them, or intermittently loses contact or gets a bad signal and thinks the car is slipping. They should be able to take it for a drive and see which ones it is

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,343 Posts
Look into (search for info) on ForScan. That would be the best program to scan for fault codes as it will read Ford specific codes and the program itself is free.

Reactions: Tall Timbers

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2013 Ford Escape that has recently started having problems. My ABS light is on, when I first start to take off my car will stop moving but still stays running. My traction control light will blink while this is happening. Then after a few seconds I can go again. It may do this a couple more times until I pick up speed. After this my hill start will be unavailable and/or my 4x4 will disable. But later down the road my 4x4 will enable again. All this will happen randomly throughout my drive. Sometimes when I come to a stop i can feel my brake peddle grinding. My dad has taken a multi meter to my ABS sensors but all seem to be working. I’ve heard tone ring but can’t find anything with a 2013 having them. Anybody else have this problem and know maybe what it could be. Thanks!
Did you ever get this fixed? And what was replaced to fix this problem...

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,714 Posts
Any moderator can reply please, and don’t suggest I get Forscan either..
Curious on why you want a moderator to reply? @murcod gave you a suggestion above about a DIY way to read any trouble codes. It is your choice if you don’t want to do this. Then take it to somewhere to get the codes read on your Escape. Have you read through the other posts in this thread? Have you searched the forum for the other threads on this issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also having the same issue with my 2014 escape (with over 17,000 miles on it) that just started last week. It was hooked up to a reader and no codes popped up at all. Did anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
164 Posts
I am also having the same issue with my 2014 escape (with over 17,000 miles on it) that just started last week. It was hooked up to a reader and no codes popped up at all. Did anyone else have this issue?
Did the code scanner list that it can read ABS codes? A lot of cheaper scanners don't do that. The one at my local AutoZone cannot but I have one that does SRS and ABS

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,343 Posts
Ford use a non standard OBD2 protocol for some of their vehicle systems. The best "tool" an amateur can get their hands on is ForScan and a Ford Medium Speed CAN Bus compatible OBD2 interface.

(The second time I've mentioned it in this thread!?)

·
Registered
2013 Ford Escape SE, 4WD, 2.0L, 19" Wheels, Eco Boost
7 Posts
Hi, I am new to this forum, so hello to you all. :) I hope someone can shed some light on these issues because it seems that a lot of us Escape owners are having the same issue! I have been dealing with these exact issues for more than a year on my 2013 Ford Escape SE 4wd! Now my brake warning light is illuminated and another new warning message stating "4 wheel drive is off" has come up, on top of traction control temporarily disabled and one other warning message regarding the 4 wd temporarily unavailable, along with ABS and Traction Control cluster panel warning lights illuminated. The only error code is s C003A, which is for the right rear abs sensor, well, we have now replaced that sensor 4 times over the past 1+ years. The first two we tried were aftermarket sensors and the last two were OEM ford sensors (yes, we replaced the exact sensor p/n from original sensor for the replacement sensors), no other codes. We have checked all the wiring from sensor to ABS Control Module, we have cleaned the ABS sensors, we have checked the connection points. My brother used to be a Ford mechanic and then opened his own mechanic shop, When he hooks the ABS sensors up to his diagnostic computer thing and the Escape is not moving the right rear sensor reading states the escape is going something like 30mph the other 3 ABS sensors show that the Escape is not moving. Every time we have replaced the right rear sensor, the lights and messages on dash would go off anywhere from a couple of days to this last sensor replacement, for a couple of minutes then all light and warning messages come back. It has been an endless cycle that I would really really like to see the light at the end of the tunnel on. My brother put my escape all back together because I need it for tomorrow, (he has had it since last Thursday) and when I went and picked it up and tried to drive off, now it has very little power, like I can only go like 10mph and it feels like the emergency brake is engaged and I am trying to drive it that way. Let me be clear, the emergency brake is NOT engaged, it just feels like it is and this is new, as I have been able to continue to drive my Escape with zero problems, other than the warning lights on dash and warning messages on cluster screen being one, for over a year. Anyway, I had to turn it around and bring it back, but hey, I only made it maybe 100 feet anyway. Now my brother says it HAS to be the ABS Control Module, look that part up, $1,200 for the part alone! I have been researching and other than the ABS warning light being on, my Escape has no other symptoms for a failing ABS Control Module and I am not forking out $1,200 for a part that my Escape not only has no symptoms for this part failing but also has zero codes showing the ABS Control Module needs replaced. I am not spending that kind of money on a part "just to rule it out" or for my brother or any other technician not knowing what else it could be so lets replace it and see, kind of thing. I need help! I purchased my 2013 Escape brand new in 2012, purchased the Gold or top extended warranty package that was good/active through the end of the loan term, well, it's been paid off now for several years, so the extended warranty, the sales guy insisted I needed, is out of warranty. Guess how many times I actually used that extended warranty I paid high dollar for........ZERO times!! Sorry, I am so frustrated right now and it makes me more frustrated to read just how many others are having the same problem I have been dealing with, for what feels like forever! Also, my Escape just turned over 52K miles, it's barely broken in! Let me just also add that my brother checked my battery, that was replaced just a few years ago, and it came back as needing replaced again. My brother has not installed the new battery yet because he had already put everything back together when he ordered the 4th right rear sensor because that was the only code. So he was just going to wait to install the new battery when he has to take every thing back out to replace the ABS Control Module, but that isn't going to happen, lol, unless he shows me concrete evidence it is actually bad. Anyone out there who can possibly help, please, please, please and thank you?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't suppose you have had a wheel bearing fitted on the car have you. The ABS sensor works from a magnetic ring on the wheel bearing. I would check that first before I went for a module and before parting with that sort of money, I would be looking at a module from a breakers to try first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't suppose you have had a wheel bearing fitted on the car have you. The ABS sensor works from a magnetic ring on the wheel bearing. I would check that first before I went for a module and before parting with that sort of money, I would be looking at a module from a breakers to try first.
Hi, yes, I had my brother check to make sure the bearings were not installed backwards. I am getting ready to post an Update on the fix for my Escape below. Thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
UPDATE FIX: After reading as many of the threads pertaining to ABS, Traction Control, Hill Assist &/or 4WD warning lights & messages I could find and jotting down as many of the posters suggestions to check &/or posters "fix" for this problem for their Escape I text the list to my brother and asked him to check them all on my Escape. One of the 6-7 items to check was that the wheel bearings was not installed backwards. My wheel bearing was not installed backwards BUT it prompted my brother to check the AXLE NUT, guess what, it was loose!!! He tightened the axle nut, reset or reprogrammed (something along those lines) the newest of the 4 speed sensors (that he had told me had shorted out within minutes of installing it) and the sensor was still actually good, so it wasn't shorted out after all and BOOM, every single warning light and message was cleared! He cleared the error code C003A (right wheel speed sensor) and took it for a drive. All the warning lights, messages and error code stayed cleared (off). I picked my Escape up last night and drove it home, I live about 20 miles from him and it ran like a charm and zero warning lights or messages came back on. If you are having this issue and can't find a solution check the axle nut. Here is the list I accumulated of things to check from posters pertaining to this issue, check the battery, battery cables connection to battery, wiring harness of speed sensor that it has no shorts and it has a good connection with the speed sensor and ABS Control Module, also check the little pins in the end connectors of wire harness, check that the replacement speed sensor is the exact part number to the speed sensor it is replacing (my understanding is there are different speed sensor for Escapes that have park assist to those that do not. Check to ensure the wheel bearing was not installed backwards, if the wheel bearings were recently changed and of course check to ensure that the axle nut is tight. Good luck! I hope my update fix post is able to help some of you/someone!

·
Registered
7 Posts
What's the axle nut torque procedure??
I am sorry, but I do not have a clue. My brother is a mechanic and I paid him to find and fix this problem. I am sure you can find what you are looking for possibly in this forum, a google search or on you tube though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
What's the axle nut torque procedure??
I just had a look in the manual for the torque setting and it's blank and just says "check procedure". When I scroll down it doesn't really say much and the torque setting it shows seems quite low. I will have another read later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts