2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Ford Escape Titanium went crazy last night out of no where! Yesterday when I was leaving work I started my car and an alert popped up on the dash "4WD off" I though that was strange because it had never done that to me before. So I tried to look into the settings on the dash to see if maybe I had accidentally done something, but I couldn't find anything. The car started then I drove home fine. Then last night we go to get in the car and again the "4WD off" message appeared and I noticed that this time the car kind of hesitated to start a little and something just didn't feel right, but we drove it a short distance then came back home without any issues. A little later we went to start it and this time the car went insane! It would not turn over, ALL of the lights inside and outside the car were flashing (no alarm went off), a bunch off notifications and faults were popping up on the dash at the same time, the chime notification noise just kept going off, and the touch screen just kept flashing. We shut the driver side door (all other doors were shut) and everything just kept going. Eventually we tried to get in and start it again and nothing would cut on and our key fob wouldn't even lock or unlock the door. My father in law came and connected jumper cables on to our car from his truck to see what it would do, and it allowed us to lock/unlock the car and the lights came on as it normally would when unlocking the car. Then we went ahead and jumped it and the car cut right on fine and reset. We are hoping it is not electrical and that we just need a new battery because it has never been replaced, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem? And if so, what was wrong?

·
Registered
76 Posts
With newer cars, when I see unexplained electrical glitches 9 times out of 10 it's a bad battery.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Concur. How old is battery? Was BMS properly reset if replaced?

·
Registered
188 Posts
My 2013 Ford Escape Titanium went crazy last night out of no where! Then we went ahead and jumped it and the car cut right on fine and reset. We are hoping it is not electrical and that we just need a new battery because it has never been replaced, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem? And if so, what was wrong?
2013 "Battery has Never Been Replaced".......

I'm 54, as long as I can go back I have replaced the battery on all my vehicles after 4 years. Pushed close to 5 years a few times, but never over.
Any used vehicle I ever purchased, 1st thing ...... New battery. Never know how old the one is in the car.

If a battery is dead, and you have to jump start it, and it dint go dead because you left the lights on or something to cause it to go dead, it's time for a new battery. If you leave the car over night, it needs a "jump", it might run fine for a few days or weeks, but trust me, it will go dead again.

My cousin not long ago called me. At a store and needed a jump. Went there with the jumper box and started right up. He couldn't figure it out. "I just ran in the store for a minute", "must be the alternator". How old is the battery ...... 6 years old. Told him he is over due for a new one. Nope, 2 weeks later, get a call, wont start again. Finally listened and got a new battery. No problems since then.

My Escape now, 4 years it will be replaced no matter what. All the electronics on the cars now, it's not like before if a battery is a little weak it will start like the old vehicles. These things need full voltage and amperage on a battery.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
2013 "Battery has Never Been Replaced".......

I'm 54, as long as I can go back I have replaced the battery on all my vehicles after 4 years. Pushed close to 5 years a few times, but never over.
Any used vehicle I ever purchased, 1st thing ...... New battery. Never know how old the one is in the car.

If a battery is dead, and you have to jump start it, and it dint go dead because you left the lights on or something to cause it to go dead, it's time for a new battery. If you leave the car over night, it needs a "jump", it might run fine for a few days or weeks, but trust me, it will go dead again.

My cousin not long ago called me. At a store and needed a jump. Went there with the jumper box and started right up. He couldn't figure it out. "I just ran in the store for a minute", "must be the alternator". How old is the battery ...... 6 years old. Told him he is over due for a new one. Nope, 2 weeks later, get a call, wont start again. Finally listened and got a new battery. No problems since then.

My Escape now, 4 years it will be replaced no matter what. All the electronics on the cars now, it's not like before if a battery is a little weak it will start like the old vehicles. These things need full voltage and amperage on a battery.
You will find out that battery and charging technology has left us "older" guys behind. My recomendation is have Ford dealer do the replacement and make sure they know that the BMS must be reset. When I replaced battery on my old 2013 Escape, they did not.

If you do not reset the BMS properly or tell the computer what you just put in, the computer will do the charging as if the battery is old.

Alternative, you can search threads on this board with all these detail. This has been a much discussed item.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: We went to the local Ford dealer and bought a battery. My husband replaced it last night and the car seems to run fine so far. How do we reset the BMS?

·
Super Moderator
5,698 Posts
Update: We went to the local Ford dealer and bought a battery. My husband replaced it last night and the car seems to run fine so far. How do we reset the BMS?

Search the forum. This has been answered quite a few times. As mentioned in post #5 if this thread. Should be really easy to find.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
You basically have two choices at this point:

1. Go back to Ford and have them do the BMS reset. Now it may cost you extra money.
2. Read posts and you will discover that through speciality programs and hardware you can connect to the car through the OBD II port, find the right code line, and make the change yourself.

IMHO the easier choice on you would have been to have the dealer do the reset as originally recommended.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2013 Ford Escape Titanium went crazy last night out of no where! Yesterday when I was leaving work I started my car and an alert popped up on the dash "4WD off" I though that was strange because it had never done that to me before. So I tried to look into the settings on the dash to see if maybe I had accidentally done something, but I couldn't find anything. The car started then I drove home fine. Then last night we go to get in the car and again the "4WD off" message appeared and I noticed that this time the car kind of hesitated to start a little and something just didn't feel right, but we drove it a short distance then came back home without any issues. A little later we went to start it and this time the car went insane! It would not turn over, ALL of the lights inside and outside the car were flashing (no alarm went off), a bunch off notifications and faults were popping up on the dash at the same time, the chime notification noise just kept going off, and the touch screen just kept flashing. We shut the driver side door (all other doors were shut) and everything just kept going. Eventually we tried to get in and start it again and nothing would cut on and our key fob wouldn't even lock or unlock the door. My father in law came and connected jumper cables on to our car from his truck to see what it would do, and it allowed us to lock/unlock the car and the lights came on as it normally would when unlocking the car. Then we went ahead and jumped it and the car cut right on fine and reset. We are hoping it is not electrical and that we just need a new battery because it has never been replaced, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem? And if so, what was wrong?
I’m having the same issues, replaced the battery, but it has happened 4 times after the battery was replaced

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m having the same issue, and I had the battery replaced, and it has happened 4 times since the battery has been replaced. My key pad on the door also flashes. What’s going on?????

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I’m having the same issue, and I had the battery replaced, and it has happened 4 times since the battery has been replaced. My key pad on the door also flashes. What’s going on?????
Did you read posts both here and after searching on battery? Also, helpful to know year, trim, mileage, battery replaced, and if so was BMS reset. Based on what you provided, this is a battery and/or cable corrosion issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts