2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
Bought a used EcoBoost in July. Currently has 44k on it. Last month engine light came on, car shakes at idle. Took in and has been back in 3 times since with mechanics now stumped. Replaced pcv 1st time. Egr 2nd time and low sensor 3rd. Running very rough while driving and engine light will flash. Code being thrown is stuff they've already fixed. They took to ford dealership today and we await diagnostic news from them. Has this happened to anyone where they CAN'T fix it??
Can you tell us about the qualifications of the shop you took it to before they sent it to dealer?

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
I got an extended warranty when I purchased and this was one of the shops. They've been in business for over 60 years with great reviews. I've only had to pay for the first visit and everything else has been on their dime, including the ford diagnosis.
Let us know what the dealer says.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
Not sure they follow this page anymore. Moderators will know for sure. Been a long time since I have seen any official Ford participation. My read is they were not too much help unlike some unofficial Ford members.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
So update.... after a $150 diagnostic Ford has NO IDEA what is going on with my car. Wants to do another $500 diagnostic taking engine apart to determine if powertrain. Called the warranty company who said they've never heard of a $500 diagnostic and yet I have been quoted this TWICE NOW by Ford. My car is unsafe and unfixed.

Do y'all think I should contact Ford Corporation directly? Can a used vehicle be eligible for their buyback program? I bought it last July and it just now has 44k on it.

Any advice is appreciated.
Assuming all factors are as presented, I would ask dealer 1) to confirm your findings of cars visible malfunctions and 2) have them contact Ford Technical for advice on how to proceed. This is often done in the infotainment area. I assume same would apply to other areas. Then have dealer share with you Ford’s engineers suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
I picked the car up today. Engine light still on and running as rough as went it went in. Have been in contact with Ford Corp. Waiting now.
What did dealer say? Did they call Ford technical?

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
They had the same conclusion as the garage I took it to. 🤷‍♀️
Ford tech has been involved since the 2nd visit
OK. So to summarize what you have told use to date:
1. Used car and 44K miles. What engine? EB is not sufficient. What is displacement? What is year model?
2. Went to no Ford service and they could not fix.
3. Went to dealer on a couple of occasions and they could not fix.
4. Dealer got Ford Technical involved at somw point and they have no idea.
5. You say codes are thrown. What are they?
6. When you bought new was the car doing this? Has it ever been in an accident?
7. What kind of warranty came with purchase or did you buy "As Is"?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Depending on who your warranty company is and who your dealer is, you can do a lot of fighting and get some backup in the process. In my case, I had an issue with my cruise control not working. The warranty company said it wasn't covered under the plan I bought (it was supposed to be, a paperwork snafu had me in a lower warranty). The warranty company was massively unhelpful. I went to the dealer I bought my Escape from and told them what was going on. The manager there looked over my paperwork, said "this is unacceptable", and proceeded to hound the warranty company with clout I couldn't muster on my own. It was corrected. My problem was fixed. My warranty is now as promised, with the manager at the dealer keeping a copy of the contract, plus another for my records should any misunderstandings occur.

So if you have a good dealer, and they sold you the warranty, tell them of your woes. See if they'll side with you in working with the warranty company, and you might have the $500 covered. Worth a try at this point. If a no-go on covering that, try to find a way to have either Ford or the dealer (depending on that whole warranty thing and how nice they are) buy it back, and get something else. No promise this would happen, but it's the best outcome if repair isn't going to happen, and another thing that is totally worth a try in a bad situation. 44k is really low miles. Citing ralph7up, dying to know what engine you have.

·
Super Moderator
5,790 Posts
That is the only response you have with all of the questions asked? There are a couple members here that are trying to help you, but you are not making it easy for them to do so. Not sure why you are being so guarded with the answers you are giving. @ralph7up asked you a series of questions above that you have ignored.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts