2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just replaced my second sensor in three months and not seeing anything online relating to this series Escape I'm putting this out to help others.

First, the symptoms start with ABS light coming on, A Hill Assist Not Available message, and possibly the inability to drive over 5 mph. I've found that going to Settings and Driver Assist and turning off Traction Control will make the car driveable again. You will have to do this every time you start the car until the sensor is replaced.

A code scanner and Forscan will show the DTC codes for sensor error for under the ABS section,. If this is your problem then you need this part: (The old one shown)

In May 2019 the price was $18.75 at the local dealer. In August 2019 the price almost doubled to over $35. Hopefully it won't keep doubling every 3 months. :)

Replacement is simple and straightforward. First, break the lug nuts free. Then jack up the car and remove the rear wheel. What seems to work best for me is a floor jack if you have one. I place it directly under the wheel spring seat . For safety I place a jack stand under the side jack point. I have a hockey puck that I've cut a slot in that supports the car without bending the seam.

With the wheel off, just look down at the top of the axle housing and you will see the sensor held in by a Torx screw with the cable coming out the top.

The sensors are usually stuck in place by some rust so I've had luck squirting a little penetrating oil at the base so it can seep between the sensor and the housing. While that is working, remove the screw with a T-25 Torx bit. There is thread lock on the screw so you may need more than a Torx screwdriver to remove it. I've used a T-25 1/4" hex bit in a 1/4" socket wrench to remove the screw.

The cable connector is removed by pressing the top of the catch towards the connector body and cable and it pulling up and off. The blue arrow shows the catch release and the direction to press..

Hopefully the penetrating oil will have worked well and a little pulling straight up while rocking back and forth will get the sensor out of the axle housing.

With the sensor removed, I usually clean out the hole with a small wire brush. Clean up any excess oil so that it doesn't get on the brake disk or pads.
Now just put the new sensor in the hole and screw in the Torx screw to hold it.

Once installed, just plug the cable connector back in and replace the wheel.

I have a OBD reader so I reset the DTC code and all is good to go. I think that the code will clear itself after a while if you can't reset it. The ABS light may stay on for a few cycles but there should not be any Traction Control, AWD, or Hill Assist messages with a working sensor.

Good luck with this easy repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
DUDE!! This helped so much, seems fairly straightforward. You have no idea how much this has helped me. I've been searching for about a week now on how to change that sensor instead of overpaying someone else to do it. Thanks again for this sir, i truly appreciate it!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad you found it useful. Hope the repair went smoothly.

I benefit from what other post so I try to share what I've learned. Life is a team sport and we all try to help out where we can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well it was going to but the torx screw got stripped and I cant fix that myself. Had to put tire back on and wait for Tuesday to get it to the shop to get them to get the dang screw out. Sucks ill be paying for them to literally only get the screw out bc I can do everything else.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Have you tried letting penetrating oil like PB Blaster soak into the screw threads overnight and using an EZ Out or SpeedOut screw/bolt remover? .

Home Depot has Ryobi Spiral Screw Extractors and Ontel Speed Out Sets. $10-$15 and worth having around the garage.

Worth a try. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, my 2014 Ford Escape Titanium AWD 2.0 with hill assist is going through all the symptoms. First the ABS Light, then the traction control light. That went back and forth for about a week. Now getting the hill assist not available. Yesterday, it rained (not sure if that had something to do with it), but it came up with 4WD temporarily disabled. Then the limiting of powered happened. Could barely go 5mph. As fast as that all happened, it all went away. The car then drove fine for a mile or 2 and then all hell broke loose again. Then it cleared up again. My brother ran a code scanner on it. Its saying Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Fault. Today I went out to see if I could physically see anything. ABS wheel sensor looked fine, harness good with no moisture. Cables all good. I went to remove the sensor to inspect that and the damn bolt snapped off! Half including the head came off and the other half still in the frame/knuckle! UGH! The sensor is currently still holding in place and the car is driving fine right now. I ordered a new sensor anyway. Should be in tomorrow. ANYBODY KNOW WHAT SIZE BOLT IT IS THAT HOLDS THE SENSOR IN PLACE AND HAVE ANY TIPS ON GETTING THE REMAINDER OUT? Drill it out carefully? It's not very big, but I would hate to mess up the threads in the knuckle. Or are the threads inside of a metal sleeve and that's in the frame/knuckle? It's really hard to tell. Thanks for any help. Something so easy and simple always becomes a job and a half with me I swear!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m not near my Escape at the moment but I think that is an M6 bolt and it is just threaded into the knuckle.

There is no real stress force on that bolt so almost any size hole you can drill and tap there will work to hold the sensor in place. As a last resort you could even RTV it in place if you clean the surrounding surface.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,673 Posts
ANYBODY KNOW WHAT SIZE BOLT IT IS THAT HOLDS THE SENSOR IN PLACE AND HAVE ANY TIPS ON GETTING THE REMAINDER OUT? Drill it out carefully? It's not very big, but I would hate to mess up the threads in the knuckle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts