2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought this used a couple of months ago with 94K miles on it. When increasing speed to merge to 70 or similar mph, trying to floor it, the speed increases with a shutter. I get up to 60, floor it, it shutters then quickly gives me 65. Foot still flooring it, shutters briefly then gives me speed, when it feels like it.
When I ease up, it will accelerate normally, but gradually. Is there a trick to this? I don't always try to floor it, just only when I need to merge in a safe way.

My expectations are pretty high since driving a 2009 Toyota Matrix S (2.4L 4-cyl). The acceleration with the Matrix surprises some people. Apples and Oranges, I know, but the Ford is really sluggish sometimes. Any thoughts please?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Like many turbos there can a bit of turbo lag when floored a certain speeds.
However it may be worthwhile checking to see if the spark plugs have been replaced at some stage and proper regular servicing done if you have a service record.

·
Registered
351 Posts
A worn fuel pump and/or dirty fuel filter can cause hesitation or shuddering under load as well.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,616 Posts
Check it for any logged fault codes with ForScan.

Reactions: ptjones

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you WIZ043, Chrisgb, Murcod & ajef7883. All good ideas and questions. The transmission seems to be shifting down, but when it does that, there is a hiatus before continuing if needed. It kind of shutters then complies, repeat. I will try to get codes and I surely hope that it isn't something to do with the fuel filter or pump; major headache. More to follow....

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,616 Posts
Perhaps try and get a video, it might make it easier to understand what's happening? You can log various parameters using ForScan eg. accelerator pedal and throttle butterfly. Don't expect to get instant response though as the throttle butterfly is also used to control the boost level. Oxygen sensors can get "sluggish" as they age and give surging, they don't last forever. There's also a turbo boost control solenoid that people have reported as a common failure and it can give similar problems IIRC.

Reactions: ajef7885

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the turbo waist gate and controller, had similar problem with 2013 2L ECOBoost Explorer at 90k miles.

Paul

·
Registered
102 Posts
Maybe also check the ignition coils. My old car did exactly this, feather the throttle and it was fine, mash it and it bogged down and acted like it didn’t know what to do. It didn’t end up throwing any codes but the dealer was able to diagnose it. Changing them and the spark plugs while you’re in there could solve it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ours is a 2015 with the 2.0L Ecoboost engine. From our experience, we can suggest this is likely a maintenance issue. We bout ours used also, with about 67K miles. It ran great from day one, and still does now at about 87K miles.

What you are experiencing is not the norm for these vehicles, based on our experience. It's time to have someone look at it - someone who really knows and understands these turbocharged engines. They're great little engines, but require a faithful attitude towards maintenance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts