2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my wife's 2013 sel awd. Went to hit the brakes and there was no assist. There was also absolutely no indication of an issue related to me by any warning light, buzzer, just all of a sudden I am not able to stop and I overshoot a turn by 100 ft. Luckily I was out in the country at the time. Had I been in heavy traffic, things would of been very different. I see the f150 had a recall because of the vacuum pump failure. Cannot believe that I was given no warning. Now it is at the dealer and of course it isn't under warranty. Car has 64000 miles, has been nothing but problems, $1500.00 later, I should have it back this Friday . I love my Mustang GT, have always been a Ford man. I believe this car is headed for the trade in at some Japanese car dealer. My wife deserves better and more reliable.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,339 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune and very glad that the outcome wasn't worse as it well might have been. I can certainly understand your extreme frustration with this sort of failure no matter what the cause.

The record of problem reports on this forum suggests yours was a very rare anomalous failure but that's of little consolation at the moment I'm sure.

I've not heard of any manufacturer having an absolutely perfect and fault-free manufacturing record but if your decision is to "trade in at some Japanese car dealer" as a result of this, I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

In regard to the F150 vacuum pump failure it's worth noting that Ford has, in addition to the recall, reimbursed replacement costs for pre-recall repairs and has extended the warranty on that component to 10 years/150k miles for potentially affected vehicles. I hope your next manufacturer of choice responds as well when they have a problem; history suggests some don't, including "Japanese" (though I'm sure I don't know what nationality of manufacturer has to do with this sort of thing).

Reactions: atlcarl69

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vacuum Power Assist failed too

Hi, The same thing happened to me. I was driving out of a mountainous road and all of a sudden, no warning lights, no check engine lights, nothing, the power brakes went. I was able to stop by using the hydraulic system with both feet tromping down on the brake pedal. I have taken my car to the Ford dealer and they said that it was the vacuum power assist contraption that was defective. I haven't gotten my car back (9 days now) because they are saying that the engine does not function properly now and that is isn't the 'fault' of the vacuum power assist device malfunctioning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vacuum Pump Failure - Twice

I've had the Vacuum Pump fail twice (two years apart)...both times while I was trailering my boat. The Ford dealership has confirmed that these were identical failures (pump seized - broken bolt) but cannot explain how this is related to trailering my boat (1500 lbs). Both times they have replaced the pump (thank God I bought the extended warranty). I'm getting nervous about my next trailering adventure / vacation. Any ideas on how these two can be related? 2013 SEL Escape (Lemon Edition).

·
Registered
2 Posts
My vacuum pump failed on my escape at 60900 miles. I was on the interstate and had to coast and use the e brake to stop when the brakes failed. It left me stranded 2 hours from home and we had to trailer it to the house. The dealership quoted me $7000 to fix it because they said metal frag from the bolt went through the engine and turbo. If you haven't already file a complaint with the NHTSA with as much info as you can give them. This has seriously hurt people before and happens a lot right around the end of the warranty period. We are trying to get them to open an investigation into the failures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also for the person who said that this is "super rare" it's not. There are already several complaints on NHTSA and elsewhere on the Internet and due to the catastrophic nature its likely that wrecks have been caused without knowing the cause. As for ford "responding well" the company wouldn't even speak to us. Just sent us in an endless round robin. FMC told us the dealership was responsible, the dealership said we had to talk to FMC. Meanwhile over a month later and there has been no resolution. Meanwhile this is similar to the failures on both the f-150 and edge models yet no similar recall or extended warranty has been offered.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
On the NHTSA site there are 8 brake failure complaints out of 1,215,766 Escapes sold (2013-2016) or .000658%
Put another way 99.999342% did not have issues warranted to report to the NHTSA.
Sorry, if that is not rare, I don't know what is.

Sure, a brake failure is a serious problem to the owner that has it, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I have had my brakes fail on a previous vehicle, but am aware enough to realize that things do fail. And, that if you want 100% reliability, be prepared to pay not thousands but millions for a car (why do you think aircraft are so expensive), and for the government to ground all of that model until it figures out why only 1 failed.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would say it is rare also, but that just to dangerous. Maybe there is a TSB for inspection of that part?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L23 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
My brakes went out on me in a very similar manner as you. I continued to drive it with the hard brakes, which ended up being a bad decision for me. A few weeks later, my Escape died on me on the Interstate. Took it to Ford, and they told me it was the Turbo's and Inter cooler. Thank goodness that was under extended warranty, and they told me I needed a new vacuum pump. Well, I told them I'd do that myself, since it's a easy job, and the brakes weren't under warranty. Well, I just did the job, and guess what? The bolt that connects the pump to the camshaft is broken off. Now we know what happened to the Turbo's. Horrible mess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the NHTSA site there are 8 brake failure complaints out of 1,215,766 Escapes sold (2013-2016) or .000658%
Put another way 99.999342% did not have issues warranted to report to the NHTSA.

Sure, a brake failure is a serious problem to the owner that has it, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I have had my brakes fail on a previous vehicle, but am aware enough to realize that things do fail. And, that if you want 100% reliability, be prepared to pay not thousands but millions for a car (why do you think aircraft are so expensive), and for the government to ground all of that model until it figures out why only 1 failed.
Not too sure this older data is correct, My son has a 2013 Escape 64k on it. Brakes failed on the way to the hospital with wife that is 7 mos pregnant. nearly wrecked in high traffic area. Out of warranty repairs on this one, no pumps available anywhere for 1 1/2 months anywhere online or in salvage yards. It twists the drive coupler off the camshaft and if ran long enough trashes the mainshaft inside the turbos. Overspooling from the lack of vacuum to wastegate. I'm going to look at NHTSA in 2019 numbers but this is a real issue that demands answers.Just looked at NHTSA and no more complaints have been filed, I just did. These failures are unsafe and could be deadly. IF this were a RARE failure, There may be parts available. THERE are NONE in the WORLD as of today. Had to call 12 salvage yards before one was found. Dealer said they never fail yet had 4 in the shop waiting on the very Vacuum pump I needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Identical problem happened to me last week. Vacuum pump seizure/broken coupler=shavings into engine. Turbo problem. 2015 with 2.0. 77K miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts

This problem happened to me as well, I did some research into NHTSA complaints as well. I would not say that this is an easily searchable complaint on their website. I have a feeling this is way more prevalent than appears in the forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts