2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to troubleshoot a no-start issue. I replaced the battery in my key, because it did flash a "no key" error. The battery was replaced this year. If I hook a jump starter to it that I have used successfully many times in the past, the control panel lights up and power windows, radio etc work but it will not crank/start. I pulled the 30A fuse F13 (starter relay) visually checked it, and snapped it back in. No change. Also, when the dash is lit it says it is in R but the shifter is all the way forward in the P position. Also, I noticed I only have two fuses in that row. My manual says the F9 Fuse is unused., but F9 and F11 (BCM fuse) are both empty. I am confused because there are photos of my fuse box online, some have two empty slots there like mine currently looks, and some have only one empty. The fuse box cover was loose just setting on top of the fuse box, which seems suspicious. Basically, what I need to know is if some of the 2014 1.6L escapes only have 2 fuses in that row like some pics I see online which means my owners manual does not match my vehicle exactly. or if somebody forced my hood without access to and took a 30 A fuse overnight. My last dealer experience for $900 was a nightmare.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Sounds like you may have already found your issue: the car thinks (or still is) in reverse. Move the shifter till it says it's in N and try starting it then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, the major no-start issue WAS caused by a failed bushing on the shift cable. I see there was an announcement of a recall on this issue; not sure what the latest status is and what Ford is doing about it. Glad I only paid Just Ask $35 to t/shoot for me and can get a part for under $10 until the recall is addressed.

However, it is still a mystery why my manual says I should have a BCM Fuse F11, but I do not have one. I am not sure if the dealer pulled it last time they were troubleshooting a no-start electrical issue, but obviously, besides this cable bushing, the car has been running fine since it was at the dealer last.

Would appreciate it if anyone does know if this is a mistake in the owner's manual. Or, if I need to go, ask the shop where my missing 30A fuse is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you may have already found your issue: the car thinks (or still is) in reverse. Move the shifter till it says it's in N and try starting it then.
I cannot move my shifter in a no-start condition, at least not any way that I figured out. One tow truck driver got it to work by doing something under the boot, but I did not see what he did to get it into neutral. Other drivers did not think it was possible? I think it's kinda of a bad design.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
However, it is still a mystery why my manual says I should have a BCM Fuse F11, but I do not have one. I am not sure if the dealer pulled it last time they were troubleshooting a no-start electrical issue, but obviously, besides this cable bushing, the car has been running fine since it was at the dealer last.

Would appreciate it if anyone does know if this is a mistake in the owner's manual. Or, if I need to go, ask the shop where my missing 30A fuse is.
According to the fuse diagram (google) there should be a BCM fuse F11 30A in place for your model.
It certainly would not hurt to pop one in there anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
515 Posts
I cannot move my shifter in a no-start condition, at least not any way that I figured out. One tow truck driver got it to work by doing something under the boot, but I did not see what he did to get it into neutral. Other drivers did not think it was possible? I think it's kinda of a bad design.
Turn the key to Run, push in the brake pedal just as you would if the car were running, and move the shifter to the gear you want. The car will still only start in Park or Neutral but you don't need the engine running to shift. Obviously that assuming you have a working shifter linkage which is sounds like you did not at the time.

As for what the tow driver did, there is usually an override in the transmission in the location you list so that a tow truck can get the vehicle out of Park if they do not have the key or the vehicle doesn't have electrical power. Typically you can find the location of that override in the owners manual.

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,608 Posts
So, the major no-start issue WAS caused by a failed bushing on the shift cable. I see there was an announcement of a recall on this issue; not sure what the latest status is and what Ford is doing about it. Glad I only paid Just Ask $35 to t/shoot for me and can get a part for under $10 until the recall is addressed.

One thing about the owner's manual fuse diagrams, they use one for all trims and don't clean it up for a specific one.
Your BCM is located under the glove compartment, not in the engine compartment and some trims (eg the Ti) have a secondary BCM on the right side of the cargo area.
F11 is a feed accessory power to the secondary BCM, depending on if your build was a Job 1 (started 12/1/2014) or the initial build you may not even have a secondary BCM. If your vehicle does not have heated seats or a powered driver's seat I would expect that fuse to be missing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am trying to troubleshoot a no-start issue. I replaced the battery in my key, because it did flash a "no key" error. The battery was replaced this year. If I hook a jump starter to it that I have used successfully many times in the past, the control panel lights up and power windows, radio etc work but it will not crank/start. I pulled the 30A fuse F13 (starter relay) visually checked it, and snapped it back in. No change. Also, when the dash is lit it says it is in R but the shifter is all the way forward in the P position. Also, I noticed I only have two fuses in that row. My manual says the F9 Fuse is unused., but F9 and F11 (BCM fuse) are both empty. I am confused because there are photos of my fuse box online, some have two empty slots there like mine currently looks, and some have only one empty. The fuse box cover was loose just setting on top of the fuse box, which seems suspicious. Basically, what I need to know is if some of the 2014 1.6L escapes only have 2 fuses in that row like some pics I see online which means my owners manual does not match my vehicle exactly. or if somebody forced my hood without access to and took a 30 A fuse overnight. My last dealer ex

It is your cable shifter bushing it's an $11 part at autozone or O'Reilly's or what have you I changed mine out myself as dealerships are not gonna be stocked with this part until late November​

1 - 9 of 9 Posts