2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, I have a 2014 Escape with the 2.0L engine, with 113,000 Miles. Have all the usual suspects, P0300, 301..., Loss of coolant, white smoke on startup. I know what the problem is, and the remedy. Engine Replacement. My question is what is the best route to go. Looking for options, but Ford Parts availability is non-existent. Should I go used, and can I go with a newer model engine (2018+), or do I have to stick with my model year? I've also looked into ATK reman engines, but not to sure on those.

What things should I be looking for in used or reman? What is the concensus remedy beyond being able to be covered under warranty, which I obviously cannot. I'm going to put an engine regardless. It will have a rebuilt transmission and engine replacement within the last year. If I can get some decent life out of it, I'll drive it till the wheels fall off.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,626 Posts
A head gasket failure on the pre 2017 2.0l EcoBoost isn't a common failure, so I'd suggest a few more checks before assuming the worst. When were the spark plugs last replaced?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A head gasket failure on the pre 2017 2.0l EcoBoost isn't a common failure, so I'd suggest a few more checks before assuming the worst. When were the spark plugs last replaced?
Original plugs...i know those need to go. I'm using at least a quart or more a day. Big white smoke on most starts. CEL with P0301 P0301. Head gasket I don't think is the issue..
But a leakdown test hasn't been done. I don't think it will point to another problem besides coolant intrusion, which means engine replacement. Used engine from LKQ with a limited lifetime warranty for under $1500 plus install.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,626 Posts
I'm using at least a quart or more a day. Big white smoke on most starts.
Pull the spark plugs and compare them all colour wise. I had a head gasket go on a different make (turbo engine) and the cylinder the coolant was leaking into had a cleaner plug with a green tinge to it. (The coolant was green.)

Reactions: Ozekuga
1 - 7 of 7 Posts