2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BACKGROUND: I am troubleshooting my 2014 Ford Escape 2.5L with 145k miles. I purchased it 11/20/19 and I have replaced the following, (see list below) over the past month and a half.
PROBLEM: The engine idles roughly at under all conditions (warm/cold/in gear/neutral) and engine OBDII code 172 observed. This rough idle has never changed throughout the tune-up process. Idle speed is consistently 700 RPM, which seems reasonable. Engine starts a little rough, too.

Side note - I'm seeing inconsistent internet search results whether the P0172 code means "lean" or "rich". I'm seeing "rich" more frequently but a lot of posts regarding the Ford Escape state that "172" indicates "lean condition" which is the exact opposite.
  1. Installed new fuel pump assembly 11/27/19
  2. Gas additive for 'cleaning' added to two tank-fulls. Nov-Dec 2019
  3. Installed new Bosch MAP sensor 12/7/19. MAP sensor was pretty oily, but that might be normal?
  4. Installed new air filter 12/9/19. Previous filter was a bit dirty but could observe light through it when gently folded.
  5. Installed 4 new high-quality spark plugs 12/26/19 Previous spark plugs looked OK. Gap was a bit high (~30-50k miles on them?). No oil observed on plugs.
  6. Installed 4 new Bosch fuel injectors 12/26/19. Old injectors had some dirt around the exterior of the O-rings but otherwise OK. Unsure whether they were original?
  7. Replaced the upstream O2 sensor. 12/29/19 Previous one appeared to have been replaced by a professional recently.
  8. Replaced the downstream O2 sensor. 1/2/19. Old downstream O2 sensor appeared to be original.
  9. Tested vacuum system 12/31/19. Vacuum is consistently at 21 mmHg throughout RPM range--very good! Definitely not a vacuum leak.
Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2,066 Posts
Have you tried scanning using ForScan? It might show up some extra codes that generic scanners may have missed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2015 ford escape 2.0 Titanium starting shuttering/ruff idling mainly going up hills (2000 rpm) but then progressed to happening while at stop lights and while traveling at high speeds on the Interstate. I did some research here and found that another person corrected this shuttering/idling issue by changing their auto transmission fluid. So I gave it a shot at 100K at all shuttering/idling issues have stopped. If you have not changed your auto trans fluid (even though manual says 150K) do so and please report back. Alot of people say its easy to DIY but I had ford do it and was around $300. Basically the dirty fluid is causing the transmission to not operate correctly which creates the shuttering/ruff idling.

·
Registered
233 Posts
We have a fleet of 2.5 escapes at my company. I do know more than a handful have (including the 2016 I currently drive) have had to get the throttle body replaced. Mine failed about 30k miles or so if I remember correctly. It would run terribly, check engine light, very little power. It would idle ok but once you tried to give it some gas it would fall on its face. Sometimes you could turn off and restart the car and it would be fine for a little while but it eventually got replaced under warranty and has been fine since, now at about 115k.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts