2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2014 for my daughter and we were driving it around and I noticed how loud it is on the bumps. There's no rattle and the suspension feels fine, but every bump in the road resonates loudly through the vehicle. Is this just normal for the Escape? Is there something I can do to lessen it?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,091 Posts
It may need new struts/ shock absorbers?

Reactions: ajef7885

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It may need new struts/ shock absorbers?
That's my guess, too. Like I mentioned, no rattle. I don't hear the tell-tale rumble indicating worn wheel bearings. It just sounds like a kettle drum on road bumps.

·
Super Moderator
3,091 Posts
It would probably be a good place to start as they're quite likely well worn on a 2014- if they're the originals?

I've had some custom front struts made and had major issues with severe impact harshness over bumps with the first attempt. I worked out it was the tyres losing contact with the road over bumps with sharp drop offs. You could have something similar happening due to them being worn.

PS: Rock Auto is a good place to check for prices and also Tasca Ford for genuine parts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine does the same thing, but the clunk is only coming from the front passenger wheel.
While it probably could use new shocks and struts (124K) if they all were needing replacement it would do that on all wheels.
The noise coming from the right front wheel is most likely loose nuts at the tops of the strut. The sway bar linkage is another thing you could check, mine seem pretty snug.

·
Super Moderator
3,091 Posts
While it probably could use new shocks and struts (124K) if they all were needing replacement it would do that on all wheels.
Yes, at a minimum you'd want to replace them in pairs on the same axle.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
whats your tire pressure? too low and the tire "slaps" on bumps, too high and it "drums". there is a sweet spot. for my tires its around 2.6 bar. (or 36psi for you Yankees)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts