2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is my first post on the Technical Forum.......We purchased a 2014 Ford Escape Titanium with 39-40k miles on it. The car is running fine and the turbo is a lot of fun! My wife is the Primary Driver commuting 20 miles round trip We are getting about 19-20 mpg. Is this reasonable? The silly estimated driving conditions says it should be around 21.2 mpg.

Where would be a good place to start increasing the MPG? any suggestions would be appreciated?

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Hello,

This is my first post on the Technical Forum.......We purchased a 2014 Ford Escape Titanium with 39-40k miles on it. The car is running fine and the turbo is a lot of fun! My wife is the Primary Driver commuting 20 miles round trip We are getting about 19-20 mpg. Is this reasonable? The silly estimated driving conditions says it should be around 21.2 mpg.

Where would be a good place to start increasing the MPG? any suggestions would be appreciated?
The dash estimated mileage has always been over optimistic based on my three Escapes. Actual measurement in miles and fuel used is only way to go.
If you are having fun with the turbo, likely you are burning fuel there.
suggest you put you vehicle specifics in your signature line and search board for similar threads. You are not the first with this question.

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Learn where the vehicle shifts up along the routes you drive and pick a speed just beyond where it shifts up. You'll get the best mileage there at the lower rpms. And don't enjoy the turbo so much :)!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently put some injector cleaner in our 2.0L and found it made a noticeable reduction in fuel consumption....to the tune of nearly 2 mpg. We avg 24-24.5 mpg now

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Hello,

As a other poster has pointed out, there are a lot of mileage threads on this forum. Try a search to see some more information on this. Should be very easy to find.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Hello,

according to the dash guage my 2014 2.0T FWD gets 24mpg. so your 21 is not far off base (assuming you have awd and possibly roof rack, which both decrease mpg)

speed is the biggest killer of mileage. SUVs are tall and push a lot of air. 50 mph is a sweet spot for mileage (over 30mpg!!). its right when you hit 6th gear but are low revs.
driving habits are next. Looking ahead, coasting in to red lights or slow traffic, avoind unneccesary acceleration (drive as if your brakes dont work).
low rolling resistance tires could help, aired up as high as you can tolerate.
if you want to get crazy, i could suggest all sorts of hypermiler stuff....

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have the 2.0 turbo in my 14' and I am getting either side of 20 MPG and I would consider myself a "throttle junkie"! You will notice about a 1 MPG drop during colder months, particularly in Norther states and Canada where it is naturally colder. When Spring comes, the mileage will go back up a MPG or so. I've seen that on the Escape and just about every car I have ever had. If you start noticing a more substantial drop, it might be time to check out the O2 sensors as they can tell the computer to burn more fuel as they go bad. I went up 3-4 MPG on my old truck when I replaced just one of the two. From what you described, I'd say you are normal for the 2.0 liter turbo (for town and country driving combined).

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I used to drive 90 miles an hour both ways to Flagstaff it's a really lot of mountains I would average about 20 to 22 but since I got some pretty harsh speeding tickets I now have to go the speed limit which is 75 here in Arizona and I now average about 25 miles per gallon going uphill from Phoenix to Flagstaff and about 31 coming back so there's really a sweet spot and that transmission those gears where once you go past 75 that that engine speeds going up enough that it is making a huge difference and your gas mileage also I've noticed that I get better gas mileage with me driving rather than cruise control cuz with the 2 l at least you can just barely feather that thing and it's got enough torque to go up mountains or whatever it doesn't take any gas at all so you can do better but don't go over 75 you know I do 80 sometimes rarely if I need a pass but I usually keep it right at 75 and just barely press the gas that's all it needs and for highway you can get 30 plus miles a gallon in fact I will take a picture I filled up in Flagstaff today and show you what my MPG was today. And it's not just the hills either although they help I've gotten 28.5 just driving around Phoenix although it was you know pretty much all highway you guys got to understand when you're running any kind of forced induction like a turbo or supercharger when you get into boost the air fuel ratio has to get a lot richer so you're going to use more gas to get that same power so that's the great thing about these you know you can get really good gas mileage when you take it easy on it and then if you need the power you can get on it and it's got way more power than the two liter ever have especially down low naturally aspirated so you know stay out of the boost until you need it and you'll get a lot better gas mileage

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
i'm pretty consistent 24-27 depending on speeds and temperatures. I would say to increase you have to lay off the throttle a little, but 21 in the city or city heavy isn't unreasonable. I would recommend checking on any fuel additives since I have heard (not confirmed though) that some can heat up the exhaust and start to cook the turbo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh, also only use Top Tier rated gas. That should keep everything working smoothly since it has a little extra detergent to prevent some of the coking of your intakes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello, my name is Dennis . . . and my wife is a turbo junkie 😢.

The only way I can get my mileage over 20 is to take my wife's fob away from her. She works only about five miles down the road, and there are traffic lights, to practice reaction times and hard launches.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
Hello, my name is Dennis . . . and my wife is a turbo junkie 😢.

The only way I can get my mileage over 20 is to take my wife's fob away from her. She works only about five miles down the road, and there are traffic lights, to practice reaction times and hard launches.
Too funny and too true (great post)! :ROFLMAO:

Your underlying message is clear and spot-on, IMO: The hands-down single biggest influence on MPG that can be affected by the owner/operator is driving style. Everything else, for any given well-maintained vehicle, is just chipping-away at the margins.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Too funny and too true (great post)! :ROFLMAO:

Your underlying message is clear and spot-on, IMO: The hands-down single biggest influence on MPG that can be affected by the owner/operator is driving style. Everything else, for any given well-maintained vehicle, is just chipping-away at the margins.
I jus' calls 'um as I sees 'um. Good thing the wife doesn't see this, anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i'm pretty consistent 24-27 depending on speeds and temperatures. I would say to increase you have to lay off the throttle a little, but 21 in the city or city heavy isn't unreasonable. I would recommend checking on any fuel additives since I have heard (not confirmed though) that some can heat up the exhaust and start to cook the turbo.
As far I'm concerned fuel additives are a waste of money. Fixing cars takes diagnosis and work there ain't a magic pill for fixing them u can just pour in and go no offense to people who use them that's just my experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree pretty much with what everyone else has said. The Ecoboost engines let you have the "eco" or the "boost" - pick one.

If you want more "eco" you gotta stay out of the "boost". This is true of any turbocharged engine. Avoid S mode in the transmission, and easy does it, especially on launches from complete stops.

This is the point where I say, "Oh, the heck with it", and drive it for the fun, of course.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I drive in mostly exurban-rural country; few stoplights and signs, and mostly 55mph/90kmh two lane, driving mostly alone and unladen. I tend to get 25+mpg/-11.3 l/100km until winter hits and that can drop to under 22/over 28 if I'm using the autostart a lot in the winter. Some other "empiric-dotal" stuff:
  • Coast more brake less.
  • During the winter months, most gasoline brands around the snow belt blend in additives for improved cold start and cold engine performance, and these can drag down milage. Also, lean burn design aside, a cold engine will run richer until the coolant and oil temps are near optimal. Not much you can do about that.
  • Fuel grade is important to increased milage. I use 91 octane ethanol-free top tier gasoline in mine most all of the time. My milage is better (measured either with the trip computer or pencil and paper), and I think it may help with fewer deposits in the combustion chambers. The increased milage only slightly offsets the "premium" cost over 87octane, but I'm hoping for a long-lived 1.5L EcoBoost (oxymoron?)
  • Snow build-up in the wheel wells and underside of the vehicle can increase the weight of the car.
  • Tire pressure is the simplest, cheapest thing that is easily monitored by the owner. Even one low tire can bring milage down tenths of a gallon/bring up tenths of a l/100km. Always check tire pressure when the tire is cold, and do not inflate beyond the maximum pressure stated on the tire's sidewall. Don't wait until the little yellow tire thingy on the dashboard lights up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As far I'm concerned fuel additives are a waste of money. Fixing cars takes diagnosis and work there ain't a magic pill for fixing them u can just pour in and go no offense to people who use them that's just my experience.
Do you consider fuel injector cleaner to be an additive? Curious

·
Registered
100 Posts
Don't you wish they still had Driver's Ed in high school, where we learned a lot of this common sense stuff?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Do you consider fuel injector cleaner to be an additive? Curious
top tier gas is already full of additives and detergents. I would argue that nothing more could be gained by dumping a bottle of extra additives and detergents in the tank except lightening your wallet as the injectors are spotless.
if u dont buy top tier gas, YMMV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree pretty much with what everyone else has said. The Ecoboost engines let you have the "eco" or the "boost" - pick one.

If you want more "eco" you gotta stay out of the "boost". This is true of any turbocharged engine. Avoid S mode in the transmission, and easy does it, especially on launches from complete stops.

This is the point where I say, "Oh, the heck with it", and drive it for the fun, of course.
LOL.....in some ways your describing our marriage! i have to admit it is hard not to hit the accelerator! I guess I need to let her drive when we go anywhere together!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts