2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2014 ford escape SE with a 1.6 Liter turbo engine and front-wheel drive. A few days ago I tried removing the spare tire, the plastic cover allowing to unscrew the spare tire and access the stripped on the bolt. Anytime I tried unscrewing the bolt from the spare tire, the plastic cover keeps spinning around on top of the bolt. This is clearly a manufacturing defect and there is no recalled for it even though there should be. Has anyone been successful at removing the spare tire with the plastic top cover stripped and spinning around?

·
Super Moderator
5,874 Posts
I have not had any issues on removing this. I think this issue is the first time it has come up on this forum. So I don’t think it’s as widespread of a problem as you think. Just because a problem occurs in a vehicle, doesn’t mean there should be a recall done. Your Escape is 6 years old, problems will happen.

Hopefully someone here can reply back with a solution for you to help you get your spare tire removed.

·
Registered
2020 Escape
48 Posts
Have you applied upward pressure on it while unscrewing it? If it’s spinning and not engaging the screws you might be able to just pull it off. Since I don’t have your model year, how about posting a picture or 2 of the issue. That would be a big help in finding a solution.

Update. Found a YouTube video of the item in question. Pull up while turning. Or cut out the center section around the thread rod with a Dremel tool. Then get a replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply. Can you please post a link or title of the youtube video as a reference for me?

·
Super Moderator
2,224 Posts
Some careful application of super glue on the slipping plastic piece to the nut (?) it's slipping on may work. Don't get any on the thread!! :eek:

·
Registered
2020 Escape
48 Posts
Just go to YouTube and search your year, model and spare tire. It’s not that difficult. All I needed for YouTube was to see what you had for a hold-down of the spare. It was not a video of how to solve your issue. But there might be one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts