2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
I’ve been using and watching this forum for a long time now but this is finally my first time asking a question! I’m stuck!!!

I have an exhaust leak. I can smell the exhaust in the cabin but also, more predominantly, when leaning over the engine. There isn’t really any remarkable sound, just smell…and soot (more on that later).
I’ve also lost significant boost/power, especially under peak load up a hill. It makes a “weird?” noise at this time. Of note, no check engine light has come on.
I have to believe the exhaust leak is somewhere up stream from or including the turbo. There isn’t much distance! Candidates would be: manifold and/or turbo but I fail to see how a turbo could leak exhaust?

Finally now, the soot. There is soot buildup under the manifold but noticeably concentrated on the underside of the turbo. My thinking is a gasket leak and the airflow for it is funneled down to the turbo area. BUT, you’ll see that the top of the turbo is relatively clean.
Attached is the best photo I can get given the cramped area.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Tire Automotive exterior

I’ve got a couple different perspective shots that make me really think the leak is actually coming from the “joint?” Between turbo and manifold? Makes it look like the exhaust is being blasted back at the rear of the engine…

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Rim Fender

The other side (non turbo) of the exhaust down pipe is much cleaner:
Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rim Bumper

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: so I think there are two different issues at play:

1. Turbo gasket leak at cold temp (seems common)
2. Wastegate solenoid failure (also seems common)

It goes into the dealership today and I’ll give them those suspicions to confirm or deny.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts