2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Escape brand new in 2015. Love the car! It’s my first Ford and it now has 71,600 miles on it.
A little over a month ago a warning message appeared in the display screen above the steering wheel: “Engine Fault - Service Now” the car was running fine and the warning went away when I restarted the car. It came on again a few days later and disappeared as before upon restarting.
I was at the dealer for some unrelated recall work and asked the service guy about it. He looked puzzled, and then told me not to worry about it unless the warning stayed on. That didn’t impress me at all.
It came on several times again so I made an appointment at the dealer.
Long story short, coolant was leaking and some of it was found in cylinder #3.
They tell me I need a new engine. The estimate is $9,400. The trade in value of the car is app. $10,000.
I complained about this in a Facebook post and was contacted by someone from Ford who asked me to send him a PM, etc.
After some back-and-forth with him I got a “Too bad, it’s 5 years old and out of warranty.”
Since I had all my oil changes, etc performed at the dealer, their oil supplier will pay $3,000 toward the replacement. I have been back and forth with the head guy at the dealership who tells me he has been in touch with muckety-mucks in Detroit about having them contribute toward this as well. I’m not holding my breath.
I see that the 2013-14 models have had recalls for coolant leaks but not the 2015.
To say I’m not happy with Ford is an understatement.
Looks like my first Ford will be my last.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,673 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

What engine have you got? There are existing threads with recalls/ TSB's for similar failures in both the 1.5l and 2.0l EcoBoost engines. Your year model may be too early for them to apply though?

·
Registered
129 Posts
That’s highly unusual for the 2.0. Did they say how it happened? I’m surprised at the replacement cost, I’ve never heard of one so close to $10k

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A friend of mine said he heard from a Ford mechanic that they refer to it as a “floating head”. The mechanic also said that Ford has been picking up the cost, but I find that hard to believe.
I also heard that there are cracks in the cylinder sleeves.
Ford isn’t admitting anything, at least to me.
There is a class action lawsuit concerning the Ecoboost engine. If this thing ends up costing me a substantial amount of money, I’ll be forced to join that I guess.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,149 Posts
I purchased my Escape brand new in 2015. Love the car! It’s my first Ford and it now has 71,600 miles on it.
A little over a month ago a warning message appeared in the display screen above the steering wheel: “Engine Fault - Service Now” the car was running fine and the warning went away when I restarted the car. It came on again a few days later and disappeared as before upon restarting.
I was at the dealer for some unrelated recall work and asked the service guy about it. He looked puzzled, and then told me not to worry about it unless the warning stayed on. That didn’t impress me at all.
They tell me I need a new engine. The estimate is $9,400. The trade in value of the car is app. $10,000.
I complained about this in a Facebook post and was contacted by someone from Ford who asked me to send him a PM, etc.
After some back-and-forth with him I got a “Too bad, it’s 5 years old and out of warranty.”
Since I had all my oil changes, etc performed at the dealer, their oil supplier will pay $3,000 toward the replacement. I have been back and forth with the head guy at the dealership who tells me he has been in touch with muckety-mucks in Detroit about having them contribute toward this as well. I’m not holding my breath.
I see that the 2013-14 models have had recalls for coolant leaks but not the 2015.
There are some other threads on here that have the symptoms you are experiencing with your Escape. Try searching for “engine fault now”. You might get some help with those threads

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Vader!
In looking at the posts under “Engine Fault Service Now” I can see that the warning light is fairly common in several model years. The strange thing is my car never exhibited the symptoms that some of the posters described. I never lost power or had any “bucking” issues. I also didn’t see where anyone had to replace their engine, though I’ll confess that I didn’t read all the posts.
The other problem is the back order on parts from Ford. I was told that it could take a month to get the reconditioned engine and I haven’t been able to drive the car for a month already.
It’s very frustrating!

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Sorry to hear this. That really sucks. I'm sort of surprised since it was a 2015. It seems most of the problems happened in the 2013-2014 years but I guess there's always one that slips through the cracks.

I hope eventually everything will line itself straight again. Again sorry to hear this. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you.
I find it hard to believe that in the 21st century an American car company can’t produce a vehicle that won’t crap out at 71,000 miles.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If Ford can't or won't replace this engine FOC and you have to pay.
I would ask for the expired engine so it can be stripped to find the root cause.

Reactions: Rocko1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tom,

I'm having issues with this on my 2017 Escape Titanium 2.0. I'm about 5k miles more than you, and I'm having my second long block repair for this issue on this vehicle. More details here... Good luck!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you.
I find it hard to believe that in the 21st century an American car company can’t produce a vehicle that won’t crap out at 71,000 miles.
LKQ has low mileage used 2.0 engines for around $600.00.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
A friend of mine said he heard from a Ford mechanic that they refer to it as a “floating head”. The mechanic also said that Ford has been picking up the cost, but I find that hard to believe.
I also heard that there are cracks in the cylinder sleeves.
Ford isn’t admitting anything, at least to me.
There is a class action lawsuit concerning the Ecoboost engine. If this thing ends up costing me a substantial amount of money, I’ll be forced to join that I guess.
They may be referring to an "open deck design of the block". I am not familiar with "floating head". Your 2.0 has a "closed deck" block design which makes is more solid in my opinion and a loss of coolant failure is unusual for that engine at least up until 2017 when Ford went to an "open deck" design for the 2.0 engine. Did they do a pressure test and scope to determine if coolant was getting into the cylinder?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2013 Escape 2.0 echo boost also. I have had nothing but recalls and problems with it. Jumped out of drive one time, sound like a half dollar dropping into a metal can on start up, water leaks into hidden compartment on floor behind front passenger seat( no I do not have sunroof or luggage rack) of course dealer said they’d never had a problem like that, yeah right because it’s sure been mentioned on this site. engine sensor replaced, crack that started at top edge of windshield ( nobody was on highway I was on ) I just heard a little weird sound and no my radio was not on and I know that it is a design defect. Hatch handle pulled off and dealer put in long screws which did not help it stay on. When I start car sometimes it sounds like car engine catches wrong. The noise from outside is terrible. People always ask me if I’m outside when using phone thru the Bluetooth . There’s more problems that I’m sure don’t come to mind right now.Yes, I am a woman, but pretty knowledgeable about cars. First time I’ve ever bought a new American made car, and the last time. I’m a senior citizen and have owned many used vehicles and not ONE has given me the trouble this Escape has. You could not even offer me a free Ford vehicle. I’d tell u to put it where the sun doesn’t shine. By the way I saw a lady with a 2013 Escape just like mine last month and her transmission went out while driving on the freeway. It cost 4,000 for a replacement tranny!

·
Registered
9 Posts
2018 same problem

·
Registered
2015 Ford Escape SE
1 Posts
Hi, I had very similar situation happen to me last Spring and I took it to the local Ford dealer and they determined that it was a bad battery. So I replaced and everything is fine now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts