2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

We have a 2015 Escape titanium 2.0 and in the last year weve had the torque converter replaced, the transmission solenoid B replaced twice, and now the PTU replaced. Not to mention a transmission reprogramming. Yet we still have hard shifting going on between gears 2 and 4. We have an extended warranty and the car has 107K on it but the dealership refuses to replace the transmission. Any advice on getting them to finally fix this issue after a gear and 3 trips?

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's just a problem with the 6F35 transmissions.
The Fusions have the same problem.
I have been battling with my 2.5L 2015 SE since 2017 with it.
Hard down shift at 38mph as well.
Have been told that "It's just the nature of the transmission", and that the driver before me may have been too heavy on the pedal that made the computer shift quicker in this case harder if you have a lighter foot.
Sport mode combined with a heavy foot make the shifting not as hard in lower gears.
Above 50mph is a smooth ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
They are not all hard shifting.. my 2015 6F35 shifts smoothly and perfect.. The only problem I am having is the dirty oil in the trans.. can't seem to get it clean after 4 oil changes.. (43,000 miles). It would be nice to have an easy way of draining the torque converter.. People say it's just the Mercon LV oil. but my F350 2105 has the same oil and it stays -nice and red.. and that is with pulling a 6500 lbs RV trailer several times a year.. my 2 cents worth..
But to Gwizz69, If the torque converter went bad, there is a good chance it damaged the trans.. IMO (A relative of ours owns a 2014 Escape with 65K miles and the torque converter went bad and it ruined the trans... according to the mechanic & $7000 later the car is back on the road)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was my exact thought on the torque converter situation. When they flashed the transmission control unit the tech said that the tcu had "learned some really bad behaviors" I asked if it could have been from the TCU compensating for the broken torque converter and I was assured that was not the case. I'm pretty sure my dealership is just doing everything they can to not replace this transmission until I'm out of my warranty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They are not all hard shifting.. my 2015 6F35 shifts smoothly and perfect.. The only problem I am having is the dirty oil in the trans.. can't seem to get it clean after 4 oil changes.. (43,000 miles). It would be nice to have an easy way of draining the torque converter.. People say it's just the Mercon LV oil. but my F350 2105 has the same oil and it stays -nice and red.. and that is with pulling a 6500 lbs RV trailer several times a year.. my 2 cents worth..
But to Gwizz69, If the torque converter went bad, there is a good chance it damaged the trans.. IMO (A relative of ours owns a 2014 Escape with 65K miles and the torque converter went bad and it ruined the trans... according to the mechanic & $7000 later the car is back on the road)
It is 100% normal for the transmission fluid in these newer cars to not remain pink/red anymore. The fluid turns black like looking at motor oil. I took my 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium in to have the oil changed at a quick lube type place. The mechanic checked the fluid under the car and told me it was very dirty. I asked to have him show me a sample. It shocked the heck out of me when it was very dark brown or black. There was no smell of burned fluid however, and I had no signs of any problem shifting. I immediately called my Ford dealer and took it in. The service manager assured me that was normal and asked when I last had the fluid changed. I had 75,000 miles on the car, but purchased it at 62,000 miles, so I said I had no idea, just change it. He said it is normal for it to do that, and if I were to look at it again in 'few thousand miles' it would look like that again. He also told me to get it replaced about every 30-40,000 miles because ALL new transmissions require it. He told me also that even if Ford claims it's permanent or 100,000 miles rated before service, he asked how much I liked to take care of my car. So you know where I am going to do.
To those addressing the hard shifting, IMHO, I would much rather deal with a hard shifting situation than having one slide between ranges. Sliding is not good on the clutches at all. My car will sometimes have a hard shift situation, but it does it only under some conditions. When the trans is in 'Sport Mode', if you accelerate and back off the gas before you let it shift, the trans will remain in that gear and NOT shift at all for a short while. That too is normal for that mode. In sport it also will downshift very early when slowing down if you watch the tach. Also normal. It is also normal if you gently press the gas pedal when starting to move forward then pull the shift lever into sport mode that the car will seem like it is going to take off faster, and you haven't pressed the gas further down. The ECU changes the parameters to sport and changes the power transfer also. It is really a cool transmission and technology.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts