2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm going to start posting my latest project: To install an aftermarket Pioneer Avic8000NEX stereo into my 2015 Ford Escape SE with Sync w/My Ford.

To get started, I removed the dash panels to see what I will be up against. It appears that the stereo will fit perfectly (I don't have the stereo yet...due to travel it will not be here till the first week of June).

The items I believe I'll need are below:

Scosche® FD02SR - Factory Stereo Replacement Interface

and this actually arrives tomorrow:
Scosche FD6203B Double DIN Dash Kit

The only concerns I have are that I want to utilize the factory backup camera to the My Ford display, but I believe it runs through the factory stereo. I took a peek to see if I could move the radio to behind the dash, but I did not notice any available space...over the holiday weekend, I will do a little more poking and prodding around to see what I can come up with.

Feel free to post your comments/notes.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh sweet! I had done a ton of searching and didn't realize that anyone made a Double DIN kit for our Escapes, this must be new.

I'll definitely be following this with great interest since I really want to throw something that support Android Auto into my Escape eventually. This system looks like a real winner.

I'd really appreciate if you could document how involved the whole wiring process is, I think that's what makes me the most nervous.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Nice. I'm not much of a stereo and sounds guy but I'll be following this thread just to see what happens and how things turn out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll definitely be updating often. Unfortunately I have to go to Canada for work next week, and won't be able to order the stereo till I get back. Yes, the double DIN kit must have just recently come out...I have been searching periodically and just happened to find it!

Some REALLY great news! I ran out to the car during lunch and did some tests: I found that if I unplugged both the stereo connectors, and the control connector, I was still able to start my FE! I was also able to put it into reverse, and the backup camera works!!! That's VERY exciting as I was suspecting that it went through the stereo like some Hyundai's do. On top of that, the Temp, Date/clock all work as well! The only thing I have to figure out now is that there are two antenna type connectors on the back of the radio that I couldn't immediately figure out how to get unplugged...they are both silver and one plugs into a brown plug, and the other a black plug...and they are right next to each other. My assumption is that one is the am/fm antenna, and the other is the Sirius antenna, or it might even be the microphone. I'm up in the air as to whether the Sirius receiver is internal to the stereo because when I was unplugging the stereo, the Sirius stayed on until I unplugged the control...I might have to test this some more at a later time.

I also took dimensions of the factory stereo as well as the opening that it fits into, for anyone that cares:

Stereo: 7.10" wide x 3.125" tall x 5.38" deep
Opening: 7.54" wide x 3.53" tall. Depth I didn't check as I figured the stereo depth states that already.

According to the raised metal on the top, and the plastic dowel on each side of the stereo, it appears that the double DIN kit will slide directly into the existing stereo...which is totally awesome! I should have it tomorrow and will post a few pics of it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I went on Motorcraft's website and paid the $10.95 for the 2015 FE Manuals for 3 days... some VERY valuable info. I have been taking screenshots of everything, especially the audio info. One thing I found interesting is that the front tweeters are paralleled off the front door speakers...I would have thought they would at least have had some sort of crossover to them...something I think I will definitely add with a small amp down the line.

It does appear that the SDARS (Satellite tuner) is built into the stereo unit, and the reason it had stayed on is because it has the replay feature. The in-car microphone could be used but I'll need to cut the factory wires going into the APIM unit and use the Pioneer end.

I'm planning on running a separate USB (the Pioneer has two USB's on back) from the Pioneer to my phone dock, so I'll be able to use the factory USB (since it's connected to the APIM, which doesn't get disconnected) for an additional power source for phone or iPad, etc. I might even rewire the Audio IN connection to the Pioneer unit, just in case... I'll think about that one though.

So I'll update tomorrow with pics of the new dash mount...the only fear I have with that is from the online pics it looks a little glossy, which won't match the factory dash plastic perfectly...I may have to look at spraying it...we'll see tomorrow!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,337 Posts
Great find that the Scosche interface has been released. Subscribed and following with interest, especially regarding how the new pieces work with SYNC and Bluetooth phone use.

I found this page on the Scosche site Interfaces by Scosche and note no check mark under the column for call answer/end on the steering wheel controls for the FD02SR Escape interface :( I'll be very interested to see what you end up with when all is said and done.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
...... One thing I found interesting is that the front tweeters are paralleled off the front door speakers...I would have thought they would at least have had some sort of crossover to them...something I think I will definitely add with a small amp down the line....
FYI the tweeters have a filter cap mounted on the back of the driver, so that's effectively the x-over for those (same both front and back). If you drive the front pair of a single amp channel your new x-over can be added at the end of the tweeter feed in the A-pillar. If you want to go with an active xo on the tweeter it's easiest to just abandon the OEM feed and run a new separate one to your amp(s). I've done both as my system has evolved.

Doing some searching last night I tripped on this thread about an installation of the Schosche FD02SR on a Focus .... interesting stuff on how it connects to the Pioneer HU's starting about page 8 of the thread about that FYI in case you've not seen this Lanson's audio build thread - ST1 - Page 8.

Really looking forward to your FE installation .... methinks you're gonna end-up with a winner.

·
Registered
91 Posts
One thing I'm wondering is... Installing this removes the Sync controls for the little pod up top (I have no idea what proper names are for anything). Is there anything that you need those controls for that you can't use the steering wheel controls for as well? Like setting the clock or something?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By performing this install, I'll effectively be removing the Sync system totally...which I'm glad to do. I honestly think Sync is a poor product (especially with microsoft).

Centex, you are correct...while I was driving home I realized that the on-speaker crossover was probably it was but didn't think about that while typing, and I placed my ear really close to it and could definitely only hear the highs... I also saw Larson's project, which gave me some good ideas!

Knolly, the 4.2" display is called the Front Control/Display Interface Module (FCDIM). You are correct, you would lose the ability to set the clock/date. One of the thoughts I had was to meter out the radio control and build a little keypad that could be tied in. I've done this with USB keyboards to use as auxiliary controls for some demo cnc machine controls I have made where I work...I'd probably just use a numeric keypad that can be hidden somewhere. The other thought was to make a switching circuit to keep the radio installed behind the dash in case I wanted to listen to the satellite radio...I'm still contemplating that. For as big as the dash is, there's not a lot of room behind it! In these cases, I would just parallel wires off the Control connector and run them into the dash where I could then plug in the Control and make changes to the time, etc when DST comes around twice a year.

The double DIN kit should be arriving shortly and I'll post pics!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I'm thick as a brick sometimes.....just realized yours is the audio without 8"MFT (DOH).

So, while this is a great upgrade path for you it isn't a path for those of us with the non-Sony 8"MFT to get better HU audio quality (the Pioneer and other aftermarket HU's can't replace all the other non-audio functions covered on our MFT screens).

:(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're right Centex...you probably have the digital climate control, which ties into it as well. I'll update my initial post to more clearly state which model I have...I just assumed saying Sync w/My Ford....these syncs are confusing!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You're right Centex...you probably have the digital climate control, which ties into it as well. I'll update my initial post to more clearly state which model I have...I just assumed saying Sync w/My Ford....these syncs are confusing!
You did fine in your OP. In my excitement about the possibilities I just missed the technically correct distinction between "MY Ford" and "My Ford Touch" and didn't initially look closely enough at your open-dash pic. I've had mine apart enough times to know it doesn't look like that ;-)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The double DIN dash kit just arrived...I'd have to say it seems like OEM quality. I was curious if the attaching brackets would be threaded, or I'd need to use the anchor nuts from the factory stereo...it looks like they are threaded. Also interesting is that the door lock/unlock light is a switch...not sure what the purpose of it is.

Here are some pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Looks good!

I know on my Ford Fiesta that was actually the door lock button in the center console. Since Scosche said that fascia is compatible with other Ford models (C-Max) maybe it's the lock button on that model too?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah it definitely could be! I should be able to order the Pioneer unit next weekend, so by the 3rd of June I should be installing it! I'll probably go back for the interface adapter at a later time...I want to research that a little more...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
.... Also interesting is that the door lock/unlock light is a switch...not sure what the purpose of it is.
FWIW on my '14 FE w/8"MFT there's a switch with that symbol in that location which enables/disables the interior door lock switches (toggle that switch and kids can't unlock the doors with the switches on the doors).

On the '13-'14 wiring diagrams that's the brown wire on the 8-pin FCIM connector C2402; the hazard light switch is on the brown & yellow wire in that connector.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, just about everything about this sound system sucks. In the mean time do yourself a favor. For a slight improvement pop the top plastic piece off at the top of the center stack, unplug the center speaker and get your stereo seperation back.

This system has no surround sound at all, so I cannot figure out the reason for that little speaker in the center of the dashboard. I got tired of it sounding like a mono AM station with almost everything that I played. Since I unplugged that center speaker I notice a difference.

Also, I've noticed some posts regarding the whole .mp3 thumb drive problems. Through complete fault of their own Ford never mentions the compatibilty problems with Sync and large thumb drives. I found out myself through much trial-and-error that Sync can only access thumb drives formatted in FAT32 - welcome to the 1990s Ford. AND you can only format thumb drives in FAT32 if they are 32Mb or smaller. So for a while I had a 64Mb thumb drive partitioned into two 32Mb, FAT32 drives. I complained to Ford in their survey about all of this. They don't care.

And lastly the system will not even see, much less play, some 31% of the folders and files on my thumb drive. This is because they will not play anything that has Digital Rights Protection on it.

Out of desperation I have found that it all works better by running and controlling my old 5th Gen iPod through the thing - via USB of course. It sees and plays everything on the iPod.

These are just some of the reasons I plan to rip all of it out and replace with something made in this century. And that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Actually you can format FAT32 up to 128GB, It is the application used to format that may have lower limits, so you may need another formatting application/utility, The MFT can (and does) read these larger volumes.

Reactions: centex

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,348 Posts
I've noticed some posts regarding the whole .mp3 thumb drive problems. Through complete fault of their own Ford never mentions the compatibilty problems with Sync and large thumb drives. I found out myself through much trial-and-error that Sync can only access thumb drives formatted in FAT32 - welcome to the 1990s Ford. AND you can only format thumb drives in FAT32 if they are 32Mb or smaller. So for a while I had a 64Mb thumb drive partitioned into two 32Mb, FAT32 drives. I complained to Ford in their survey about all of this. They don't care.
You would have saved yourself some trial-and-error if you would have searched the forum.
http://www.fordescape.org/forum/ele...lash-drive.html#/forumsite/20568/topics/44225

Here is a post on someone saying that you need to format to exFAT to access large USB drives

http://www.fordescape.org/forum/ele...slot-music.html#/forumsite/20568/topics/40329

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, my new Pioneer Avic8000NEX arrived today (I bought a factory refurb for $688 on eBay!)... Guess what?! The stereo doesn't even fit in the slot that the factory stereo does! BUT...I was able to cut the bottom section out (it's like a pressed foam) and it now fits nearly perfectly. I do have to adjust the top of the two brackets that mount to the new stereo though, as they are about an 1/8" too high. I actually was able to power it on and it seems to work.

The hurdles I now need to overcome are:
1. Finding a suitable 12v ignition switched ON (I neglected to grab this info when I paid for the 3 day subscription)...I thought there would have been a switched 12v at the radio...
2. Connecting the factory microphone for phone calls. I ran a pair of wire through to the center console where the mic connects to. I ended up pulling the entire center console top assemblies off so that I could get to those wires at the aux unit.
3. I ordered an antenna adapter, which I'm hoping works, so I'll need to pull it apart probably Friday to connect that.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts