2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for you reply on my other post. I stayed up longer than I should have last night working on this and got everything assembled. Everything is working except the stock back up camera. I wanted to know if you could provide some insight as to how you were able to overcome the "Camera Not Available" Thanks again.

Equipment Used
-Scosche FD6203B - Double DIN Stereo Dash Kit
-Scosche FD02SR - Factory Stereo Replacement Interface
-Pioneer AVH-4000NEX - Double DIN
See post #77... The 'Modifications' subsection outlines what I had to change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay I see now. Not sure how I skimmed over that information. Great, so I will need to carefully remove the video signal wires (Brown/Purple) and connect them to the aftermarket cable in the correct pin slots. I will attempt to do this when I get home. A bit nervous as I dont want to damage the system but need that backup camera. Will report back. Thank you again for the support.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can a mod help me edit post #77?

CAN I GET A MODERATOR TO ALLOW ME TO EDIT POST #77 ....?

Here are the features that DON'T YET WORK:
  • LED indicator for door locks (I need to add an LED and wire it in)
I need to move this bullet (LED indicator for door locks) to the 'is working section'. It turns out, there's already an LED supplied and wired properly; it lights up properly when the doors are locked. It's just VERY dim, and I didn't notice it until driving late at night.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finally have some time to finish this up. Final question, do the two wires need to be soldered when reconnected? Looking forward to closing the books on this one

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't cut the camera wires...

Finally have some time to finish this up. Final question, do the two wires need to be soldered when reconnected? Looking forward to closing the books on this one
Are you referring to the brown/purple wires for the camera?

If so, I was able to remove the terminals from the original connector and transplant them into the Scoshe connector.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the assistance

Are you referring to the brown/purple wires for the camera?

If so, I was able to remove the terminals from the original connector and transplant them into the Scoshe connector.

Thank you for the assistance. I'm glad I asked the question because I was about to cut those wires. I do not have any experience moving terminals and pins so I may be ending my adventure here and taking it in to the shop. I wish they had just included the proper connectors for the video cable in the Scosche FD02SR. I'm starting to wonder if the iDatalink Maestro would have provided better/full factory integration (backup cam included).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thank you for the assistance. I'm glad I asked the question because I was about to cut those wires. I do not have any experience moving terminals and pins so I may be ending my adventure here and taking it in to the shop. I wish they had just included the proper connectors for the video cable in the Scosche FD02SR. I'm starting to wonder if the iDatalink Maestro would have provided better/full factory integration (backup cam included).
I think I'm going to install an aftermarket radio this winter using the Maestro since I just noticed it's finally available (maybe it has been for a while, this is the first time I've seen it), I'll be sure to update as I go along!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Love your post and info. Here in OZ installed an aftermarket Chinese Android double din unit using the Connects2.co.uk fascia and interface. The interface keeps the stock 4" display working to display aircon, temps etc... Mine too attempts to connect to Bluetooth but does nothing. No SYNC anymore which is great. I have aftermarket reverse camera installed to display when I enter reverse, and also a DVR connected to the unit. GPS works as well as all the steering wheel controls and best of all I have Torque Pro.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Why not just use ADS-MRR Maestro RR and retain the factory controls?
Ha ha! Well you're about 10 months too late, but good info to know for the future perhaps. This thread has been dead since the beginning of last December.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone, new here. I am toying with the idea of finding what I need from crutchfield and going to Best Buy to have them install. It claims they will charge $99 if they have everything they need. Good idea/bad idea?

What's a good and fair price to have a backup camera and a Alpine iLX-107 or Pioneer AVH-4201NEX installed? I am very new to this, and I am not hands on so trying to make the right choice. Thanks! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,337 Posts
Hi everyone, new here. I am toying with the idea of finding what I need from crutchfield and going to Best Buy to have them install. It claims they will charge $99 if they have everything they need. Good idea/bad idea?

What's a good and fair price to have a backup camera and a Alpine iLX-107 or Pioneer AVH-4201NEX installed? I am very new to this, and I am not hands on so trying to make the right choice. Thanks! Much appreciated.
Welcome to the forum.

• You may find that Best Buy will charge more to install components not purchased from them (don't be surprised, ask the specific store before you buy the equipment).
  • I've not used them but from directly observing the experience of others the quality of audio installs at Best Buy, just like any other company, varies tremendously depending on the knowledge, skill/craftsmanship and work ethic of the individual installer(s) doing the work.
  • As a gross (over) generalization: Large chain operations tend to have a high rate of technician turnover compared to high-reputation local competing businesses. Ask yourself "Why?" and "Is this in my best interest when I seek quality work?".
  • I'd shop for installation services based on personal examination of similar installs and personal interview of customers, not price first and not online review sites. If an installer can't/won't provide references to customers (granted those will be the satisfied customers) that's a red flag.
  • It's helpful to recognize that any company or individual doing any work must charge a fair price including profit in order to sustain their business. Wages, employee benefits and storefront overhead all enter into that and none are particularly cheap. Time is money for a service provider - think in terms of the time it will take to do a job correctly with all the care and attention to detail you would like the person doing the work to invest in your car.
  • With labor-intensive services, when you seek the lowest price-range you almost always 'get what you pay for'. While good money doesn't always buy good work, good work always costs good money. Unlike 'hardware', skilled labor is not a commodity that can be 'price shopped' with predictable outcomes.
  • Ask yourself: "How much does this company depend on my satisfaction and resultant word-of-mouth reputation (good or bad) for its survival?" For many large chain operations the answer to that question is "Very little if at all."
  • The cost of skilled labor can vary hugely depending on local factors like cost of living, cost of storefront operation and workforce availability - it's very hard to get meaningful price/value guidance without considering those factors (e.g. by asking what people paid or think is 'fair/good' in other locales where you don't know those factors).

IMHO and good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

• You may find that Best Buy will charge more to install components not purchased from them (don't be surprised, ask the specific store before you buy the equipment).
  • I've not used them but from directly observing the experience of others the quality of audio installs at Best Buy, just like any other company, varies tremendously depending on the knowledge, skill/craftsmanship and work ethic of the individual installer(s) doing the work.
  • As a gross (over) generalization: Large chain operations tend to have a high rate of technician turnover compared to high-reputation local competing businesses. Ask yourself "Why?" and "Is this in my best interest when I seek quality work?".
  • I'd shop for installation services based on personal examination of similar installs and personal interview of customers, not price first and not online review sites. If an installer can't/won't provide references to customers (granted those will be the satisfied customers) that's a red flag.
  • It's helpful to recognize that any company or individual doing any work must charge a fair price including profit in order to sustain their business. Wages, employee benefits and storefront overhead all enter into that and none are particularly cheap. Time is money for a service provider - think in terms of the time it will take to do a job correctly with all the care and attention to detail you would like the person doing the work to invest in your car.
  • With labor-intensive services, when you seek the lowest price-range you almost always 'get what you pay for'. While good money doesn't always buy good work, good work always costs good money. Unlike 'hardware', skilled labor is not a commodity that can be 'price shopped' with predictable outcomes.
  • Ask yourself: "How much does this company depend on my satisfaction and resultant word-of-mouth reputation (good or bad) for its survival?" For many large chain operations the answer to that question is "Very little if at all."
  • The cost of skilled labor can vary hugely depending on local factors like cost of living, cost of storefront operation and workforce availability - it's very hard to get meaningful price/value guidance without considering those factors (e.g. by asking what people paid or think is 'fair/good' in other locales where you don't know those factors).

IMHO and good luck.

Thank you! Very very helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had my Kenwood Excelon DDX9904S DVD Car Receiver installed with the iDatalink Maestro and iDatalink wiring harness successfully installed.

The only thing is that the steering wheel controls do not work unless the cable from the Sync Screen is disconnected and then plugged into the Kenwood headhunt. The Sync screen remains dim. Not a huge issue because everything works great otherwise. I use the Kenwood for bluetooth.

Anyway to get the screen to turn on and maybe show the date and time or something like that? I don't care if it does anything else just the OCD in me wants it to be on. Maybe even take out the screen and add some sort of a shelf if that's available for purchase somewhere?

I attached what it looks like below.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Currently trying to install a Sony head unit in my 2014 Escape w/ stock rear view camera. Purchased the Scosche FD02SR.

Problems/Solutions:
moved the wires from connector 12 and 7 from the back from the 4.1" display and was able to get backup camera working however, the camera image on the 4.1" display isn't clear, like an old TV with a bad signal.
wipers wig out a little when the car first starts up.
steering controls don't work...
The sony stereo does power on.

I think that I got a bad FD02SR. wiring could be wrong, I'll review that tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is the email that I recently sent to Scosche Support. I'll post reply.

I recently purchased a Scosche FD02SR to use in the installation of a Sony xav-ax100 in my 2014 Ford Escape (with the 4.2" display and OEM backup camera).

The sony head unit powers on and the speakers work correctly. However, the steering wheel controls don't work and the backup camera don't work. I've tried unplugging lines 7 and 12 from the original 4.2" screen plug and putting them in the FR02SR to 4.2" screen plug. The backup camera works some of the time, but the image has static and isn't clear. Also, the 4.2" screen will come on in one of three states seemingly at random. 1. blue block image with temp, date, time. 2. blue block image without temp, date, time. or 3. as if the original radio is turned on, the steering wheel controls will cause a spinning circle (as if it's thinking) but nothing happens.

The wiring seemed straightforward:

Do you tie all the black wires together and yellow wires together? From the FD02SR, head unit plug and adapter plug from the OEM head unit?

Unplug the 4.2" screen and transfer the plug into the FD02SR then insert the plug from the FD02SR to the back of the 4.2" screen.

From reading online another customer posted a recommendation from a scosche customer service rep who suggested unplugging the FD02SR, close the doors, take the key out, wait 7 minutes. Then plug it all back in and start the car. This didn't seem to do anything.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Now I have a bigger problem. I put everything back as it was. I need to drive to work etc. When I started the car now the 4.2" screen is black. Nothing shows up. The radio controls also do nothing. The buttons are not lit. No backup camera.

I pulled the radio etc back out to check the connections. Everything is plugged in. Tight connections.

I've checked fuse 67 (the one for Sync). It was fine.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,337 Posts
..... Any other ideas?
How's F79 look - the 15A fuse for your Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM) and 'radio' / Audio Unit (ACM)?

If that's OK you might try disconnecting your battery (remove the black cable at the jump-post above the underhood fuse box) and leave the cable off without contacting any other metal for ~15 minutes. Per the workshop manual that's the 'master vehicle reset procedure' and may allow things to return to normal.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts