2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my 2015 Ford Escape sat for a month without being driven, and the battery died. I jumpstarted the vehicle and instantly the front wipers went full speed, and I could not turn them off at all. I turned off the vehicle, restarted it, it happened again. The next day I started the car and the front wipers do not work at all, no movement what so ever. I still have not driven the car much at all, due to the wiper issues.

The front washer fluid sprays fine, the rear windshield wiper and washer work great, but no matter what setting on the stalk I use, the front wipers do not come on.

Any idea where to start looking? I searched this forum and scoured google but no results of a similar issue I could find. I'm fairly decent at working on vehicles and am trying to avoid taking it to the dealer if possible.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Hi, my 2015 Ford Escape sat for a month without being driven, and the battery died. I jumpstarted the vehicle and instantly the front wipers went full speed, and I could not turn them off at all. I turned off the vehicle, restarted it, it happened again. The next day I started the car and the front wipers do not work at all, no movement what so ever. I still have not driven the car much at all, due to the wiper issues.

The front washer fluid sprays fine, the rear windshield wiper and washer work great, but no matter what setting on the stalk I use, the front wipers do not come on.

Any idea where to start looking? I searched this forum and scoured google but no results of a similar issue I could find. I'm fairly decent at working on vehicles and am trying to avoid taking it to the dealer if possible.

How old is battery?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How old is battery?
I do not know for sure, it was bought used from a dealership last year, maybe 2-3 years old? Would the battery crapping out cause this?

Do you have FORSCAN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do not, looks like I will need that special FORSCAN adapter to USB to use it? I have one for VW cars, maybe it'll work. I'll see and get back to you.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Start by checking the fuse related to the wipers. It sounds like they somehow shorted out and thus popped the fuse if you could not control them at all and now they do not work.

Where did you put the jumper cables on your car?

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
I do not know for sure, it was bought used from a dealership last year, maybe 2-3 years old? Would the battery crapping out cause this?

I do not, looks like I will need that special FORSCAN adapter to USB to use it? I have one for VW cars, maybe it'll work. I'll see and get back to you.
Quite possible this could be a battery problem. Search this board for battery, BMS, and bad battery. Also, check the battery wires for corrosion. If you replace battery be sure and do BMS reset. That will require Forscan or a dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Start by checking the fuse related to the wipers. It sounds like they somehow shorted out and thus popped the fuse if you could not control them at all and now they do not work.

Where did you put the jumper cables on your car?
I followed what the manual said to do. On donor car, red to red terminal, black to black terminal. The owner manual of my escape said to connect red to red terminal and black to the"extension" of the black terminal, the black wire that mounts to the body to the right of the battery.

Which fuse is the front wipers? I looked up the fuses in the 3 fuse boxes in the manual, and I only saw an entry for rear wipers. My next guess was F46 which is the "Smart Wiper Motor Modules"? Is that it? It's a 40a or 50a fuse cartridge fuse. I don't think I have smart wipers, but that's my only guess?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fuse wasn't blown, just waiting on the forscan scanner right now.

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plugged in for scan and waited a while, googling how it works. I left the windshield wipers on full blast but nothing worked. Suddenly after 10-20 minutes they started full blast again and wouldn’t stop. Turned the car off and they stopped. Turned it back on and they once again would not go at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts