2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I take my wife shopping I like to sit and listen to the radio while waiting, when I stop the engine and set the ignition switch to auxiliary the radio plays for about 1 minute and then goes off and the screen indicates saving battery, I have mentioned this to the dealer I bought from, they inform me it is part of the Ford system, and I or they cannot override it, I do not think this is correct, I have tried different ignition auxiliary combinations to no avail, can someone tell me if it is true,

I am told by the dealer I have to have the engine running to be able to listen to the radio, that could be as much as 45 minutes while my wife shops, that is ridiculous,

Edmund..........Alberta

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
When I take my wife shopping I like to sit and listen to the radio while waiting, when I stop the engine and set the ignition switch to auxiliary the radio plays for about 1 minute and then goes off and the screen indicates saving battery, I have mentioned this to the dealer I bought from, they inform me it is part of the Ford system, and I or they cannot override it, I do not think this is correct, I have tried different ignition auxiliary combinations to no avail, can someone tell me if it is true,

I am told by the dealer I have to have the engine running to be able to listen to the radio, that could be as much as 45 minutes while my wife shops, that is ridiculous,

Edmund..........Alberta
Did you try turning on the radio again to see if it stays on? They all turn off eventually to save the battery but is normally much longer than a minute or so then when turned on again the radio/media will stay on for some time.
I have sat in the car for an hour or so at times listening to music with engine off waiting for my shopping wife without a battery problem. In that time I may have to turn the media back on once.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized that you said you put the car in auxiliary mode to listen to the radio.
As @HayaiKuruma said there is no need to do this and that is probably the reason the radio went off and you got the battery saving message.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
You do not need to turn the ignition to auxiliary mode to use the radio. Simply turn off the car, then hit the power button to the radio and only the radio will turn on. Putting the whole vehicle in auxiliary mode consumes quite a but of power. Also, when your battery is near the end of its life, that message will appear more frequently. When my battery was new I could listen to the radio for at least 15-20 minutes before the message popped up.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
562 Posts
The battery message indicates that your battery is in need of replacement or service (eg corroded cables), basically the system looks at the voltage compared to what is needed to start the car.
Ford's radio play time in accessory mode (or by hitting the power button) is set in the BCM for 20 miniutes, so shutting off in a minute is definitely a battery problem, I don't know why the service writer isn't aware of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The battery message indicates that your battery is in need of replacement or service (eg corroded cables), basically the system looks at the voltage compared to what is needed to start the car.
Ford's radio play time in accessory mode (or by hitting the power button) is set in the BCM for 20 miniutes, so shutting off in a minute is definitely a battery problem, I don't know why the service writer isn't aware of it.
Hi, 54Ford, brand new $200 dollar replacement battery 6 months ago, was doing the same thing with the old battery, 2 minutes and switch off and have to start the engine to reboot,
Went to the car this morning closed the door no key in the ignition pressed radio button on the radio came on for 2 minutes then shut off I have this feeling it has something to do with exiting the vehicle and locking doors and the pause of a few minutes before the lights go off, I think it may be that is the cause,

I have tried all kinds of key operations and positions even opening the door and closing nothing works it stays on for approx 2 minutes and then switches off, I had a 206 Fusion befor5e and that worked fine,

The dealer keeps telling me its a Ford thing to protect the battery (I understand that) but I know it should stay on for at least 15 minutes in the auxiliary position,

Could it be an ignition switch problem???

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You do not need to turn the ignition to auxiliary mode to use the radio. Simply turn off the car, then hit the power button to the radio and only the radio will turn on. Putting the whole vehicle in auxiliary mode consumes quite a but of power. Also, when your battery is near the end of its life, that message will appear more frequently. When my battery was new I could listen to the radio for at least 15-20 minutes before the message popped up.
Haya, brand new $200 dollar replacement battery 6 months ago, was doing the same thing with the old battery, 2 minutes and switch off and have to start the engine to reboot,
Went to the car this morning closed the door no key in the ignition pressed radio button on, the radio came on for 2 minutes then shut off, I have this feeling it has something to do with exiting the vehicle and locking doors and the pause of a few minutes before the lights go off, I think it may be that is the cause,

I have tried all kinds of key operations and positions even opening the door and closing nothing works it stays on for approx 2 minutes and then switches off, I had a 206 Fusion befor5e and that worked fine,

The dealer keeps telling me its a Ford thing to protect the battery (I understand that) but I know it should stay on for at least 15 minutes in the auxiliary position,

Could it be an ignition switch problem???

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sounds like the BMS either wasn't reset when the battery was replaced or a bad BMS sensor.
The sensor is part of the negative battery cable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like the BMS either wasn't reset when the battery was replaced or a bad BMS sensor.
The sensor is part of the negative battery cable.
Thanks for your input to this post, is this something I can do or check? I'm 84 but my profession is tool and die and I still have my faculties and a hobby in Model Engineering, and live steam, or should I contact the dealer?

Could you give a description of the procedure? I do appreciate your willingness to help,

Edmund..........;Alberta,

·
Registered
562 Posts
It's easy to do with ForScan (free download) and an OBDLink EX adapter
DIY Battery Monitor System Reset
To change out the negative cable or the BMS connector the steps are pretty much the same as replacing the battery without actually pulling it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts