2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my 2016 Escape with about 50,000 miles on it nearly overheated because the coolant level got so low. By the time the warning bells went off, the temperature was all the way to the 120 mark on the thermometer. This was after less than one mile of driving. I had to pull over to allow the engine to cool down and then I limped into the Ford dealership since I still have an extended warranty. Turns out that the plastic reservoir and cap (and whatever else is connected to it) had to be replaced because I was losing coolant when I was driving. The cap had malfunctioned and coolant was shooting out when it was sent into the reservoir. Since it didn't happen when I parked the car anywhere, there was no evidence on the ground. I have never heard of anything like this happening to anyone in any other car. I had last checked the coolant level about 3 months prior and there was no issue. The coolant level was fine. Anyone ever heard of something like this happening or was I just ridiculously neglectful?

·
Registered
2017 Escape SE 2.0
33 Posts
Well, are you still losing coolant or did the new parts fix the problem?

Has sudden loss of coolant happened in any other 2016 Escapes, yes the 1.6L engines did and still do have this issue due to coolant leaking into the cylinders.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, problem has been fixed. Coolant level on newer cars was just something I never really worried about but I guess I have to now.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
896 Posts
You also need to watch the coolant level on this series engine.
The 2.0L in the 2016 is the first year of a new "clean sheet" design and these along with the 1.5L 4 cylinder & 2.7L are known to get cracked blocks/blown heads due to a poor design putting a coolant passage in the top of the block as a machined slot.
The improved design uses a bored passage instead.

·
Registered
2017 Escape SE 2.0
33 Posts
You also need to watch the coolant level on this series engine.
The 2.0L in the 2016 is the first year of a new "clean sheet" design and these along with the 1.5L 4 cylinder & 2.7L are known to get cracked blocks/blown heads due to a poor design putting a coolant passage in the top of the block as a machined slot.
The improved design uses a bored passage instead.
At least from the Ford TSB 19-2346, which discuss the 2.0 coolant leak, they do not mention 2016 2.0 Escapes only mention- 2017-2019 Escape built on or before 16-May-2019. It makes me think that the 2016 Escape was not sold with the 2.0 twin scroll. Ford Edge had the 2.0 twin scroll and it is mentioned in the TSB back to 2015 so you would think the TSB would cover Escapes back to 2016 if they had the 2.0 twin scroll.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
896 Posts
The initial problem was traced to an issue at Cleveland Assembly, the SSM covers more than just those.that have the twin scroll.
SSM 47204

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At least from the Ford TSB 19-2346, which discuss the 2.0 coolant leak, they do not mention 2016 2.0 Escapes only mention- 2017-2019 Escape built on or before 16-May-2019. It makes me think that the 2016 Escape was not sold with the 2.0 twin scroll. Ford Edge had the 2.0 twin scroll and it is mentioned in the TSB back to 2015 so you would think the TSB would cover Escapes back to 2016 if they had the 2.0 twin scroll.
Don't know if it matters, but I live in Mexico and my 2016 Escape is a Mexican-built Escape. Getting any kind of resolution to a TSB issue is a nightmare, if not totally impossible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts