2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 Escape is making some noise when I go over bumps or hit and cracks or bumps in the road. It's not overly loud but loud enough for me to hear it when my music and heater fan is on low. I've shaken the car when its parked and don't hear anything.

I watched a few videos and they believe it could be the front stabilizer links. I think it's coming for the passenger side as its louder on the front right tire then the left tire. I could change them out in my driveway this spring. Any else have this issue?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,835 Posts
Could be the links, upper strut mounts, sway bar bushings or even the brake pads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Upon further investigation the rattling seems to be coming from under the car. It's hard to tell either under the passenger seat or just behind it towards the middle. I got under and shook the exhaust and it seems to be fine.

·
Registered
2017 White/Gold Titanium 2.0 AWD
134 Posts
Check the under engine shield. It has been known to get loose or missing screws.

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,835 Posts
That or the exhaust heat shield (that one is attached to the body so you wouldn't hear it shaking the exhaust).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at both. I pulled off heat shields on vehicles I've owned before.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It sounds like a symptom of worn bushings. If you’re able to jack the car up look for anything that has torn rubber. Compare to the other side if possible to see any differences. This would produce rattles over parking lot imperfections but likely not in driving speed bumps or deeper bumps

·
Registered
28 Posts
It sounds like a symptom of worn bushings. If you’re able to jack the car up look for anything that has torn rubber. Compare to the other side if possible to see any differences. This would produce rattles over parking lot imperfections but likely not in driving speed bumps or deeper bumps
Yeah, especially if it's a clunking noise. The inside of the bushings will be egg shaped instead of round.

·
Registered
2014 Escape Titanium
225 Posts
Make sure you check it by (ONLY IF IT SECURELY ON JACK STANDS, OR ON A HOIST) grabbing the top and bottom of the wheel, and see if the wheel moves when rocking it (top in, bottom out, repeat . . .). Side to side would allow too much movement to check some parts accurately. Then do side to side to see if you have EXCESSIVE movement. Side to side, you may be turning the wheels a bit. This will help narrow down the possible problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts