2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford Escape SE 2.0L winter package
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do regular maintenance on my vehicle through dealership and don't drive it a lot. I'm the original owner and has around 63,700 miles and full tank of gas.
Couple days ago the battery light and oil light came on and the car killed and didn't want to start up. Had it jumped started and it was fine no other lights came on. Tonight driving home from MOA the engine light came on and nothing else. Until I was at a stop light in turn lane near my house (25 minutes later) the check engine, oil and battery all came on and it killed. I'm not a car person so my partner had to get in and get it going. Any ideas what it could be? I've never had a check engine light come on with a car only 5 years old. Is this a common thing? I do think I'm due for a new battery it's the original one. But would a battery cause the check engine light to come on? Is it worth bringing my car to an auto parts store to test the dash lights or better to let dealership figure it out? I'm also due for my oil changed as well. When I got home my car started right up but the engine light remained. I have an appointment to bring it in Monday but would appreciate any input. Thank you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I do regular maintenance on my vehicle through dealership and don't drive it a lot. I'm the original owner and has around 63,700 miles and full tank of gas.
Couple days ago the battery light and oil light came on and the car killed and didn't want to start up. Had it jumped started and it was fine no other lights came on. Tonight driving home from MOA the engine light came on and nothing else. Until I was at a stop light in turn lane near my house (25 minutes later) the check engine, oil and battery all came on and it killed. I'm not a car person so my partner had to get in and get it going. Any ideas what it could be? I've never had a check engine light come on with a car only 5 years old. Is this a common thing? I do think I'm due for a new battery it's the original one. But would a battery cause the check engine light to come on? Is it worth bringing my car to an auto parts store to test the dash lights or better to let dealership figure it out? I'm also due for my oil changed as well. When I got home my car started right up but the engine light remained. I have an appointment to bring it in Monday but would appreciate any input. Thank you.
You did not tell what engine you have. Ok to let parts store read the codes, but DO NOT let themn erase them, and than go to dealer advice.for

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Check the oil and coolant before you go anywhere first..Make sure there not below normal levels....If its the org. battery, change it no matter what it might test out..

·
Registered
396 Posts
Before driving it again, you absolutely must check the oil level. I give it about a 5% chance that there is anything wrong with the oil level, but if there is, it would be a catastrophic issue if you continue to drive the vehicle. Beyond that, considering your not going to be fixing anything yourself and already have an appointment with the dealership, I'd keep it simple and just wait till they come back with the diagnostics. It could be a hundred different things and we're only able to guess at them on here without further diagnostics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the oil and coolant before you go anywhere first..Make sure there not below normal levels....If its the org. battery, change it no matter what it might test out..
I don't know anything about the kind of oil it takes. I have the 2.0L bigger engine. Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You did not tell what engine you have. Ok to let parts store read the codes, but DO NOT let themn erase them, and than go to dealer advice.for
Under my username it has the engine size 2.0

·
Registered
2017 White/Gold Titanium 2.0 AWD
134 Posts
It could be the battery connections/Battery. If the engine turns off the oil, battery and check engine light will turn on. It does sound like an electrical problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a new battery put in, topped the coolant that one was a little low. Oil was good. Replaced air filter as it was dirty. Check engine light came back on. The auto parts store couldn't do a diagnosis because he was the only employee. The car isn't stalling and running fine. So not sure what else could be causing it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Got a new battery put in, topped the coolant that one was a little low. Oil was good. Replaced air filter as it was dirty. Check engine light came back on. The auto parts store couldn't do a diagnosis because he was the only employee. The car isn't stalling and running fine. So not sure what else could be causing it.
[/QUO

Hopefully you just have to clear the codes...Don't know if your still going to the dealer or not , they would be able to read them and clear them, so could an AutoZone if you want..Also enough drive cycles if the problem is fixed, will clear the check engine light itself..If your due for an oil change, do it, and reset the oil minder or meter....Also with the new battery, the BMS should be reset by a scan tool....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: so after everything the cause of the check engine light was the Purge valve staying open. Was not a cheap repair close to $500 but my acceleration has improved tremendously.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,899 Posts
Update: so after everything the cause of the check engine light was the Purge valve staying open. Was not a cheap repair close to $500 but my acceleration has improved tremendously.
Glad it is working for you. Thank you for posting a follow up. This should help other member in the future.

·
Registered
2017 White/Gold Titanium 2.0 AWD
134 Posts
Nobody likes a repair bill but it doesn't hurt as much if it fixes the problem. :) May your next repair be far in the future.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It could be the battery connections/Battery. If the engine turns off the oil, battery and check engine light will turn on. It does sound like an electrical problem.
I'm guessing that if it's throwing that many codes, it's likely electrical - a weak battery or a bad ground somewhere. Likely both, from the sound. Are you in the frozen north? If so, corrosion of ground connections is quite common.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts