2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if the topic has been discussed, But I couldn't find when searched. I have a 2016 SE with Sync 3 and the standard radio. I would like to upgrade to the HD radio. I assume its just the radio module and the face plate that need to be purchased and swapped. But wasn't sure if there is any other items that need to be changed/swapped.

Not sure if mine has the amp or not. Don't even know where to look...... Or if its needed?

TYIA

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
The Sony needs the amp and subwoofer as well as the additional wiring looms. The speakers are different to handle the increased power and they are wired differently. You will also need to reprogram the BCM.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
You have Sync 3 with the 9-speaker non-Sony audio, is that correct? If yes, you do not have any external amp.

If all you want is to add only the HD radio feature without all of the other Sony system stuff that can be done pretty easily. You'll need a replacement ACM with the HD module, properly programmed for your vehicle, and a reprogrammed APIM to get the controls to enable/disable the HD feature on your display.

See this thread on the 2G Fusions forum, join and contact member OEM_Radio (Jesse) for all the details and costs OEM Radio Solutions- Service Review

FWIW though that thread includes some stuff with one upset customer, I'm among the many who has done business with Jesse and found him to be totally upright in his dealings. I'd do business with him again.

IF you want the complete Sony upgrade, then, as @atlcarl69 indicated, there's much more involved. IMHO if you want HD radio plus Sony-type upgrades, you're better off getting the HD ACM/APIM thing done and then going aftermarket for the rest (amps, DSP, sub, speaker upgrades .... whatever your heart desires and budget can handle).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have Sync 3 with the 9-speaker non-Sony audio, is that correct? .
Yes, Sync 3 and Non Sony 9 speaker system. Also has Sirius Satellite.

I have upgraded the Sync 3 to NAV. But, I didn't know it(the APIM) would need to be programmed to except the HD radio. Nor did I know the ACM would also need to be programmed. I would have done it all in one shot.

So, I'll probably hold off for now. I might do some research into the programming steps. I understand it might be accomplished with OBDlinx MX and Forscan. I'm likely to need them for maintenance in the future. I understand sourcing the files could be an issue. I like to tinker with stuff. Keeps the brain active learning new things. If I get stuck I'll see if Jesse or Jason can help. But its a business for them. So not likely they will share?

Thanks for all the great info!! :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts