2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 went in for warranty rust repair and the door latch recall (which now gives all doors a better feeling and sounding opening and closing sensation).

Had a 2017 SE 1.5T Escape as a loaner and some comments

1. Handling and feel on the road is nice and sporty and compliant for bumps (Germanesque)
  2. Stop / start feature is ....well worrisome at first.. you lose power steering when in shutdown mode
  3. 1.5T is quite peppy and quiet (for 1 person in the car)
  4. Seats comfortable and supportive / What happened to height adjustable passenger seat ?
  5. Dash controls and buttons are welcomed back / car had NON-touch SYNC
  6. Center dash info display is TOO SMALL and TOO FAR ahead on the dash even none touch should be close
  7. When the backup camera engages you can't see easily so harder to pay attention to the screen
  8. Hatch release now relocated to the lighting COMBO switch ... better when on the center console
  9. Electric e-Brake... should require all drivers to test it before taking delivery (road course)

·
Registered
672 Posts
My 2013 went in for warranty rust repair and the door latch recall (which now gives all doors a better feeling and sounding opening and closing sensation).

1. Handling and feel on the road is nice and sporty and compliant for bumps (Germanesque)
  2. Stop / start feature is ....well worrisome at first.. you lose power steering when in shutdown mode
  4. Seats comfortable and supportive / What happened to height adjustable passenger seat ?
  6. Center dash info display is TOO SMALL and TOO FAR ahead on the dash even none touch should be close
  7. When the backup camera engages you can't see easily so harder to pay attention to the screen
  8. Hatch release now relocated to the lighting COMBO switch ... better when on the center console
  9. Electric e-Brake... should require all drivers to test it before taking delivery (road course)
I'd like to hear about the rust problem being new to Ford...never had rust problems on my German cars, (VW and BMW), but when I see rusted out lower doors and fender wells on American cars, I am concerned that I made the wrong choice in not keeping my old Bimmer.
I have the small 4 inch display, and haven't found it to be a problem at all. New to the electric eBrake, but so far no problems.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3rd rust warranty repair on inside drivers door lower lip. Ford found a missing plug so we will see. All other doors OK.
My 2006 VW GTI has limited chassis to none ! I did nave inside out rust on font fender last year and VW paid for FREE new fender ! 12 Year UNLIMITED warranty for rust.

I have been a manual hand-brake users since 1980 so electric braking is strange to me.

·
Registered
138 Posts

From having a few escapes and from having a 2016 loaner for a day, I agree with these assessments
Particularly,
9 (which actually un-engages if you accidentally apply it while moving)
8. I suspect that more people will complain of hatch location as they accidentally push it while looking for the fogs.
7, camera view is too small and it really doesn't cover the side view at all. So, you still have to have eyes on the walkers at the Walmart lots. but it does zoom in.
4, Just drove our vacation trip and survived two 12 hour days. 1500 miles.
3. my wife's 1.5 with two people and two dogs full trunk got 31 + mpg and still accelerates fine.
2. You get used to it but it still stops right about when the light turns green.
1. almost too quiet for a long drive.

·
Registered
672 Posts
3rd rust warranty repair on inside drivers door lower lip. Ford found a missing plug so we will see. All other doors OK.
My 2006 VW GTI has limited chassis to none ! I did nave inside out rust on font fender last year and VW paid for FREE new fender ! 12 Year UNLIMITED warranty for rust.
I have been a manual hand-brake users since 1980 so electric braking is strange to me.
'84 VW GTI, '95 VW GTI VR6, and '04 BMW X3. The '84 was never garaged and latter two were garaged, and none had any rust after 10-12 years of ownership (northeast US). The '84 had dealer applied Ziebart rust proofing.
re: handbrake: I always used the cable operate brake. Those were relatively ineffective, whether moving or parked, but I found the electric handbrake on the '17 Escape SE is *very* effective. I pulled it once while driving on an empty road area just to try it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts