2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

181 - 200 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Escape 1.5L Eco.
35k miles on it bought certified used 8 months ago. Coolant leak cylinder 2 misfiring..needs new engine. Dealer has been good gave me a loaner and maybe have car back in a month with no costs. Am concerned about running out of warranty..will ford help to extend at no cost otherwise I’m dumping before it runs out.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,877 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think most people seem to get a 12mth warranty? If you haven't, have a read through all the posts in this thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2018 ford escape 10k on engine motor replaced under warranty because of coolant leak in cylinder. What did ford do to fix problem just replace engine?

·
Registered
119 Posts
You should be covered twofold; either the 5/60 PT or the 12/12 that will assuredly come with new engine.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
2018 ford escape 10k on engine motor replaced under warranty because of coolant leak in cylinder. What did ford do to fix problem just replace engine?
The answer depends on what you believe is the root cause of the failure. The ecoboost engines 1.6, 1.5, and post 2016 are all open deck design. That has not changed. What may have changed (at least as noted on some 2.0 threads here) is the machining. A machining slot in the block seems to have been replaced by a hole. Will that correct the problem? Likely, anybody's guess and only time will tell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So contacted ford today and gave them hell. 2018 ford escape 1.5 turbo replaced at 10k. Coolant leaking into cylinder. Asked them what is ford doing for all these engine failures with the 1.5 . Sorry sir we don't see any recalls. Well you need to own this. They gave me a case # and I strongly advise everyone do the same. I'm not replacing an engine with 10k on it. Me and my wife bought them new cause of how far we travel for work and kids. It was covered under warranty but I asked them what happens if this samething happens again. You will own it or I will sue.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape SE 4WD
10 Posts
got mine back today after about two weeks. New short block installed, They did end up covering rental. Also had to replace two valves in transmission for a shimmy I would have in the drive line going between 20-30 miles per hour, fixed a recall on it regarding reprograming the computer, also fixed a oil leak I had coming from the turbo. Stopped at the gas staion on the way home and noticed a clunk when going back and forth between drive and reverse. Looks like back to the Stealership I go.. has 55k on it. This time when I bring it back Im also dropping off my wifes 16 ford explorer for transmission issues as well... hers has 59k on it...

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
Question, how many people have checked the boost pressure the 1.5l EcoBoost 4 cylinder runs? (Via ForScan etc.)

I think I've seen 29PSI mentioned once on here and the same on the UK Kuga forums. I'm no automotive engineer, but if correct that seems really high?

Part of the reason I'm asking is Toyota have released a 1.6l, 3 cylinder turbo which outputs 200kW. It's running 10.5:1 compression but only 17PSI boost to get that 200kW/ 370Nm. Granted the EcoBoost probably has flatter power and torque curves.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Part of the reason I'm asking is Toyota have released a 1.6l, 3 cylinder turbo which outputs 200kW. It's running 10.5:1 compression but only 17PSI boost to get that 200kW/ 370Nm. Granted the EcoBoost probably has flatter power and torque curves.
Can’t wait for the Toyota GR Corolla “hot hatch”! Keeping a close eye on that one.

Reactions: murcod

·
Registered
411 Posts
Question, how many people have checked the boost pressure the 1.5l EcoBoost 4 cylinder runs? (Via ForScan etc.)

I think I've seen 29PSI mentioned once on here and the same on the UK Kuga forums. I'm no automotive engineer, but if correct that seems really high?

I wouldn't choose a turbo charged engine over non-turbo for any reason. I just don't see them lasting as long regardless of boost.

·
Registered
411 Posts
So contacted ford today and gave them hell. 2018 ford escape 1.5 turbo replaced at 10k. Coolant leaking into cylinder. Asked them what is ford doing for all these engine failures with the 1.5 . Sorry sir we don't see any recalls. Well you need to own this. They gave me a case # and I strongly advise everyone do the same. I'm not replacing an engine with 10k on it. Me and my wife bought them new cause of how far we travel for work and kids. It was covered under warranty but I asked them what happens if this samething happens again. You will own it or I will sue.
If they won't buy back have you considered selling it or trading on a different car/truck?

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
I wouldn't choose a turbo charged engine over non-turbo for any reason. I just don't see them lasting as long regardless of boost.
Maybe true back in the 1980's. I'll soon be onto my 4th turbocharged vehicle since 1990, with no complaints from me on any of them. Two were higly modified and driven hard- back in my younger days.

Ford just seem to have had some serious design/ development issues with certain EcoBoost engine models. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Maybe true back in the 1980's. I'll soon be onto my 4th turbocharged vehicle since 1990, with no complaints from me on any of them. Two were higly modified and driven hard- back in my younger days.

Ford just seem to have had some serious design/ development issues with certain EcoBoost engine models. Just my thoughts.
What is the highest mileage you had before any issues showed up or you sold it?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Has anyone had any luck using a lemon law attorney to get Ford to buy back the car?
Not the Escape but I had Ford buy buy a 2007 Expedition. In California you can do it with or without an attorney. Check your states laws/requirments. I did it without-filled out forms, filed and a day before the hearing Ford called and bought it back. It's easier with attorney.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Escape and the engine block was replaced at 14K miles for coolant leak. The dealer could not assure me that this would not happen again so apparently Ford has done nothing to fix the original problem. Probably cheaper to fix the bad engines than to replace their tooling. Best option is to get rid of the vehicle when 5 year, 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty expires and buy a Toyota.

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
apparently Ford has done nothing to fix the original problem. Probably cheaper to fix the bad engines than to replace their tooling.
Read through the posts on here. Changes to the engine block have been reported along with photos of the changed area.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Read through the posts on here. Changes to the engine block have been reported along with photos of the changed area.
Was this recent? I see people with multiple replacement engines for same failure.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Was this recent? I see people with multiple replacement engines for same failure.
Yes. Recent. Read posts. Will it fix problem is yet to be determined IMO.

181 - 200 of 238 Posts