2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

221 - 240 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
The local Ford dealer here told us they have performed almost 100 engine replacements over the past year for the coolant intrusion problem. They also stated the age and mileage of the engine failure incidents were all over the map.
what a waste. built to fail with little to no real campaign to address this in the last ten years. chickens coming home and doing what chickens are wont to do, etcetera.

I may move to an Acura

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium FWD 1.5L Ecoboost
18 Posts
I checked our engine coolant level and it is fine. The engine temperature gauge is operating perfectly. We just recently had the oil changed and tires rotated. Our odometer currently reads 26,170 and we always use Top Tier gasoline. I live in metropolitan Detroit and asked a few car people I know already about this coolant seepage engine problem, and I haven't found anyone yet who knows anything substantial. I will check in with our local dealership here this summer to see if Ford will be providing any additional warranty coverage for this specific problem, and will go from there. Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I checked our engine coolant level and it is fine. The engine temperature gauge is operating perfectly. We just recently had the oil changed and tires rotated. Our odometer currently reads 26,170 and we always use Top Tier gasoline. I live in metropolitan Detroit and asked a few car people I know already about this coolant seepage engine problem, and I haven't found anyone yet who knows anything substantial. I will check in with our local dealership here this summer to see if Ford will be providing any additional warranty coverage for this specific problem, and will go from there. Thank you everyone.
couple of things to read:

good luck guys

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape 1.5Ltr
5 Posts
Hello everyone,

Just dropped off my Escape due to Cylinder #4 misfire. Coolant was empty upon arrival, was unaware. Confirmed short block issue, parts on order. Was told to “keep and eye” on the coolant levels. Also, they said rental will be given upon parts arrival. 85,000KM’s, warranty in Canada is 100,000KM.

Should I ask for a rental for right now?
Will Ford extend my Warranty?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello everyone,

Just dropped off my Escape due to Cylinder #4 misfire. Coolant was empty upon arrival, was unaware. Confirmed short block issue, parts on order. Was told to “keep and eye” on the coolant levels. Also, they said rental will be given upon parts arrival. 85,000KM’s, warranty in Canada is 100,000KM.

Should I ask for a rental for right now?
Will Ford extend my Warranty?
I wouldn't be driving it. Yea. Take the rental.

·
Registered
13 Posts
They told me the same thing. The car died the next day and had to be towed. I don't know why they tell people to drive these cars after being diagnosed. I would think you could damage it even more.
Mine had 16,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape 1.5Ltr
5 Posts
They told me the same thing. The car died the next day and had to be towed. I don't know why they tell people to drive these cars after being diagnosed. I would think you could damage it even more.
Mine had 16,000 miles on it.
I called Ford Canada, they are supporting the decision on the Rental not being provided and would not give me any details of the warranty at this time. They said to call back in 10 days if the Dealer doesn't get the parts in.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape 1.5Ltr
5 Posts
Update..

Ford claims they reduced 3 week delivery time for parts to 5 days, interesting.. they claim they’ll be in on the 9th and to drop off my Escape on the 11th.

Rental Car will be provided, no word yet on warranty on extension.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,128 Posts
I've created a new thread for the 2.5l engine example that was originally posted in here. Otherwise it gets a bit too confusing as to what engine is being discussed.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape AWD SE 1.5L Ecoboost
2 Posts
Update..

Ford claims they reduced 3 week delivery time for parts to 5 days, interesting.. they claim they’ll be in on the 9th and to drop off my Escape on the 11th.

Rental Car will be provided, no word yet on warranty on extension.
I'm in Ontario. Just picked up a 2017 escape awd se from a lovely oll'lady. Only 10000kms mint condition. I was sooo excited, got winter tires and custom mats. And then I find out about the potential for the coolant intrusion. I notice white smoke in the exhaust. Coolant level was below min so I took it to a dealer 3 days ago to top it up. Tonight I decide to check and it's at the min mark! I'm not sure if I should take it in right away or wait. How long is the engine replacement supposed to take?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in Ontario. Just picked up a 2017 escape awd se from a lovely oll'lady. Only 10000kms mint condition. I was sooo excited, got winter tires and custom mats. And then I find out about the potential for the coolant intrusion. I notice white smoke in the exhaust. Coolant level was below min so I took it to a dealer 3 days ago to top it up. Tonight I decide to check and it's at the min mark! I'm not sure if I should take it in right away or wait. How long is the engine replacement supposed to take?
I think if you have over a 1.6L engine you are on the wrong forum, at least that's what I was told. A forum for people with 2.5L engines has been set up but I can't find it. Good luck.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,442 Posts
I think if you have over a 1.6L engine you are on the wrong forum, at least that's what I was told. A forum for people with 2.5L engines has been set up but I can't find it. Good luck.
The member never listed the engine he has. Never said anything to do with the 1.6 or 2.5 engines.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,128 Posts
A forum for people with 2.5L engines has been set up but I can't find it. Good luck.
Try reading two posts above your last post:

I've created a new thread for the 2.5l engine example that was originally posted in here. Otherwise it gets a bit too confusing as to what engine is being discussed.

I think if you have over a 1.6L engine you are on the wrong forum, at least that's what I was told.
The poster said a 2017 model. The 1.6l EcoBoost was replaced quite a few years before that with the subject 1.5l EcoBoost. ;)

PS: If everyone added their vehicle model into their own Profile it would save so much confusion over what vehicle is being talked about!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2019 at dealer with 3500 miles on it....two months ago. Just found out the engine needs to be replaced due to coolant leak into block. Seriously??!! Is this a problem Ford knew about as per bulletin? Recourse?
I think Ford should replace and re-torque the head gasket on all engines which could exhibit this problem. Why wait until the engines must be replaced? Why should owners have to worry about the dependability of their Ford vehicles!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I think Ford should replace and re-torque the head gasket on all engines which could exhibit this problem. Why wait until the engines must be replaced? Why should owners have to worry about the dependability of their Ford vehicles!
Sadly the head gasket is not normally the problem otherwise it would be a cheaper fix. The drama usually results from cracks forming in the block resulting in engine replacement in many cases.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape 1.5Ltr
5 Posts
Update, Ford will not give me any additional warranty above my 100,000KM limited. What happens if the short block continues to have issues?

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium FWD 1.5L Ecoboost
18 Posts
Update, Ford will not give me any additional warranty above my 100,000KM limited. What happens if the short block continues to have issues?
What will happen is Duston gets stuck with the bill. A few months ago when we took my parent's Escape in for an oil change, our service advisor told us that he really felt Ford would be offering extended warranty coverage on the engine for the coolant intrusion problem. I read that a class action lawsuit is in the works for this matter, so it is very possible, but who really knows for sure?

221 - 240 of 267 Posts